• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

The mapping lair of Bewinus.

Bewinus

What's an airport again?
Hello there!

This is a little addendum to the original first post giving a small overview over my current projects, so you don't have to search this hole thread to be up to speed. I'll only show a small portion of my progress here, so if you want to see everything, go to the latest post in this thread.

Current projects:

1. Ne Hoehle oder so

srb20162.png
srb20164.png

2.Snowy Wonderland

srb20207.gif

Beyond this point, the actual first post will begin.

Hello there!

I'm currently making my first map and wanted to show my progress so far. I started making this map around two months ago and learned everything while making this map.

Status Demo.PNG

This is my progress so far. It's by no means finished and will probably still take a while to be completed, but I will keep working on it.

Anyway, here are some screenshots:

srb20023.png
srb20024.png
srb20025.png

And look, I even made a totally finished skybox:

srb20026.png

I also made a small Demo with the use of some teleports so that you can test this map and provide feedback if you want to. But please keep in mind that some areas are unfinished.

There will be some updates over time when I think I've made enough progress, though that may take some time, so have patience with me.

That's all for now.

Attachments

• S_Beachflower_Demo.wad
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Hello there!

I'm currently making my first map and wanted to show my progress so far. I started making this map around two months ago and learned everything while making this map.

View attachment 52106

This is my progress so far. It's by no means finished and will probably still take a while to be completed, but I will keep working on it.

View attachment 52113 View attachment 52114 View attachment 52119

View attachment 52112

I also made a small Demo with the use of some teleports so that you can test this map and provide feedback if you want to. But please keep in mind that some areas are unfinished.

There will be some updates over time when I think I've made enough progress, though that may take some time, so have patience with me.

That's all for now.
WOAH, HOLY CRAP'S SAKE. That's a big map!

I LOVE IT!

Also, is there gonna be like two versions where there's a full level and a hangout?

Well, i have none, but one problem with it, there's allot of shortcuts that it makes the level short, i played it.
Glad to hear you like it.

I didn't plan for a hangout version, but it sounds like a great idea, so I will probably make it. I will finish the actual map first, though.
As long as you make the level much longer, (and less shortcut frenzy) we'll be fine.

Hello there!

View attachment 52106

View attachment 52112

That's all for now.

Woah. This is way better than I expected it to be going into the thread. It's not often you see first maps this competent, great job! I had a good time running through here, people will really enjoy this when it's done.

I have a few problems with this though, and some solutions and ideas too!

1. Beachflower? Where's the beach! I see no semblence of a beach here. For all intents and purposes it is your standard GFZ map. You should add more beach stuff to it.
Although going into it I think that Beachflower is an incredibly generic name. You should brainstorm some level names up to make something that has more identity to it. Something that will make people remember your stage, and that will make it unique and interesting.

2. And on that topic. Use new textures. Greenflower textures are incredibly old by now and don't do anything to make your stage feel fresh. I have a solution to this!

Back in Mystic Realm: Community Edition development, @DirkTheHusky made a bunch of various Jade Coast textures that were eventually scrapped for new patterns and colors. I eventually put them in the Community Asset Pack.
...The issue is that I didn't put them in correctly.
So I figured I could kill two bird in one stone. Give you a more complete version of the Jade Coast Textures that never made it into Asset Pack correctly, and also save you the process of extracting them yourself. Here's a PK3. I Included some more Asset Pack stuff that would be good for your stage, such as Cosmic Valley's grass, and the Jade Coast skies that did end up being used.

I hope you continue this, it has a lot of potential!

Attachments

• OLDJCZ.pk3
    2 MB · Views: 129
Maybe try "Beach Bash Zone"? I am not good with names so yeah, this is SO AMAZING AND BIG! I love the beach so nice map!

@The Shadow A proof of concept of what your stage would look like with these textures. This is only the first area. You can ask for the file if you want it.

1630466193998.png

Maybe try "Beach Bash Zone"? I am not good with names so yeah, this is SO AMAZING AND BIG! I love the beach so nice map!
Beach Bash is a stage that already exists by Vixuzen.

Hello there!

View attachment 52106

View attachment 52112

That's all for now.
This is absolutely amazing for a first map.
Even tho it lagged quite a bit due to my low end PC, I still had a fun time running around the place.
Looking forward to this map's final release, great job. :wonderful:

@The Shadow A proof of concept of what your stage would look like with these textures. This is only the first area. You can ask for the file if you want it.

View attachment 52380

Beach Bash is a stage that already exists by Vixuzen.
This looks amazing! I will definitely use these textures instead of the GF textures. They make it look way more unique. Though there is no need to send me the file since I already worked on my map some more. So I would have to do all that again. As for the actual beach:

srb20011.gif

I'm working on it.

Ok, what about "Sunset Seaside"?

The name of the map was something I wasn't really proud of anyway and this sounds way better, so for now I will go with it.

This is absolutely amazing for a first map.
Even tho it lagged quite a bit due to my low end PC, I still had a fun time running around the place.
Looking forward to this map's final release, great job. :wonderful:
I noticed the lag as well and already found the cause: Things I placed way to many of them and as a result the framerate already begins to cry.
So I probably have to cut down on the flowers and trees that I placed in this map to make it run a little more smooth.

Also, thanks for all the compliments, I'm really happy that you like it.
Post automatically merged:

@Othius Actually, I have problems understanding how you applied the textures in your screenshot, so I would like to have the file nevertheless.

