= Metroid Vanguard = Samus Aran in SRB2 [v1.5c]

= Metroid Vanguard = Samus Aran in SRB2 [v1.5c] v1.5c

Too bad Nintendo pulled the good ol' C&D toward the guy who made it... A real shame because Metroid needs fans more than ever.

I entirely understand that SRB2 is a family-friendly fangame and that gore shouldn't be in but it's literally a mod that isn't necessary to install.

And honestly it's pretty tame (as a doom legacy can be) compared to most -16/-18 game on the market...
Post automatically merged:

It's not a modification of Doom, it uses a different engine and features several elements not possible with the original game.
You don't even need to get the Doom iwad to make it run either.
The irony was worth the mention here.

On the other hand, I feel the need to ask this.

Why is it the mod creator's responsibility to flag someone with a content warning? If the admins have the right to take down an addon because it doesn't have a warning, why don't they just flair it themselves? It's about the same amount of effort and completely avoids a takedown. It seems counter-intuitive to waste time hiding an addon page instead of just adding a quick warning.

Edit: After reading some of the above posts I'm going to say something opinionated. I think a lot of the people here are really over-exaggerating the sprite's "graphic"ness. I literally got sent the sprite last night in my group chat, it's not nearly as bad as people are saying it is. Keep in mind you're literally staring at an SRB2 sprite, it's not like it's hyper-realistic.

Why is it the mod creator's responsibility to flag someone with a content warning? If the admins have the right to take down an addon because it doesn't have a warning, why don't they just flair it themselves? It's about the same amount of effort and completely avoids a takedown. It seems counter-intuitive to waste time hiding an addon page instead of just adding a quick warning.
Turning the chessboard around, why is it our responsibility to do that? Our procedure when something doesn't meet submission guidelines is always delisting the mod until the problem is solved, which gives the author total control over how they want to deal with it. We don't waste our time in this process at all: in fact, it's ever time saving than doing anything else.

Edit: After reading some of the above posts I'm going to say something opinionated. I think a lot of the people here are really over-exaggerating the sprite's "graphic"ness. I literally got sent the sprite last night in my group chat, it's not nearly as bad as people are saying it is. Keep in mind you're literally staring at an SRB2 sprite, it's not like it's hyper-realistic.
Gee, I wonder why is it that your "opinionated" remarks are always some tone deaf shit that disregards what other people might think at all! Oh, you!

Your experiences are not universal. Not everyone is you. Your evaluation of graphic content is not more valid than someone else's. This was a worthless addition to a topic that is already over. Acknowledge that, and move on.

The irony was worth the mention here.

On the other hand, I feel the need to ask this.

Maybe because the SRB2 Team prefers to keep the game family-friendly.

I agree with you because I saw many who played games like GTA or COD way below the required age (especially in the mid-to-late 00's to the early 10's).

The ESRB/PEGI/CERO are mostly informal and some store retailer cannot straight up refuse to sell a product to a client regardless of their age (as dubiously moral it may sounds like). It's not products like alcohol nor tobacco.

I'm also seeing many kids and teens wanting to play scary and violent games aimed at an older audience (it may explain the popularity of creepypasta such as Sonic.exe).

But this isn't the point of the thread and I shall stop derailing it. I love Metroid and it pains me to see it being removed for such a trivial thing as a sprite.

Turning the chessboard around, why is it our responsibility to do that? Our procedure when something doesn't meet submission guidelines is always delisting the mod until the problem is solved, which gives the author total control over how they want to deal with it. We don't waste our time in this process at all: in fact, it's ever time saving than doing anything else.

Gee, I wonder why is it that your "opinionated" remarks are always some tone deaf shit that disregards what other people might think at all! Oh, you!

Your experiences are not universal. Not everyone is you. Your evaluation of graphic content is not more valid than someone else's. This was a worthless addition to a topic that is already over. Acknowledge that, and move on.

Simple. If you flair something, it saves the creator time. It means their content doesn't have to be removed right off the bat and if they wanna change how it's handled, they can add their own warning on their own time. Plus, making them go out of their way to make their own warning for it is wasting their time when you could just flair it and move on. Other websites use sensitive content warnings like this all of the time if something could be offensive. Look at Twitter, Steam, or even Reddit. They're almost always non-intrusive and just provide a heads-up that wouldn't bother anybody.

Oh, and, you're an administrator/moderator, so it should be your responsibility to try and improve the site rather than stick to old systems.

