Fixed Inconsistent Mouse jiter for Srb2win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

That2rb2DUDE

Pro Splatoon 2 Player
I've noticed for a year now that the mouse movement in srb2win awkwardly stops responding for about a 1/4 of a second when just simply moving it around randomly during gameplay. This occurs in OpenGL & Software mode in every resolution and did not happen in srb2dd.

(Would recommend you turn off Mouse Acceleration in Windows Mouse settings when you test this).

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't reproduce this. The issue is probably specific to your computers, as that seems to be the case with the majority of SDL2 issues.

Well for my computer, I have this issue as well. (Although I thought it was like it jumped back a little every couple of tics, not just ignoring mouse movement completely.) So I can also confirm this issue is an actual problem (even if just for some people).

Well for my computer, I have this issue as well. (Although I thought it was like it jumped back a little every couple of tics, not just ignoring mouse movement completely.) So I can also confirm this issue is an actual problem (even if just for some people).

For me the sensitivity that i use for DD is 360° worthy on srb2win. If i were to lower the sensitivity on srb2win it would be way to slow and i have put way more effort when i am moving the mouse.

The movement for me becomes inconsistent and can be abrupt.

If you have a spare mouse to test with, does the issue still occur on it? If not (or if you can't confirm), what's the model of your mouse?

Also, what settings are you using? Does changing any of them (e.g. lowering your mouse's DPI, if your mouse has such an option) work around the issue?

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Double-posting because I can.

https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/97ef3vb5sjjh256p/artifacts/master-ea38ae3-SDL.7z

See if the issue still occurs in this build. I'm not sure it'll fix things, but it's worth a shot I guess?

...Hm. Looks like my result from before is actually invalid. The mouse jitters in the EXE I compiled myself after 2.1.15's release, doesn't jitter in the build you linked to... and doesn't jitter in 2.1.15's default build either. (Still odd that it'd jitter in my compile, but I guess that's something I did wrong myself when compiling, though I don't see how, as I pretty much only changed the menus to be more controller-friendly, nothing else.)

Last edited:
If you have a spare mouse to test with, does the issue still occur on it? If not (or if you can't confirm), what's the model of your mouse?

Also, what settings are you using? Does changing any of them (e.g. lowering your mouse's DPI, if your mouse has such an option) work around the issue?

So I've tested this on 3 different mice.

My main mouse Logitech G400s set to 400 DPI (Optical mouse)

(Also tested this with 1200 DPI since the mouse has software with it)

2nd mouse Roccat tyon set to 400 DPI (Laser Mouse)

3rd mouse Hp optical mouse forced set at 1200 DPI.

The jittering was still there for all three of these I would say its less noticeable if you use a high sensitivity or high dpi but it is still there and gives inconsistent responses. As a guy who is uses to a low DPI and slow sensitivity its a pretty big problem even when I'm just playing single player.
The mouse worked perfectly fine in srb2DD so i'm not to sure if seeing how it performed there compared to srb2win would help solve this.

Why SDL mouse sucks

OK, the Issue with the mouse, is we do an old Quake/Unreal trick, once game "noticed" the had mouse moved, we wrap it back to the middle of screen.

But at high DPI, the mouse can escape the game window (at both windowed and full screen), so yea, no more mouse input data after that point

We need someone to use SDL2's Relative Mouse Mode so make the OS handle the keeping the mouse locked to the game screen and also send us delta of mouse input.

Anyone (that is not using a Linux/GNU X11) help us code to fix this up?

Why not Linux/GNU X11 system? well, if the game crashed while the mouse is in this mode... well, that mouse is gone until the user restart the desktop....

Wow, I have the exact same problem with the mouse in SDL2 version (srb2win.exe).

OK, the Issue with the mouse, is we do an old Quake/Unreal trick, once game "noticed" the had mouse moved, we wrap it back to the middle of screen.

But at high DPI, the mouse can escape the game window (at both windowed and full screen), so yea, no more mouse input data after that point

We need someone to use SDL2's Relative Mouse Mode so make the OS handle the keeping the mouse locked to the game screen and also send us delta of mouse input.

Anyone (that is not using a Linux/GNU X11) help us code to fix this up?

Why not Linux/GNU X11 system? well, if the game crashed while the mouse is in this mode... well, that mouse is gone until the user restart the desktop....

I'd gladly try to help if I ever figure out how to compile the SDL2 exe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back