• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

LOTR-SRB2 Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
That.. is a REALLY big filesize O_O *sits here and downloads it*
Good luck on trying to get any 56kers to download it.

This is awfully extensive.

One major flaw throughout: Lots of areas are extremely dark. You use OpenGL, I'm guessing? Some of these are so dark they're totally unplayable in software without gamma correction. There is an area in the Moria Mines level so dark I went to gamma level 4 and still could barely see. (I stopped on that level.) I'm sure that area looks very cool in OpenGL, but I can't play it that way.

It was also rather confusing walking around looking for buttons, thinking "What on earth am I supposed to do next?" I suppose that's the intent, though. It's pretty cool except for all the pitch black I kept seeing.

Nope. Software with high brightness and LCD screen. But, are you sure that when Frodo and Co. didn't pass through Moria, it wasn't that dark? Moria is supposed to be a "maze" like level. It isn't very mazey, but with the darkness, it looks that way.

Also, am I using up too much bandwidth?

EDIT: Corrupt ZIP file? I'll do a CRC check on that.

Seriously, man, you need to fix your website images. That's impossibly slow-loading. It doesn't even look very good.

Two seconds of work, but I seem to have corrupted it a bit: http://mystic.sepwich.com/Navabar.gif

I'm sure it could be compressed lower, but 33 KB is MUCH better.

Also, the main file appears to be corrupt.

First, the zip file isn't corrupt, it's just compressed differrently, I couldn't extract the file with the default windows thingie, had to use 7-zip.
Second, I haven't played through it completely, but it seems pretty good :D. Though there's quite a few opengl glitches.

Slopes in srb2!
[img=http://img124.exs.cx/img124/9359/slope8fw.th.png]
Hmm.. that link didn't work the way it was supposed to o.O Oh well.

Nope. CRCs match. You might try redownloading it again, Shadow Hog. And, you must have a ZIP editor that supports Deflate64.

Wow. That's pretty!
Use software, as I don't have a fix for that... Yet...

Oh, and use the switch SRB2WIN.EXE -FILE "LOTR.wad", as using the console doesn't do anything much.

And, I compressed Navabar.PNG. 67 KBs is much better, don't you think?

All compressed. 67 KBs. Good enough?
Oops... Wait... What's that grey doing there?
I'll use your 50Kb version. I'm too lazy to open up the GIMP. Thanks, a441.

Wait... you chpped off the shadow to the right... Minor inconvinience. Just like the box in my DL section.
EDIT: My original was like that. Sorry.

Shall I make a self extracting archive?

Maybe; I don't see why I should have to download YET ANOTHER ZIP-unlocking thingy when I already have XP's native method (which works fairly well) and WinRAR.

Well I've played through most of it, it's pretty good, nice job :D.
I have one gripe, though.. Why the seemingly random death pits? There's pits in places so I decided to explore and I die because I didn't know it was a pit x_x.
Also, why is one of the small parts of water in map 07 an instant death upon touching it?

PDFs are the most annoying filetype ever. Don't use it, like, ever. Also, why in hell do we need to use another .zip extractor, anyhow? Just make a normal .zip. Compression isn't that much better, especially with all the OGG files you've jammed into there. I'd suggest taking all the music out until you're ready for a full release, so you can allow people to test without such a large download. If the music is that important, include it as a seperate file like a lot of the bigger WADs have been doing. That way people don't have to download a 19 MB file just to play your stages.

In terms of level design, it was a major mixed bag. There were sections I truly enjoyed, like the fighting of syns in the dark, and the 4th map really was quite fun, but I sense a major issue in the entire level pack:

Buttons suck. Mazes suck.

We've already established that Castle Eggman is rather dull because of the overuse of buttons. Especially the first level was just a tedious searching of the exit by randomly jumping on everything. I just don't find that fun. I'd much rather run or fight enemies than jump on everything that happens to be higher than the surrounding terrain.

In terms of mazes, there were a few stages I simply couldn't find the exit to, and just gave up. I don't enjoy walking up to a blocked door, and then having to search the stage for anything resembling a button by turning around. Likewise, I really don't like it when I can't even find a path I'm supposed to be going on, like MAP06. I don't mean because of the darkness, I could see the paths mostly okay, and I liked the dark. However, I couldn't find any routes and just walked around in circles. After a good 5 minutes of this, I just used NOCLIP and walked through the wall that I knew led to a turret. I don't consider any map that I have to cheat to find my way out of the opening room to be fun.

I'd really suggest trying to do more traditional level design, with minimal buttons and more straight-forward level layout. Just because your theme is weird doesn't mean you have to have subpar level design.

You know, it really wasn't that hard to figure out, you just walk through both of the paths and a wall should open up, if you're talking about the level I think you are.
But whatever, the buttons actually ARE pretty annoying..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back