By the way, I'd say it's pretty rude, and uncalled for, calling me tone deaf and inconsiderate when I haven't even mentioned you during this entire thread. But hey, your look, not mine.

Sure, my experiences aren't universal, and not everyone's me, I've never refused to acknowledge that. But by that same token, how does that make yours any more valid? I fail to see your point here besides trying to invalidate my opinion, which I again, acknowledged was my own.

The mod's back up, so I won't bother complaining any further, but I'm not gonna be surprised if this sort of thing happens again in the future.

I'm also seeing many kids and teens wanting to play scary and violent games aimed at an older audience (it may explain the popularity of creepypasta such as Sonic.exe).

This is kind of the kicker for me. A lot of the franchises kids are into anyway nowadays are like this. Heck, Sonic.EXE's got his own following of kids who're like, what, 10-11? Not saying it's a good thing, but it's definitely worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Simple. If you flair something, it saves the creator time. It means their content doesn't have to be removed right off the bat and if they wanna change how it's handled, they can add their own warning on their own time. Plus, making them go out of their way to make their own warning for it is wasting their time when you could just flair it and move on. Other websites use sensitive content warnings like this all of the time if something could be offensive. Look at Twitter, Steam, or even Reddit. They're almost always non-intrusive and just provide a heads-up that wouldn't bother anybody.

Oh, and, you're an administrator/moderator, so it should be your responsibility to try and improve the site rather than stick to old systems.
The only one wasting time here is you complaining continually about an issue that was so simple it was already resolved several pages ago in this thread.

Judging is not a comprehensive test where judges examine every element of anything that is in a mod -- it's just a general overview to make sure it doesn't break any obvious rules. A mod author is going to know what sort of content is in their mod better than we are. If something is brought to our attention, we let the mod author know. That's plenty simple enough of a way for us to handle it, and I know I'd rather not be editing people's release posts or addons when I don't even know the specifics of their mod as well as they do.
By the way, I'd say it's pretty rude, and uncalled for, calling me tone deaf and inconsiderate when I haven't even mentioned you during this entire thread. But hey, your look, not mine.
It's not rude, it's just accurate. It's not a petty insult; it's just a description of your objective behavior here.
Sure, my experiences aren't universal, and not everyone's me, I've never refused to acknowledge that. But by that same token, how does that make yours any more valid? I fail to see your point here besides trying to invalidate my opinion, which I again, acknowledged was my own.
You clearly either haven't read the thread or something isn't clicking for you. See my previous post?
Charybdizs said:
The way I described it in a mod channel was like this:

Sexual content is a pretty black and white topic. Sexual content is 18+ and it can't go here. Comparatively, excessive language/extremely crude humor/violence is all sort of a grey area, it's hard to rate that sort of thing by age. The best thing you can ask is "How likely is it that this content is gonna disturb someone/make them wish they hadn't seen it?" If the answer is "probably pretty likely" there's no good reason NOT to put a content warning on it, just out of decency.

That's our logic, and I'm confident everyone should be able to say "hey, that's reasonable enough."

If you had taken some time to stop and read instead of going on an angry tirade the mod author doesn't even agree with, you should have been able to realize "oh, even if it personally doesn't bother me, it obviously bothers quite a few people." That fact, that it does have a reasonable chance of bothering people, is why it deserves the content warning it got. However "over-exaggerated" you might say it is, you can't argue with reception. You trying to do that is what makes you inconsiderate.

I can't imagine there's anything more to be said on this topic; the logic behind it has been explained and the extended bemoaning brings nothing to the thread. Continue dragging this out without anything reasonable to add to the discussion and you're just gonna land yourself banned, my dude.

This may be a weird question, but I'm not entirely sure how to create a save file to play through the vanilla campaign.

Opening "Start Metroid Vanguard.bat" is pretty much the same as opening the vanilla game and loading the addons "SamusMusic.pk3" and "SMCL_Samus-v1.pk3", correct?

But afterwards, in either way I start the mod, I try to start a game in a vacant save slot, and it doesn't let me do it.

So I decided to use this: https://mb.srb2.org/threads/custom-gamedata-allows-you-to-create-save-files-with-addons.27064/

This soc does allow me to create a save file with the mod, but I'm not sure that was the way you intended us to play it like.

After I start a save file, regardless of what method I use, the mod takes me to another screen where I can choose another save file. So it's a save file within a save file?

