XWE. Help me please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speed2411

Speed2411
I just got a new computer, and I had to reinstall most of my things. XWE was included in this. My new computer is windows 8, and when I try to launch XWE, it gives me a error message saying, "Failed to create key .wad," and also tells me, "List index out of bounds. (0)."

I press okay on both messages, then attempt to open up a wad file. Then it tells me, "List index out of bounds. (0)," again and the wad file won't open up.

Can someone please help me. It would mean a lot to me. :D

I think XWE doesn't work on Vista and upwards, you might have to use Slade3 or something else.

Last edited:
If it is searching for the IWAD, and I made the mistake of deleting the IWAD (Did not really,) then how would I go in XWE's options screen and change the file source? I searched all around and there was none.

You can change it by looking at the bottom of "xwe.ini", which can be viewed as a regular text file.

The line to change will be the "MainWAD" line not preceded by a semicolon (;). Be wary of the format it requires though:

MainWAD,<location>,<filename>

You can change it by looking at the bottom of "xwe.ini", which can be viewed as a regular text file.

The line to change will be the "MainWAD" line not preceded by a semicolon (;). Be wary of the format it requires though:

Ah. Thanks. I'll try that.

Okay, so I tried that and it gave me the same message. The only thing different this time is that it says, "List out of bounds, (3)." Did I do it wrong?

MainWAD,C:\Users\Speed\Downloads\Srb2 V. 2.0.6\srb2.srb <One I changed<
Run Map,C:\Doom\ZDooM\,ZDOOM.EXE
Nodes Builder,C:\Doom\TOOLS\ZenNode\win32\,ZENNODE.EXE
Action Script Compiler,C:\Doom\builder\,ACC.EXE
Mus2Midi Utility,C:\Doom\TOOLS\Mus2Mid\,MUS2MIDI.EXE
;MainWAD,C:\Doom\Others\Hexen\,HEXEN.WAD
Midi2Mus Utility,C:\Doom\TOOLS\DeePsea\,MIDI2MUS.EXE

Anything else I need to change here? Also, do I have to have all the XWE files in the same folder, or can I have it in a totally unrelated different folder?

Last edited:
Here's your solution: stop using XWE. That it's functional is the nicest thing I can say about it, because it's pretty awful in most other respects - notably, automatically saving your WAD in ways you don't want it to (it's been known to tangle up Doom maps, and SRB2's TEXTURE1 lump doesn't play nice with it, so you could corrupt that lump as well).

SLADE. Use it. It's much better. Handles multiple lump file formats like a champ, lets you have multiple files open at once to copy lumps in between, lets you revert bad changes you made to a lump (unlike XWE which saves them, forever), and even has SRB2's palette listed among its lengthy list of built-in palettes, for ease of graphic conversion. You can get a stable copy here, a precompiled SVN version here, or compile your own from here (if you know how, because I haven't actually tried).

And the prize for the best answer of the decade Goes to shadow hog. >Insert speech here.<

But really. Thanks a lot. I mainly used XWE for level headers and stuff but Slade sounds like it will help me much more. Thank you. :D

Anything else I need to change here? Also, do I have to have all the XWE files in the same folder, or can I have it in a totally unrelated different folder?

Just put in a comma before srb2.srb and it should work fine. (I did warn you about the format being "location,filename")

ShadowHog: As much as SLADE is better in general and all, yes, I at least just can't trust it when it comes to texture editing. One time it crashed so bad it caused my screen to become completely black, had to restart my computer to get it back to normal. XWE on the other hand has never really crashed at all for texture editing, at least for me.

Last edited:
ShadowHog: As much as SLADE is better in general and all, yes, I at least just can't trust it when it comes to texture editing. One time it crashed so bad it caused my screen to become completely black, had to restart my computer to get it back to normal. XWE on the other hand has never really crashed at all for texture editing, at least for me.
I have no idea what you encountered, because texture editing in SLADE is remarkably straightforward and bug-free on my end. Never encountered any errors like that. Meanwhile, you need specialized lumps for XWE (because the stock ones corrupt easily), and any change you make is irreversible... blegh, no thank you.

Last edited:
I have no idea what you encountered, because texture editing in SLADE is remarkably straightforward and bug-free on my end. Never encountered any errors like that. Meanwhile, you need specialized lumps for XWE (because the stock ones corrupt easily), and any change you make is irreversible... blegh, no thank you.

You do have a point... But I honestly won't be using textures any time soon. Perhaps in the future, but I have other priorities. Like level headers and programming my final boss. XWE just seems easier to me...
But I guess I can try Slade.

SLADE's perfectly fine for editing lump files. Even has some syntax highlighting, although presently none of that applies to SRB2 lumps. (Dunno if I should bother Simon Judd or Gez to include some or not...)

Just put in a comma before srb2.srb and it should work fine. (I did warn you about the format being "location,filename")

Still having the problem.

MainWAD,C:\Users\Speed\Downloads\Srb2 V. 2.0.6\,srb2.srb
Run Map,C:\Doom\ZDooM\,ZDOOM.EXE
Nodes Builder,C:\Doom\TOOLS\ZenNode\win32\,ZENNODE.EXE
Action Script Compiler,C:\Doom\builder\,ACC.EXE
Mus2Midi Utility,C:\Doom\TOOLS\Mus2Mid\,MUS2MIDI.EXE
;MainWAD,C:\Doom\Others\Hexen\,HEXEN.WAD
Midi2Mus Utility,C:\Doom\TOOLS\DeePsea\,MIDI2MUS.EXE

It's fine. I will just switch to Slade instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back