Movies that you liked, but everyone else hated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Pretty chill guy
Like that one topic in Video Games. Don't forget your spoiler tags!

I really liked Knowing. Sure, the ending was stupidly unexpected and strange, but IMO it's better than some generic 2012-esque ending. I stared dumbstruck with a perma-grin on my face as
ALIENS SAVED SOME CHILDREN AS EVERYONE DIED
Oh and that bit with the burning people in the plane crash was pure comedy.
Sure made my $1 worthwhile.

What are some movies that you liked, but everyone else hated?

Phantom Menace is my favorite Star Wars movie. It was my first real introduction to the Star Wars universe, it is the only one that's near as standalone as episode 4, its pacing could use some work but it did not have the incongruous plotlines that ep2 had, or the long drawn out political plot that ep3 had. I really liked Qui-gon Jinn as the mentor archetype, Duel of Fates remains to be one of my favorite lightsaber duels in the trilogy, the story was personal and contained rather than too broad for you to care about anybody...

The midichlorians thing was something I always considered as technobabble and was never able to understand. I saw it only important as a way to show that Anakin was some kind of child prodigy (no I didn't know he was Darth Vader, and no I didn't know what the force was).
As for Jar-Jar, he was my family's favorite character. Although I can see why he's such a love-or-hate character. He's geared toward younger audiences and he's so intrusive that if he annoys you, its gonna leave a bad impression. I was one of the younger audiences that loved him though.

Hey, JEV3, it turns out we like the same movie!

I really like The Phantom Menace because of the unadulterated action scenes. It took a long time for the podrace to be set up, but once it was, it was pure bliss. The same goes with the lightsaber duel with Darth Maul (coolest dragon of the prequels, if you ask me), the infiltration of Theed, and the battle of the Gungans and Trade Federation 'bots. With the exception of the cop-out Gungan victory, it was all good. Truth be told, I didn't even mind Jar-Jar Binks.

I guess nostalgia kind of biases my choice. It absolutely blew my ten year-old mind to learn that a new Star Wars, a Star Wars for me and my generation, was soon to be released.

Attack of the Clones feels like one big set-up to an awesome fifteen-minute finale, and although the finale is indeed awesome, it's a bit of a chore to slog through the majority of the movie. Revenge of the Sith has more evenly-distributed action scenes, but I think the plot suffers from trying to cover too many characters and their distinct locations simultaneously.

Last edited:
I like Short Circuit 1 and 2. Nobody else I know seems to, assuming they've even heard of them. I hear they're doing a remake/reboot at the moment, hopefully they won't ruin it.

You know, I actually kind of liked Avatar. I can as readily admit what's wrong with that movie as anyone else...generic plot disguised with all the special effects in existence. But somehow it didn't stop me from enjoying parts of it...in particular the battles.

Like that one topic in Video Games. Don't forget your spoiler tags!

I really liked Knowing. Sure, the ending was stupidly unexpected and strange, but IMO it's better than some generic 2012-esque ending. I stared dumbstruck with a perma-grin on my face as
ALIENS SAVED SOME CHILDREN AS EVERYONE DIED
Oh and that bit with the burning people in the plane crash was pure comedy.
Sure made my $1 worthwhile.

What are some movies that you liked, but everyone else hated?
Knowing was a movie people didn't like? Are you serious, that movie was badass.

Knowing was more a case where it appealed to audiences in quite the opposite way than intended. What it was supposed to be was a compelling thriller about inevitability, most people just liked to see all the terrible destruction.

Also, these topics are pretty vague. When you say that "most people" do or don't like it, this could apply to large groups of fanboys/fangirls, the majority of the critics, or just the majority of your friends.

Knowing was more a case where it appealed to audiences in quite the opposite way than intended. What it was supposed to be was a compelling thriller about inevitability, most people just liked to see all the terrible destruction.

Also, these topics are pretty vague. When you say that "most people" do or don't like it, this could apply to large groups of fanboys/fangirls, the majority of the critics, or just the majority of your friends.
Warning: Big'O block of worthless text.

So in other words, most people didn't really pay attention to the movie but instead all of the destruction. Wow so I'm one of the few that understood that a girl from the past, was forseeing terrible events that occured in the future, leading up to the cataclismic end of the earth, due to solar rays hitting the earth. But to continue the human race, beings from another planet, came to earth to rescue two children of opposite gender, and leave them on another planet, to begin the human race again. Or was that what most people interpretted.

Basically, they did a better job with the destruction sequences than with the story. I watched it for the story and not for the destruction, and I was disappointed. (Note: Based on a bunch of critical reviews moreso than my personal opinion)

Anyway, in the tradition of liking George Lucas's "failures", I also quite liked Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull where my main complaint was more to do with the horrible pacing than the supernatural relic of the week. I wouldn't consider it one of my favorite movies, but I definitely don't regret watching it when it came out. (now, I'd think twice about buying the DVD, overpriced as they always are)

Well I really liked "Tooth Fairy" but most people I know said the movie was lacking in plot and story, and some said the movie wasn't even worth watching.

You know, I actually kind of liked Avatar. I can as readily admit what's wrong with that movie as anyone else...generic plot disguised with all the special effects in existence. But somehow it didn't stop me from enjoying parts of it...in particular the battles.

And what´s so weird about it? Avatar was the most relevant movie in it´s time, and got a hell'alot of publicity.

The Last Airbender was the movie i liked the most but people did not like it. It was the movie full of adventure and action. I don't know why people did not like it.

Don't tempt me.

I actually kinda liked the newer musical version of The Producers, though most people generally dislike it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back