Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what's wrong with the Thok Barrier in SWZ? I looked at it, couldn't figure out what you were talking about...
Huge parts of it are hundreds of fracunits lower than the bordering sectors. It doesn't make a difference in SWZ1 because both the floor and ceiling of the Thok Barrier are skies, but in general this is a significant design error, and I oppose it on principle.

I don't know if this has been said already, but I just thought of it today.

The story of this mod is about Eggman enslaving an alien race to serve his evil purposes.

So is Sonic Colors. Weird.

Of course, this mod existed before Sonic Colors was even announced, so I'm certainly not accusing anyone of copying. I just thought it was a weird coincidence.

You know, I started to wonder why is there only one music for all of the Zone cutscenes when I listened to the SRB2 OST downloadable on the main site. Why don't you use diffrent music implented in SRB2 for each diffrent scene? There are variety of themes that might fit that, like the Misc Multiplayer Music.
In short: Why not to use diffrent song for each Zone introduction cutscene?

SNowcap Nimbus needs a TEENY bit more work, and then it's done. Expect it tonight, or at latest tomorrow. At least, tonight in my timezone.

Finished it. I am SO FREAKING HAPPY with this song. Sorry, I need to get to bed, I don't have time to put it on Soundcloud right now, but I'll wake up and do it first thing in the morning.

Let me know the instant you do. I can't wait to hear this.

By an interesting coincidence, Snowcap Nimbus Zone itself just got some improvements. The 2D gimmick was tweaked a little, and some small retexturing has been done throughout both acts. One of the large, open areas in SNZ1 had its walls pulled in to remove useless space, and was made to look better. Plus one or two bugs were fixed, and the levels were optimized. Other stuff was done too, but I've covered the most noteworthy things.

Last edited:
Fawfulfan, are you planning on soccing another enemy? A fire shooting enemy could be cool...?
Or maybe CastleBot Facestabbers that can't be beaten if theyre stabbing?

Here it is: Snowcap Nimbus Zone Act 2

I am deliriously happy with this song right now, so it'll be up to you guys to tell me whats wrong with it. Again, I exceeded the Lo-Fi feel of Srb2, but, I don't really care if nobody else in charge (That would be Fawfulfan) cares.

It wasn't even intentional, but this song reminds me of Icecap from Sonic Adventure.

Fawfulfan, I somehow feel you're not really doing much to improve this pack anymore. You're just fixing some minor problems with the already existing content instead of actually trying to get the lacking content up to par (and there's lots of it). Sure, to really improve your level pack from ground up, you would have to rebuild most levels from scratch while keeping only the good parts and ideas. Yes, that would probably take ages and you probably don't have that time. But if you honestly feel you don't have that time anymore, why don't you declare this pack done and move on instead of fine-tuning stuff of which 40% need to be replaced altogether? I mean seriously, why are wasting time with texture alignment? Who cares about that? Either do serious work to this or leave it as it is, but please don't tinker with unimportant stuff while leave the big problems unaddressed. That doesn't help anything.

I agree with spiritcrusher. You are improving small things in the level pack that aren't really noticeable...And what happen with AAZ and SWZ? I think that you should try to focus the next update in the final levels. After all SWZ and AAZ are the last zones and have to be good designed like the first levels in your level pack. Also don't rush your update try to take all time you need so you could make an impressive version of TP!

Also don't rush your update try to take all time you need so you could make an impressive version of TP!

Heheh, don't worry, he's waiting for my music to release the next pack. Considering my rate of music making, it'll be quite a while, he'll have a lot of time to make improvements.

Here's the thing: I actually have been doing some moderate adjustments to the levels, but the bulk of this has been finished. If it weren't for the fact that I wanted to wait for Charybdizs's music to be done, I'd release it today. But since I have a long wait, I felt I might as well devote some time to tiny things that under normal circumstances any designer would overlook. It makes the levels a bit more polished, for one thing. And, even more importantly, by combing and scrutinizing the levels as I am, I do run into things here and there that I decide to legitimately improve. Admittedly there isn't much in the manner of new paths, but there are plenty of differences to the old paths. In fact, there are thousands of small differences and dozens of moderate differences, and these add up. Texture alignment in particular isn't just about the textures, for example--it encourages me to comb every inch of my levels. It means that I find glitches that I would have otherwise overlooked.

