Gemma the Tarsier-Cat

Gemma the Tarsier-Cat v3.0.3/BM Support v3.0.1

RalphJeremy65 updated Gemma the Tarsier-Cat with a new update entry:

v1.3 - Sprite Revamp + Battle Mod Support

Been a while, isn't it?

I've been working on overhauling Gemma's sprites a bit. Gemma's braid is now bigger, her tail is now less static, and some other frames have been remade entirely.

But... given the update's topic, you'd definitely know know what else is here.

Read the rest of this update entry...

RalphJeremy65 updated Gemma the Tarsier-Cat with a new update entry:

v1.3.1 - Rather quick patch

Things didn't go as planned.

- Forgot to properly implement Dirk Surf and Milne Dance (files are present on it) so it's implemented now.

srb20388.gif

srb20391.gif

Read the rest of this update entry...

I would've made a review if the page let me do that, so I did this instead.

This character is actually pretty fun to play as, and the Tera-riser ability... is decent. I don't like it in some ways. First off, I think it should be mapped to spin, not jump. Second, using it 2 or 3 times per jump without having to bounce on a badnik would be appreciated. I know her Super form can already do that, but still. I also think she could use 2 or 3 more abilities(passive AND active), because aside from the Tera-riser, she's nothing too special to play as.

My pitches are that she could have Sonic's speed thok(which can be used multiple times, like some of the early demos) that could drop stones nearby which can destroy enemies, and, since she is half-cat, she could have some sort of wall latch ability like that of Motdspork's Modern Sonic, which can be jumped out of acting as a Wall Jump. And for a passive ability, she could break through breakable walls by running into them(like Knuckles), and can bust through the breakable floors that only Amy can break with her hammer (where Gemma would have to use her Tera-riser. I mean, it can cause a screen-shake, why can't it break those floors already, huh?).

This character is actually pretty fun to play as, and the Tera-riser ability... is decent. I don't like it in some ways. First off, I think it should be mapped to spin, not jump. Second, using it 2 or 3 times per jump without having to bounce on a badnik would be appreciated. I know her Super form can already do that, but still. I also think she could use 2 or 3 more abilities(passive AND active), because aside from the Tera-riser, she's nothing too special to play as.

My pitches are that she could have Sonic's speed thok(which can be used multiple times, like some of the early demos) that could drop stones nearby which can destroy enemies, and, since she is half-cat, she could have some sort of wall latch ability like that of Motdspork's Modern Sonic, which can be jumped out of acting as a Wall Jump. And for a passive ability, she could break through breakable walls by running into them(like Knuckles), and can bust through the breakable floors that only Amy can break with her hammer (where Gemma would have to use her Tera-riser. I mean, it can cause a screen-shake, why can't it break those floors already, huh?).

You instantly lost me the moment you suggested a thok

I really do not think Gemma needs more abilities, and I don't think the ones who suggested fit her gameplay flow very well

And what's wrong with her ability being mapped to jump exactly

Gemma is fine as she is ability wise. In fact, the way she plays now is why she became my favorite addon character to play as.

'This character is actually pretty fun to play as, and the Tera-riser ability... is decent' - throwing shade at someone who made a pretty good character. Nicely done.

' First off, I think it should be mapped to spin, not jump.' - This would be awful as spin let's you spin dash off of the rocks you pull out from the ground. Really didn't think this one through didja?

'My pitches are that she could have Sonic's speed thok' - no. Please god no. She's not a speed based character. Not every other character needs some sort of aerial dash.

' since she is half-cat, she could have some sort of wall latch ability like that of Motdspork's Modern Sonic,' - ok fair point if she had claws. Which judging by her design she does not.

'And for a passive ability, she could break through breakable walls by running into them(like Knuckles)' - ok fair point here, nothing I can really say about that.

Overall though, you are just basically starting off by throwing low key shade, and trying to dictate how a character is used and what abilities they have. If you want to see those abilities, you can always learn to lua script it yourself. Not too difficult if you have the time. Which clearly you do.

If you want to see those abilities, you can always learn to lua script it yourself. Not too difficult if you have the time. Which clearly you do.