Last edited:
This looks amazing! I will definitely use these textures instead of the GF textures. They make it look way more unique. Though there is no need to send me the file since I already worked on my map some more. So I would have to do all that again. As for the actual beach:

View attachment 52383
I'm working on it.

The name of the map was something I wasn't really proud of anyway and this sounds way better, so for now I will go with it.

I noticed the lag as well and already found the cause: Things I placed way to many of them and as a result the framerate already begins to cry.
So I probably have to cut down on the flowers and trees that I placed in this map to make it run a little more smooth.

Also, thanks for all the compliments, I'm really happy that you like it.

@Othius Actually, I have problems understanding how you applied the textures in your screenshot, so I would like to have the file nevertheless.
Nice!

I felt like Sunset is an overused stage trope in SRB2, and would also require you colorise the stage orange, so I suggest changing the zone name to Seaside Sunrise instead, so it can stay the same color and still make sense.

Attached is a (mostly) retextured version of the stage you sent and an updated textures pk3 fixing a few grass overhang textures I forgot to update.

I've been clicking through random tracks on the Mod Archive and I think I found a music track that might fit your stage well if you want to include it. See for yourself:

Attachments

• Seaside Sunrise Texture Test.wad
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 110
  • OLDJCZ.pk3
    2 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I felt like Sunset is an overused stage trope in SRB2, and would also require you colorise the stage orange, so I suggest changing the zone name to Seaside Sunrise instead, so it can stay the same color and still make sense.

Attached is a (mostly) retextured version of the stage you sent and an updated textures pk3 fixing a few grass overhang textures I forgot to update.

I've been clicking through random tracks on the Mod Archive and I think I found a music track that might fit your stage well if you want to include it. See for yourself:
Thank you!

The track sounds great as well, so I will use it unless I find something even better. Now for the next week I won't be able to work any further on the map because of some IRL stuff, but after that I will start working again immediatley.

I'm back.

Without further ado, this is how my map looks now:

Status Update 1.PNG

First off, I changed the starting point since I didn't like the state of it. You now start in a small beach area and then enter the cave where the start was before.

srb20045.png

I also worked some more on one path which is now connected to the beach and almost finished.

srb20046.png
srb20049.png

I also reserved a big part for the beach, which is currently filled to the brim with nothing, but at least a beach exists now.

srb20050.png

Oh yeah, and I made this, but I wasn't really happy with how it turned out, so I scrapped it.

srb20051.png

I don't have a new demo ready this time, so that's all for now.

I'm back.

View attachment 53308

First off, I changed the starting point since I didn't like the state of it. You now start in a small beach area and then enter the cave where the start was before.

View attachment 53310

I also worked some more on one path which is now connected to the beach and almost finished.

View attachment 53312View attachment 53314

I also reserved a big part for the beach, which is currently filled to the brim with nothing, but at least a beach exists now.

View attachment 53318

Oh yeah, and I made this, but I wasn't really happy with how it turned out, so I scrapped it.

View attachment 53320

Oh crap I somehow didn't notice you posted this for over a month! How is progress going since then? Also yeah I can see how setting up the aligned skybox like that would look really odd, I can show you how to do make a more natural aligned skybox if you feel like it. This stage is looking really nice.

I'm back.

View attachment 53308

View attachment 53310

View attachment 53312View attachment 53314

View attachment 53318

View attachment 53320

Somehow... This feels like a level from Sonic Chaos (2018/2019 SAGE).

Can't wait!

Oh crap I somehow didn't notice you posted this for over a month! How is progress going since then? Also yeah I can see how setting up the aligned skybox like that would look really odd, I can show you how to do make a more natural aligned skybox if you feel like it. This stage is looking really nice.
Well my progress was a little on hold since I was making a second map for the ULDC on the side, which I had to compromise on as well due to school and other IRL stuff...

But I did make a relative big part of the beach, as well as other minor changes.
Status Update 2.PNG
srb20026.gif

Now today is the last day for the ULDC submissions, so progress should start back again soon.

Also yes please I would love if you can show me how to make a better skybox.

Update time!

First off, here is how the map looks now:

Status Update 3.PNG

Aside from working a little more on each path, I've also changed the existing ones a bit. Here are some screenshots:

srb20083.png

srb20084.png

One of the more notable changes is the addition of emblems, which now replace the chaos emeralds I had placed before. Though I still need to add one more and the emblem hints are missing too.

srb20085.png

Now, I made a new Demo with all the changes for you all to play. Feedback is always welcome. As for when the map will be finished, I plan to finish the map this year but don't count on it.
That's all for now. See you next time.

Attachments

• S_Seaside Sunrise_Demo2.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 174
This new level reminds me of Splash Hill Zone a lot

Update time!

First off, here is how the map looks now:

View attachment 56798

Aside from working a little more on each path, I've also changed the existing ones a bit. Here are some screenshots:

View attachment 56801

View attachment 56802

One of the more notable changes is the addition of emblems, which now replace the chaos emeralds I had placed before. Though I still need to add one more and the emblem hints are missing too.

View attachment 56803

Now, I made a new Demo with all the changes for you all to play. Feedback is always welcome. As for when the map will be finished, I plan to finish the map this year but don't count on it.
That's all for now. See you next time.
If this map was a cereal, it'd be...

The Best Cereal

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back