• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SonicHeroX45's Development Thread

Happy Early Holidays!!! This is the Holiday Heroes Xmas Demo! This is a BIG one. First, the new Holiday Hub has been added. Second, Holiday NiGHTS now has the full first stage complete! Complete all 4 Mares in Sparkling Summit, then take on the Boss as NiGHTS in Subzero Scuffle! Third, Several Stages have new or revamped sections, most notably, Egg Base's left path is no longer hell. Speaking of, Egg Base and a few other stages are now multiplayer compatible! Lastly, visual errors and other bugs and glitches have been resolved, in cutscenes and in levels! I can't give a clear date on when the next demo will come out, but I will be focusing on multiplayer for the next one. This includes new Halloween and Christmas themed Match, CTF, and Race maps! I am going on vacation to see friends and family for the holidays, and I wanted to make sure this was actually released by then. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Wish you Merry Christmas too!
However,Holiday Heroes has found a challanger.That ladies and gentleman is....SRB2TP 2.0(Stands for SRB2 The Past 2.0)

Some ideas for remastering.
(Note: Not every suggestion must be adopted.)
  • Make the levels longer
  • The side grass uses the middle texture instead of being embedded in the wall texture
  • Make the water transparent
  • Use F_SKY1 for pits' floor
  • Use more 2.2 assets
  • Add ripple effect for water
Ghost Maze: Keep it a maze, but give some hints
Ghoul Passage: Change the music to slower GFZ2 or Evilflower, maybe use CEZWALL or CEZWALL2 for walls, add more decorations
more levels and cutscenes
Springin' Around: More spring cuz its springin around
Blustery Day: Maybe use the snow covered new GFZ textureset, use the fans as a gimmick
Snow Mountain: Change the color of grass from black to white
Gleaming Glacier: Make it looks more like Blue Mountain Zone from 2.0 but brighter
Egg Base: More like the new THZ2, but with normal water
Egg Arena: good enough for a boss stage
Close Corners: maybe make it more like Frozen Hillside
Christmas Factory: Keep the TGF THZ2 theme, but with poisonous water or acid
Snow Valley: Make it more like ACZ, and some falling bridges i guess
Final Boss: ERZ or 2.2 THZ theme, and a hard boss (maybe Eggmobile with spike balls like CEZ3 in 1.09.4)
Emerald Coast: just make it more like in Sonic Adventure, with true slopes and part 2
Sonic's Nightmare: More spring shells, add poisonous water or acid
Winterflower: Based on 2.2 GFZ1 but with a bit different, the rocks will be a mix of 2.2 and TGF
It should be an unlockable after you beat Xmas mode.
Sparkling Summit: What a mess! and also we need horizontal objects and Nights powerups
Subzero Scuffle: You aren't on the same line to me, Eggman!

Last edited:
  • Make the levels longer
  • The side grass uses the middle texture instead of being embedded in the wall texture
  • Use more 2.2 assets
Ghoul Passage: Change the music to slower GFZ2 or Evilflower, maybe use CEZWALL or CEZWALL2 for walls, add more decorations
Blustery Day: Maybe use the snow covered new GFZ textureset, use the fans as a gimmick
Gleaming Glacier: Make it looks more like Blue Mountain Zone from 2.0 but brighter
Final Boss: ERZ or 2.2 THZ theme, and a hard boss (maybe Eggmobile with spike balls like CEZ3 in 1.09.4)
Emerald Coast: just make it more like in Sonic Adventure, with true slopes and part 2
Winterflower: Based on 2.2 GFZ1 but with a bit different, the rocks will be a mix of 2.2 and TGF
Sparkling Summit: What a mess! and also we need horizontal objects and Nights powerups
As for Halloween and Christmas,they are good as they are currently. The developer wants the levels be a port from those early SRB2 demos,while not making them feel like a remaster. Its something that SRB2TP 2.0 does as perfect as Holiday Heroes.

To main point is,its just a port of SRB2 Halloween and Christmas to 2.2 with some extra things, and not trying to be like the work of Glaber and his team did with their mod. We dont need the "make more levels" things. This mod is ok if its like this.