Just don't go around modifying Gemma to suit your tastes if you decide to do it since she isn't marked as reusable

Just don't go around modifying Gemma to suit your tastes if you decide to do it since she isn't marked as reusable
Yeah, but nothing is stopping someone from doing it for personal use. Or using their own ideas and making their own characters from there (i'm looking at you, the 3 dozen or so sonic varients LOL)

'This character is actually pretty fun to play as, and the Tera-riser ability... is decent' - throwing shade at someone who made a pretty good character. Nicely done.

' First off, I think it should be mapped to spin, not jump.' - This would be awful as spin let's you spin dash off of the rocks you pull out from the ground. Really didn't think this one through didja?

'My pitches are that she could have Sonic's speed thok' - no. Please god no. She's not a speed based character. Not every other character needs some sort of aerial dash.

' since she is half-cat, she could have some sort of wall latch ability like that of Motdspork's Modern Sonic,' - ok fair point if she had claws. Which judging by her design she does not.

'And for a passive ability, she could break through breakable walls by running into them(like Knuckles)' - ok fair point here, nothing I can really say about that.

Overall though, you are just basically starting off by throwing low key shade, and trying to dictate how a character is used and what abilities they have. If you want to see those abilities, you can always learn to lua script it yourself. Not too difficult if you have the time. Which clearly you do.
1. I'm sorry. It IS useful in some sections.
2. Maybe mapping it to a custom button would've been a better idea, then.
3. How does she not have claws? I know she is a half cat, but wouldn't it make sense to adapt claws as well?
4. I also mentioned floors that only Amy can break.
5. I DON'T KNOW A THING ABOUT LUA, OKAY?

3. How does she not have claws? I know she is a half cat, but wouldn't it make sense to adapt claws as well?
It's always a good idea to learn. Who knows? Maybe you'll make your own character with your own ideas. It's certainly possible. And you'll get what you want without trying to tell a mod creator what YOU want, because YOU can make it happen yourself.

Pretty sweet, no?

1. "Some"

I get the feelings you're underestimating the usefulness of Tera-riser

2. I repeat

What is wrong with it being jump

1. "Some"

I get the feelings you're underestimating the usefulness of Tera-riser

2. I repeat

What is wrong with it being jump
Because I think a double jump action should be anything but a move that sends you downwards. Look at Modern Sonic: his Stomp move definitely isn't mapped to jump, is it? Same with Adventure Sonic, his bounce isn't mapped to jump either. SSNMighty's Hammer Drop, though, is mapped to jump, which is acceptable since it was like that in Mania.

Because I think a double jump action should be anything but a move that sends you downwards. Look at Modern Sonic: his Stomp move definitely isn't mapped to jump, is it? Same with Adventure Sonic, his bounce isn't mapped to jump either. SSNMighty's Hammer Drop, though, is mapped to jump, which is acceptable since it was like that in Mania.
To be fair to Gemma, she's not supposed to have anything else for a Jump Ability. Modern Sonic has a double jump & a homing attack for his Jump Ability, while Adventure Sonic has his Air Dash & Homing Attack mapped to that spot too.
If SSNMighty's Hammer Drop is acceptable when there's little in abilities left for him to use, then why not Gemma? The way she is already makes her one of my favorite characters, honestly. If you don't jive with the choice of Jump Ability, then that's fine, but I feel the changes you suggested feel... Unnecessary.
Some movesets work by being simplistic enough, I'd say.

To be fair to Gemma, she's not supposed to have anything else for a Jump Ability. Modern Sonic has a double jump & a homing attack for his Jump Ability, while Adventure Sonic has his Air Dash & Homing Attack mapped to that spot too.
If SSNMighty's Hammer Drop is acceptable when there's little in abilities left for him to use, then why not Gemma? The way she is already makes her one of my favorite characters, honestly. If you don't jive with the choice of Jump Ability, then that's fine, but I feel the changes you suggested feel... Unnecessary.
Some movesets work by being simplistic enough, I'd say.
I respect your opinion but I was just pointing something out.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back