My hope is to create a meticulously polished and clean baseline upon which I can build new things and correct old things. I hope to seriously tackle bigger problems in v10.0. But even so, expect pleasant surprises from v9.0. Don't think I've forgotten about the bigger issues; I'm just trying to boil things down so that it will be easier to address them later on.

And the new music lives up to expectations as always. Well done. But for some strange reason, one of your songs on SoundCloud doesn't seem to be part of the Tortured Planet set, at least as far as the website is concerned. It says 4 tracks when there are 5.

Last edited:
Fawfulfan, I got some suggestions to you. That post SpiritCrusher said before gave me some ideas. The damn Emerald Platform. It could have some cool effect. Just step on it and you're done. NO. Remember that teleporter on Spacewalk 2 you got from ERZ2? You can make something like. And I don't like only getting the emeralds for skip a HUGE part of the game. I think there must be a kinda Final Fight Zone. Sonic, with all emeralds, must defeated a big Eggman's machine miles away from Eeturia (would be good to see the planet down there :D). The scenery would be impressive.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I hacked LGZ2 Sonic's emblem to get it because the place it was defined by the level header was inside a wall.

Last edited:
Why don't you use that time so start doing the big improvements?
In some cases, I actually have. There are plenty of problems that were totally resolved. Remember node errors? Their removal is going to make Tortured Planet a much more agreeable level pack to play in Coop. And a bunch of gimmicks have been modified. I have followed some of your design advice for a few levels (won't spoil which ones here), and I have effected a lot of scenery improvement throughout the pack. Glitches everywhere have been fixed. AAZ1 is a bit better now. The Emerald Platform has been modified to work differently (and better, IMO). A new easter egg was added. I could go on.

Doing simple stuff to Tortured Planet like texture alignment and optimization is kind of a "break period" for me--a few days of relatively easy tasks so I can have some time off. But it is just the tip of the iceberg for changes in v9.0. I'm very proud of a lot of these changes, and I think you won't be disappointed.

What I mean is that the soundtrack will take a few weeks at least, probably longer than your optimization will take. What will you do after you're done with that and you still have plenty of time to wait for the soundtrack?

Also, I will be disappointed until you start picking rooms that are bad, delete them and remake them from scratch. That's the only way to make big improvements to your pack without introducing other problems.

Just a few things offhand:

1) Practically nobody plays the match rotation (and the maps are seriously still not very good) so I would think about banishing them to a seperate WAD at this point

2) What The Heck Zone (the only one of those that is fun) needs tunes 25, desperately

3) Other than maybe Fire Flight, don't make the contest stages unlockables, there's no point whatsoever

4) I'm not rooting through this giant thread to see if it's already been suggested, but don't overwrite vanilla SRB2's map slots, much less the music slots. I would think that's asking for unexpected trouble.

I think there must be a kinda Final Fight Zone. Sonic, with all emeralds, must defeated a big Eggman's machine miles away from Eeturia (would be good to see the planet down there :D). The scenery would be impressive.
For a extra final boss for this, I allways thought of a giant mutate alien Eggman accidently created for torturing the planet, for an odd reason...
Or something like that, it could also be some sort of a legendary beast from the planet...? Dunno.
Also, what's Eeturia?

What I mean is that the soundtrack will take a few weeks at least, probably longer than your optimization will take. What will you do after you're done with that and you still have plenty of time to wait for the soundtrack?

Also, I will be disappointed until you start picking rooms that are bad, delete them and remake them from scratch. That's the only way to make big improvements to your pack without introducing other problems.

The next thing I have on my itinerary is an attempt to do some massive organizational modifications to the WAD. I am going to see if I can organize Tortured Planet's maps and things a little more like Mystic Realm, so that far less gets overwritten from main SRB2 (Yes, Mr. Mystery, I think your idea is a good one). I don't know how well that will go, and it might fail miserably, but I will at least put in a good faith effort. I'm also going to see about changing the overwritten textures to true custom-inserted textures, and use freeslots for music.

I do have plans to start changing rooms as well, but I'm not sure how much of that I can do in this version. What I hope to do here is release a clean, stable, and fresh version which is an ideal platform on which to start making more serious renovations. But in the meantime, there'll be plenty for everyone to enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back