Oh boy, talk about poor release time. Little did I know that The Past 2.0 also came out yesterday. Hm, guess that makes this basically obsolete. No matter, I will still work on this mod as I have become attached to it. Christmas Compendium also came out yesterday in Beta. Guess I'll need to step up my game a bit. Nah, the Message Board isn't a competition, right? About what you two were talking about, I understand they feel a bit too much like simple ports and my mapping skills are meh. However, there's an explanation for both. About the maps being basically ports: As I stated earlier, a remaster is pretty much a port with extra features and refinements. I don't want the ported maps to stray too far from the originals, but I want them to feel relatively fresh. The main thing you can expect is texture updates, as well as segment retuning, like what I did with Egg Base's left route. I clearly want to make new levels, as hinted by the empty hub lots and in-cutscene messages. This is only my first true attempt at creating a level pack mod. I haven't really had the experience on how to make fun, clean, and accessible maps. Sorry if that isn't what you were looking for. In short, "competition" has made this mod almost obsolete, but I will continue to work on the mod. Remastering will be done in my personal way, but I understand some issues people may or may not be having with the way things are being handled. Farewell.

Oh boy, talk about poor release time. Little did I know that The Past 2.0 also came out yesterday. Hm, guess that makes this basically obsolete. No matter, I will still work on this mod as I have become attached to it. Christmas Compendium also came out yesterday in Beta. Guess I'll need to step up my game a bit. Nah, the Message Board isn't a competition, right? About what you two were talking about, I understand they feel a bit too much like simple ports and my mapping skills are meh. However, there's an explanation for both. About the maps being basically ports: As I stated earlier, a remaster is pretty much a port with extra features and refinements. I don't want the ported maps to stray too far from the originals, but I want them to feel relatively fresh. The main thing you can expect is texture updates, as well as segment retuning, like what I did with Egg Base's left route. I clearly want to make new levels, as hinted by the empty hub lots and in-cutscene messages. This is only my first true attempt at creating a level pack mod. I haven't really had the experience on how to make fun, clean, and accessible maps. Sorry if that isn't what you were looking for. In short, "competition" has made this mod almost obsolete, but I will continue to work on the mod. Remastering will be done in my personal way, but I understand some issues people may or may not be having with the way things are being handled. Farewell.
I see it now.Perhaps the remastering things Henry said were right(obivously with things that can make this mod feel completly diffrent),as well my opinion on to not making it like a fully diffrent mod. Also,in my previous post,i forgot to mention that you are new to mapping and will take some time to make something good for everyone to play.

Still,wish you a Merry Christmas,a Happy New Year,and good future development for this mod!

• Make the levels longer
  • Use more 2.2 assets
Actually, a few things in regards to Holiday NiGHTS. For the power ups, have you tried para looping the small bell circles ? And in the boss fight, Eggman being off path is intentional, use the para loop to hit him when you can't drill him.

Actually, a few things in regards to Holiday NiGHTS. For the power ups, have you tried para looping the small bell circles ? And in the boss fight, Eggman being off path is intentional, use the para loop to hit him when you can't drill him.
my bad😕
Post automatically merged:

Now it looks more like a reimagine than a remaster.

Last edited:
1671782994511.png
bruh
(I found a lot of asset from SRB2TP in the Holiday Heroes file)

Last edited:
Well, I suppose I should bring this up. I am currently going through some real world issues, and have little to no time to actually work on Holiday Heroes. I have no other choice but to put Holiday Heroes back into indefinite hiatus until the situation resolves. Farewell for now.

Haha, I may have been in a mood when I made the last post. I got one more treat for you all, but it isn't ready just yet. Stay tuned. By the way, did you feel that Halloween was a tad too short? :)

Last edited:
Haha, I may have been in a mood when I made the last post. I got one more treat for you all, but it isn't ready just yet. Stay tuned. By the way, did you feel that Halloween was a tad too short? :)
This guy teased us a leak for a Halloween expansion that is going to be in a mod where its all being as much as effort as possible.

LET THAT SINK IN

Besides that,im happy that you went back from hiatus.

Thanks for the support! Truth be told though, I was gonna focus on Ringslinger and Race maps. However, I looked at the Master Server, and most servers host Co-op over Ringslinger. Therefore, I decided to get the Main Campaign to a more complete state. That includes the Halloween expansion and let's just say, something that I have been wanting to do for a VERY long time!

I think I have done enough for today. I worked on the Halloween expansion and finished 2 levels. A very small but VERY difficult level, and a boss fight! Still writing up the actual story for Halloween, so I put 2 placeholder levels in for what I plan to work on later. (You will notice a copy of Winterflower, but upon loading it, you will notice some changes, and the other placeholder is not actually accessible. You can find the header in MAINCFG.) I also added the new and placeholder level's music tracks to the Sound Test, as well as touching up on many other small things. Here is the current Beta, and I'll see you tomorrow! Also, you can try hosting these, but it is NOT recommended. Wait a minute, why am I just casually dropping a Beta build like this? You will see soon enough... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZTGTeZqktrrvPVfgCd0wMAA3pYB4sRh-/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
My comments on the new levels:
(Well, I didn't notice that the Halloween levels are just placeholders.)
(Edited a lot)

Dance with Death: What? Non-Halloween styled? A Button Hunt in a small room?
Honestly, if it is similar to 1.09.4 CEZ (like the button is placed in many rooms), it will not be so bad.