Anyway, I'm a bit confused. I hope you can help me clear it up. Thanks.

You don't get to both criticize moderation, call it ridiculous, tell people they're over-exaggerating, and then play good guy and say that you're "not disregarding other's opinions."
It's not rude, it's just accurate. It's not a petty insult; it's just a description of your objective behavior here.

I can't imagine there's anything more to be said on this topic; the logic behind it has been explained and the extended bemoaning brings nothing to the thread. Continue dragging this out without anything reasonable to add to the discussion and you're just gonna land yourself banned, my dude.

I've provided my opinion on the matter and acknowledged that it's an opinion. Not once have I disregarded others' opinions on the matter. I simply haven't bothered to actually talk about them because it wouldn't contribute anything to what I was saying and would make my post longer.

If he wants to say that, and you consider it objective, that's fine by me, since that's your opinion, but there is no reason to word it in such an aggressive and unconstructive way. Calling someone's viewpoint "worthless" is not going to make them more interested in listening to others' viewpoints. It's an attempt to make them feel irrelevant, and doesn't result in any positive outcome for anyone.

This entire time I've been reasonable and worded things neutrally, whilst doing my best to be constructive.

I already ended off my last post saying I had said everything that I needed to, so I encourage you to read what I say more carefully next time. If you have anything else to say to me, please take it to my messages, since I'd rather not drag it out on this mostly unrelated thread any longer, like you said.

YESSSSS! With SMS 2-3, you are the gift that keeps on giving. :wonderful:
As a little context, Shine gave me 2-3 on discord. I've uploaded it on my youtube channel.

Clowning on banned members isn't needed, just move on.
F in the chat guys, we lost one of our greatest soldiers. 😢
Is this the gory scene?
Post automatically merged:

Moderator Notice:
Cutting out a peanut gallerying/dogpiling comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what got this mod taken down. I dunno if I'm allowed, but I'll put a spoiler.
Well, you asked for this
srb20012.png

If you're a kid that clicked on this because you were curious, enjoy those nightmares.

Last edited:
This is what got this mod taken down. I dunno if I'm allowed, but I'll put a spoiler.
Well, you asked for this
View attachment 42018
If you're a kid that clicked on this because you were curious, enjoy those nightmares.
Back in MY day we played Mortal Kombat at the age of 5, and we loved the extreme blood and decapitations! Youngin's these days and their Sonic.EXE's and Megaman.EXEs... I tell ya, get offa my lawn, dangit!

In all seriousness, I am all for being considerate of others, and just like to have a good laugh.

Kinda wish there were more ways to alter the key bindings in the character settings themselves rather than having to mull over the one I have set for SRB2, but honestly this is pretty packed all things considered.

I have an issue with playing online with Samus. Everyone (including) seems to crash randomly. I cannot say what did this, because I am not sure what I/they did in order to activate the crash.

Well, you asked for this
View attachment 42018

Oh god damn how cruel it is

I mean... I have seen similar scenes many times, but in srb2 it looks very strange and unusual. Why are you so with Fang? What did he do to you
Now I understand why this caused problems. Sorry for the stupid question earlier.

Oh god damn how cruel it is

I mean... I have seen similar scenes many times, but in srb2 it looks very strange and unusual. Why are you so with Fang? What did he do to you
Now I understand why this caused problems. Sorry for the stupid question earlier.
I don't think he has nothing to do with fang. I think it's just because, well, Fang fits Arid Canyon Zone, so why not use him?

But afterwards, in either way I start the mod, I try to start a game in a vacant save slot, and it doesn't let me do it.

So I decided to use this: https://mb.srb2.org/threads/custom-gamedata-allows-you-to-create-save-files-with-addons.27064/

This soc does allow me to create a save file with the mod, but I'm not sure that was the way you intended us to play it like.

After I start a save file, regardless of what method I use, the mod takes me to another screen where I can choose another save file. So it's a save file within a save file?

Anyway, I'm a bit confused. I hope you can help me clear it up. Thanks.
You're supposed to start the game with Samus through No Save. That's why the "save in a save" feature is here - so that No Save can save your progress.

Well, you asked for this
View attachment 42018
Reminded me a lot of crocomire's death scene.
Honestly I still don't think it's to bad, but if people don't want to see, then they should be allowed to ignore it.
I can't believe Fang is fucking dead

Back