• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Chronicles' GHZ - Stage, Models, etc WIP thread

I did played Sonic Chronicles a bit,and from what i saw,it was kinda fun! Altrough,it was on DS,meaning that i have to not only use the buttons,but i also need the touch screen,which is annoying at times.

However,this might make interested into replaying it!
Its gotta be 10 000 000/10 for me!

A wise man also said "most modders don't release their work because it usually takes a player about 15 minutes to exhaust all the cool stuff it took the modder years to work on, and it's always more fun to look forward to possible acclaim rather than work on the problems people inevitably have with any release."

Last edited:
A wise man also said "most modders don't release their work because it usually takes a player about 15 minutes to exhaust all the cool stuff it took the modder years to work on, and it's always more fun to look forward to possible acclaim rather than work on the problems people inevitably have with any release."
i would like to write a strongly worded letter of complaint to this man

if only we got an actual release of this

heres to hoping we will, and im just impatient lol
To put everyone at ease, this project is not cancelled. I hope to release something playable this year (no promises!) in some form, since i do understand that i already made such a long development cycle. I wish to avoid raising expectations too high so the mod can be enjoyed to the fullest when it releases eventually.

The past few months I have been working on lots of stuff, including helping with an upcoming level pack's hub. That includes mapping, soccing and textural resource planning for it too. Going into more detail about that hub's theme would be a giant spoiler so... you'll see what i mean relatively soon.

With that and stuff going on irl, i sadly haven't found the time yet to properly update this thread yet. I have multiple ideas/concepts in the back of my mind, which i'll go in depth in once my part in that hub is finished. Hope to update you guys again soon.

When mod release Pls Add In Level Select The Old Version
Message board rule #15:

"Do not ask people to make things for you, or request certain mods or features. If you have a suggestion for the SRB2 developers, we have a Suggestions thread related to the game. If you want to learn, there are plenty of resources if you search. If you have questions, you are welcome to use the Modding Help forum. Plenty of people will be happy to point you in the right direction."

Hi everyone! It's been quite some time, but the show still goes on. Despite being really busy, i managed to have some moments to work further on this mod. This time, i'm not gonna present a new concept (yet). Instead, i have something different but equally fun to show. This will be a detailed progress post on a new, different aspect.

Update 46

Today's update is to solve a problem, so it's quite different compared to the previous posts. I've seen that people really like it when objects have multiple angles. However, trying to make all angles in pixelart gives me trouble. So I have dipped my toes in the world of 3d modeling in blender, and i wanted to apply that knowledge for this mod. I decided i would recreate a palm tree first. So i modeled its components, with a couple of modifiers to get a smooth look:

image.png

My goal is to keep the polycount as low as possible, because my level has a lot of trees. I aim for the potato pc guideline: around 1000 polygons per object. While the screenshot above has the faces/ polycount to over 1500 already, each object was made under 100 polys. (Tbh, idk which number i'm supposed to follow in blender lol) But because i had some difficulties bending the shape/ adding textures, i decided to edit the leaf on the right and remove the modifiers from everything. When the first leaf would be set up right, i figure i can try and edit the rest the same way.

So i went back and searched through all kinds of references/ youtube to see how things look. I found the overworld trees go straight up, while in the behind-the scenes & chao garden 3d rendition of green hill they bend a little. In the battle scene, they go up diagonally.

overworld tree (left up), triplet of palm trees behind the scenes (right up), chao garden trees (bottom):
image.png

concept art found in an ign video:
concept art palm tree.png

battle scene:
battle scenery.png

compilation from the overworld and behind the scenes:
trailer & art - palm tree.png

So i went ahead and tested the new version of the leaf on a quick rendition of the chao garden palm tree. This is just a test, but it got some improvements. With this version, i tried to give the leaf more life/ more bending, while working with a pixel-accurate grid.

image.png
image.png

With this i feel i am a couple of steps further but also taking some steps back... it might be because i haven't fully decided what style i should go for with the models... The overworld sprites and the chao garden make them look classic by straightening the leaves, while the concept art and the behind-the-scenes make them look more modern by adding lots of small bends. And tbh, i'm not sure on how to add the colours for the final look. Looking around, i found some interesting things for inspiration. There are a couple of routes i can go, so i listed some styles below:

• Pixel style, where you can see every block of pixel on your model. This could fit because the og game was made on the ds, which is really pixely in and of itself. If i pick this, i could base every detail of my models on the existing sprites (see earlier in the thread):
Saturn Dreams model pack

• Low Poly - Cel Shaded style, this uses mostly flat colours to separate surfaces (like adding fake shadows). My mod won't feel out of place next to modded characters if i used this style:
Manuel's Models
fznmeatpopsicle's SRB2 Model Pack

• HD style style. (another reference is the collage reference above in the post.) In chronicles itself, the overworld & concept art want to portray the world as more painted. If i choose this, i would try to replicate the painted feel of the og game as close as possible through the shading & colours. Please keep in mind, i will try to keep it as low poly as possible (so a max of 1000-2000 polys)
Kromos & Drakira's Definitive Classic Pack

And a picture of the srb2 style used in-game:
1692526951119.png

With all this in mind.. What do you think about me adding models to the mod? How would you guys like me to combine the chronicles elements with srb2 for my models? What style do you prefer? Are there things i could improve or do differently? I would love to know what you think.

Thank you for your patience, and thank you for reading.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back