Duel with Death: Not a bad level, but the arena is too simple.

All That Remains: Now it is just an clone of Winterflower, but it seems that it may become a completely independent level in the future, because in many places this level is separate from Winterflower. What's your plan on this level?

Last edited:
I am aware of the sudden change in scenery, I'm hoping some future cleaning up and the finished story will explain this. As for what I have right now, "Death" attacks you on the cliffside after Ghoul Passage, causing you to fall into Dance with Death. There were gonna be more layers with rooms similar to the first one, but larger and the buttons are harder to get to. The first room is more of a Proof of Concept of what the final level is going to be. After, as you have already seen, the floor falls underneath you, and then Duel with Death happens. The arena was originally going to be MUCH smaller, and you would of fallen into a death pit if you got knocked out of the arena, instead of the lava moat that surrounds it. It was NOT a fun fight when I play tested it, so I promptly revamped it to what you see here. After you defeat "Death", they are revealed to be Metal Sonic. (big surprise huh?) He reluctantly decides to help you out as thanks. Three more things: 1) Metal Sonic is supposed to be unlocked after you defeat "Death", but since he was already unlocked when you first start your save, a side effect of using the same gamedata file as the Demos. (Yup, we are no longer in demo stage!) This should be resolved by the next beta.
2) What about Amy and Fang? I already have a plan of sorts for Fang. (may or may not be tied to All That Remains, or a conceptual follow up.) I might leave Amy unlocked from the start though, I have no story (or gameplay) reason to make her an unlockable. 3) I actually did feel some sort of fulfilment after completing the first version of Duel With Death, might bring it back as a secret level later... Anyway, that should be all. Almost the whole cast is getting involved? What could this mean...

Work is going well on the new beta, Metal now unlocks like he was supposed to. I also finished the secret level All That Remains, now renamed to The Right To Remain. This is the Beta version of Duel with Death, with a new boss instead of "Death". Changing the Boss alone makes the fight WAY harder, but I was able to beat it after a continue. The next build will start using a new gamedata other than HolidayHeroesBeta.dat, so you will have to re unlock what you had before. I am currently implementing the new cutscenes for Halloween, and making preparations for the "Something I have wanted to do for a VERY long time." I might upload the new Beta after I finish cleaning up some issues present in the last one, or wait till the full release! That's right! I'm preparing to put this into submissions! Stay tuned, and see you later! By the way, Holiday Heroes going into submissions is NOT the "Something I have wanted to do for a VERY long time." You will have to wait and see...

Audio Transmission Log - October 30, 20XX, 14:00: "Metal Sonic! There has been an immense signal emanating from the geographical region by the Abandoned Graveyard. I have sent you the coordinates to the last known location of the signal. It could be a Chaos Emerald, so if you know what's good for you, you WILL head over there PRONTO!" *UNDERSTOOD, HEADING TO COORDINATES* "Good, good. Now, where was I? Ah yes, planning the 'Christmas Party'. It's all coming into place..." - End Transmission

I am aware of the sudden change in scenery, I'm hoping some future cleaning up and the finished story will explain this. As for what I have right now, "Death" attacks you on the cliffside after Ghoul Passage, causing you to fall into Dance with Death. There were gonna be more layers with rooms similar to the first one, but larger and the buttons are harder to get to. The first room is more of a Proof of Concept of what the final level is going to be. After, as you have already seen, the floor falls underneath you, and then Duel with Death happens. The arena was originally going to be MUCH smaller, and you would of fallen into a death pit if you got knocked out of the arena, instead of the lava moat that surrounds it. It was NOT a fun fight when I play tested it, so I promptly revamped it to what you see here. After you defeat "Death", they are revealed to be Metal Sonic. (big surprise huh?) He reluctantly decides to help you out as thanks. Three more things: 1) Metal Sonic is supposed to be unlocked after you defeat "Death", but since he was already unlocked when you first start your save, a side effect of using the same gamedata file as the Demos. (Yup, we are no longer in demo stage!) This should be resolved by the next beta.
2) What about Amy and Fang? I already have a plan of sorts for Fang. (may or may not be tied to All That Remains, or a conceptual follow up.) I might leave Amy unlocked from the start though, I have no story (or gameplay) reason to make her an unlockable. 3) I actually did feel some sort of fulfilment after completing the first version of Duel With Death, might bring it back as a secret level later... Anyway, that should be all. Almost the whole cast is getting involved? What could this mean...

