What's In Store For v2.2.10(Back Open)

not a chance, while still technically possible it would require far too many sprites to pull off making custom characters not very fun to create, and you can't just force everybody to use opengl and models, it could technically be possible in 2d mode with sprite rotations but i wouldn't count on it
why does everyone think loops would require more character sprites?

why does everyone think loops would require more character sprites?
Because they would. You'd need sprites of the character from a bird's eye view and intermediates between a bird's eye view and the usual side view, plus a bunch of rotations for those, all just so they can run through loops. Asymmetric characters like Fang would especially create trouble.

Because they would. You'd need sprites of the character from a bird's eye view and intermediates between a bird's eye view and the usual side view, plus a bunch of rotations for those, all just so they can run through loops. Asymmetric characters like Fang would especially create trouble.
Bird's eye?
There's no reason why they can't just rotate the sprites like they do for slopes

idk what you mean but if sonic runs up a greenflower zone slope his sprite will be angled or whatever so i dont see why it couldnt do that for loops
What I mean is that his sprite isn't angled in vanilla, not even in 2.2.9. That's currently a mod. 2.3 gifs indicate it will be a feature in 2.3, but it isn't one currently.

Also, loops generally have a variety of gameplay issues, such as being far more likely to just be jumped through than used.

Bird's eye?
There's no reason why they can't just rotate the sprites like they do for slopes

You can only rotate the side angles, for front/back/diagonals you cannot do this.

Some 7 years ago I drew this quick MSPaint image to visually show how many angle sprites would be needed just for a single frame of animation, if you allow for Sonic to stand a wall for sideways gravity, loops and so on. Multiply this by the roughly 40 or 50 frames a character may have and you get many hundreds, even if you cut out redundant sprites here.

why_sideways_g_needs_more_sprites_extended.PNG

Remember that this is a 3D game so you want to be able to see your character from all angles, not just the side. Especially in multiplayer when you can't use the camera to hide away the front/back/diagonal views necessarily.

This feature alone would make it a 2.3 mechanic since it’s such a game changer. It’d also change up how modding works and probably add a couple months of development per character (I am very happy about it:dramahog:)

:knuxsmug:I suspect they will add the ability to customize character color (outside of multiplayer) and maybe make the master server better
Post automatically merged:

Huh? Is that a rule? I mean yeah, 2.6 and 2.3 weren't very major, but I don't think it's DEFINITELY gonna be a super small patch. Oh well, its not going to be super huge so whatever.
Are you serious? 2.2.9 is gonna have a BUNCH of fixes. There are so many bugs in 2.2.8

Are you serious? 2.2.9 is gonna have a BUNCH of fixes. There are so many bugs in 2.2.8
On the subject of 2.2.9... in a 2.2.9 thread, here's the entire current changelog here. Looking at what's added and fixed is a considerable excitement, many fixes, QoL changes, and modding features were slapped into here.

Small little fixes and nudges to improve the game is substantial, makes everything just slightly less infuriating.

Honestly, I'm a bit against having Super Tails as he's supposed to have his transformation with the super emeralds (unless you make an exception like in Mania but that means that all characters should get one).

As for the loops, I find them mostly useless in 3D because they're just scripted and automated unlike the 2D games (and I even think that Rush didn't need them as you could boost through).

Honestly, I'm a bit against having Super Tails as he's supposed to have his transformation with the super emeralds (unless you make an exception like in Mania but that means that all characters should get one).

As for the loops, I find them mostly useless in 3D because they're just scripted and automated unlike the 2D games (and I even think that Rush didn't need them as you could boost through).
In regards to the super forms, that can simply just set the “Can turn super” flag and they would just flash colors with their current sprites (Idk if Tails is getting unique sprites)

As for loops, while, yes, they are automated in most 3D Sonic games, they won’t be automated in SRB2. We’ve had a devleak that pretty much shows that loops will have full control

In regards to the super forms, that can simply just set the “Can turn super” flag and they would just flash colors with their current sprites (Idk if Tails is getting unique sprites)

As for loops, while, yes, they are automated in most 3D Sonic games, they won’t be automated in SRB2. We’ve had a devleak that pretty much shows that loops will have full control
Then why aren't all character ables to go super by default then?

And the loops could have full control as long as it's not like Sonic R's.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back