Work is going well on the new beta, Metal now unlocks like he was supposed to. I also finished the secret level All That Remains, now renamed to The Right To Remain. This is the Beta version of Duel with Death, with a new boss instead of "Death". Changing the Boss alone makes the fight WAY harder, but I was able to beat it after a continue. The next build will start using a new gamedata other than HolidayHeroesBeta.dat, so you will have to re unlock what you had before. I am currently implementing the new cutscenes for Halloween, and making preparations for the "Something I have wanted to do for a VERY long time." I might upload the new Beta after I finish cleaning up some issues present in the last one, or wait till the full release! That's right! I'm preparing to put this into submissions! Stay tuned, and see you later! By the way, Holiday Heroes going into submissions is NOT the "Something I have wanted to do for a VERY long time." You will have to wait and see...

Audio Transmission Log - October 30, 20XX, 14:00: "Metal Sonic! There has been an immense signal emanating from the geographical region by the Abandoned Graveyard. I have sent you the coordinates to the last known location of the signal. It could be a Chaos Emerald, so if you know what's good for you, you WILL head over there PRONTO!" *UNDERSTOOD, HEADING TO COORDINATES* "Good, good. Now, where was I? Ah yes, planning the 'Christmas Party'. It's all coming into place..." - End Transmission
Well, that was fun to write. I finished what I wanted to do for today. I'll upload the new build shortly.
Major changes include:
-A new Secret Level: The Right To Remain (The Secret Exit to get here is somewhere in Halloween, can you find it?)
-Proper Cutscenes for Halloween, and a new-ish ending for Christmas
-Various new unlockables, extras, and secrets!
-Of course, bug fixes and refinements
---------------------------------------ANY UPDATES TO THE TO-DO LISTS WILL BE APPLIED IN A FUTURE BUILD---------------------------------------
NEED To-Do (Before Release, highest priority):
-Halloween: Expand (or Revamp) Dance with Death (Conceptual Stage)
-Holiday NiGHTS: Halloween Nightopia and Nightmare Stages (Conceptual Stage)
-"Something I have been wanting to do for a VERY long time" (Actively in progress, not accessible normally)
-Record Attack: Emblems for Dance with Death (Duel with Death Emblems have been done and tested)
-Fixing any extra bugs or other oddities that have not been resolved (Self-explainitory)

WANT To-Do (Drawing Board, nothing here is guaranteed):
-Extra Stages for Halloween and Christmas (A few are in the concept stage)
-More Stories and corresponding Holiday NiGHTS Stages (No real progress here)
-Better Cutscenes (REAL STRETCH HERE)
-Multiplayer Maps (Concept stage)
-Promotional Stuff (Trailers, Devleaks, Artwork, Music, etc.)

Last edited:
Audio Transmission Log - October 30, 20XX, 20:00: *DOCTOR, I HAVE ARRIVED AT THE COORDINATES* "Excellent, what is over there?" *I AM UNSURE, IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE A CHAOS EMERALD* "Curses! What is it then?" *HOLD ON, THERE IS SOMETHING OFF IN THE DISTANCE* "Well, check it out already!" *ROGER THAT* "Ugh, what is going on? I suppose if this whole thing doesn't work out, I always have plan B..." - End Transmission

Audio Transmission Log - October 30 20XX, 24:00: "Metal Sonic! What's going on over there? You never miss your reports!" *...* "Hello? Are you even there?" *...* "Oh no, this can't be good. As much as I despise THEM, I guess I have no other choice..." - End Transmission

Last edited:
Audio Transmission Log - October 30, 20XX, 20:00: *DOCTOR, I HAVE ARRIVED AT THE COORDINATES* "Excellent, what is over there?" *I AM UNSURE, IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE A CHAOS EMERALD* "Curses! What is it then?" *HOLD ON, THERE IS SOMETHING OFF IN THE DISTANCE* "Well, check it out already!" *ROGER THAT* "Ugh, what is going on? I suppose if this whole thing doesn't work out, I always have plan B..." - End Transmission

Audio Transmission Log - October 30 20XX, 24:00: "Metal Sonic! What's going on over there? You never miss your reports!" *...* "Hello? Are you even there?" *...* "Oh no, this can't be good. As much as I despise THEM, I guess I have no other choice..." - End Transmission
Oh no,the Sonic MVD-like ARG stuff is coming here too!

Nah, just my way of providing background information that I don't really know how to put in the mod itself. Also, I feel it's great to explain some loose ends in the story. This might lead to another story rewrite. Actually, that will make "Something I have been wanting to do for a VERY long time" make more sense.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back