• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Chronicles' GHZ - Stage, Models, etc WIP thread

I would like to point out that I can give you my 100% files. They'll allow you to have everything unlocked, so you can test with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Fang, Metal, Super forms, and even NiGHTS and Emblems! Just message me and I'll send them.
Post automatically merged:

Ps... The mod is outstanding!

Thank yo ufor the kind words. I'll do my best. if need be, i'll message you Hiroyuki for your kind offer.

Let's go over to the update.

Update 23
Most of the new stuff in the map are wip improvements this time. I've been working with assets i already had, but plan to make custom ones later.

1)I'm currently reworking the starting area for the level.
1634815247418.png
compared to:
1634815152307.png

The starting area will be an introductory area to some basic mechanics of srb2 and serve as an intro for the mechanics of this level. This will split off into multiple pathways, which end in the main GHZ section of sonic chronicles.

2) forest mapping
Speaking of split pathways, one of them will be through a forest - just like in the chronicles cutscene. This is still in the concept stages, and i did manage to make some trees
Reference:
1634817189134.png

Mapped trees:
unknown (2).png
1634817066051.png

They will be sprinkled in as background elements for the forest section.

3) Chao Garden relocated:
1634816214194.png
The Chao Garden has been relocated into the level itself. If you manage to find it, you'll be greeted by the rescued chao, among other little surprises. I'm also working on a way to return here easily throughout your playthrough. Note - due to some spoilers for surprises, i hastily swapped out some sections in this hub.

I've also dabbled in chao art, but i'll keep that a secret for now.

4) Hidden Base
To make more pathways possible, and to stay close to chronicles, i opted to rebuild the hidden base inside GHZ. Now it is entirely suspended in the air through fofs. It is now possible to fall down instead of losing a life.
1634818598415.png

Had to pull of some small texture tricks to avoid visual glitches in gameplay. What comes beneath will be expanded upon at a later time.

5)Intro art:
To conclude, i made some art to complement the level. I'm also working on the background mountains to better suit chronicles
This is my first try at art in Illustrator, and reimagined chronicles' chapter 1 opening card with it. i think it makes a good mix between the cutscene style of chronicles and srb2's pixel art.
cutscene 1.png

I can use this in multiple ways, like an in-game banner or a cutscene... not sure of it yet. As an example, i used srb2's character art with it to make this banner:

cutscene 2.png

Here are some rocks that are much closer to og chronicles. I'll make more variations+layers, to have a similar setup to my previous backdrop.

chronicles rocks.png

That is all for today. Thank you for reading!

Update 24

Today i want show progress on the forest part of the level. It has turned out bigger than i anticipated, but should be more fun to explore in as a result.

The basic structure of the section has been mapped out. The lower routes are pathways through the grassy plains in the forest forest, while the upper path has you go through the treetops. In this section, you'll navigate through the forest up to the highest point where you finish into the cutscene of chronicles. As of now, the highest sectors have about 6200 fu in height. Now i only need to decorate it more, and this section will be finished.

2d section 1.png
2d section 2.png

That is all for now. Thank you for reading.

This stage looks like four Castle-Eggmans..
Can't wait to both play this and for my computer to turn into a burst of flames!

Update 25

Today i want to show off my recently finished sprites. With a mix of custom sprites and edits from srb2's monitors, i was able to recreate the Chronicles Item Box with monitors corresponding to the different powerups in SRB2's main campain. I also remade some items and accessories from Sonic Chronicles so you can collect your powerups and items through gameplay in the level.

Once you touch the box, the opening animation will play like in og chronicles, and a quest item or powerup item will appear from it. Those items will grant you the powerups from SRB2 in Chronicles fashion.

Below i put the 64 new sprite frames for the boxes and items.:
chronicles powerups and items2.png

chronicles powerups and items.png

I also made boxes for the multiplayer powerups, but they likely won't be in due to me not knowing the needed lua yet. (unless i can just replace the graphics). For the main campain's powerups, i'll make all these items and boxes as new objects.

That is all. Thank you for reading!

Update 25

Today i want to show off my recently finished sprites. With a mix of custom sprites and edits from srb2's monitors, i was able to recreate the Chronicles Item Box with monitors corresponding to the different powerups in SRB2's main campain. I also remade some items and accessories from Sonic Chronicles so you can collect your powerups and items through gameplay in the level.

Once you touch the box, the opening animation will play like in og chronicles, and a quest item or powerup item will appear from it. Those items will grant you the powerups from SRB2 in Chronicles fashion.

Below i put the 64 new sprite frames for the boxes and items.:
View attachment 56184

View attachment 56185

I also made boxes for the multiplayer powerups, but they likely won't be in due to me not knowing the needed lua yet. (unless i can just replace the graphics). For the main campain's powerups, i'll make all these items and boxes as new objects.

That is all. Thank you for reading!
With all this extra stuff, this could turn out as an incredible map, hangout, and testing ground. Just don't burn yourself out!

Update 27
Working on animating the boxes in soc. Got 4 working.

Animation for ring-based items
srb20146.gif
srb20147.gif

Immunity Booster Bottle
srb20151.gif

On release, it'll pop faster

And lastly, the Pow Gum box, which grants you points depending on how fast you pop it. (This will use a tiny bit of lua)
srb20150.gif

That is all for today. Thank you for reading

Update 28
I'm working on a more Chronicles-accurate background. Have some wip mountains and clouds:
1638914655151.png

1638914877448.png

After a lot of hard work, and with the help of lua teachings of Felix44 over on discord, i managed to lso complete the Bubblegum powerup. Now it will give points depending on how fast you pop it.
srb20159.gif
srb20160.gif
srb20161.gif

Lastly, i want to show some progress to the forest 2d section. I'm trying to implement more depth to the different levels in the platforming plane, while also having background elements fill the void in the back. For now, i'm not focusing the exact textures of this section due to the sheer amount of tags/ fofs needed (150+, with more to come):
srb20162.gif
srb20163.gif
srb20164.gif
srb20165.gif

And finally, a final chao behaviour concept to cheer you up:

Have a chao about to enjoy a Health Seed item.
chao fruit.png

That is all for today! Thank you for reading.[/SPOILER]

Update 28
I'm working on a more Chronicles-accurate background. Have some wip mountains and clouds:
After a lot of hard work, and with the help of lua teachings of Felix44 over on discord, i managed to lso complete the Bubblegum powerup. Now it will give points depending on how fast you pop it.

Lastly, i want to show some progress to the forest 2d section. I'm trying to implement more depth to the different levels in the platforming plane, while also having background elements fill the void in the back. For now, i'm not focusing the exact textures of this section due to the sheer amount of tags/ fofs needed (150+, with more to come):

And finally, a final chao behaviour concept to cheer you up:

Have a chao about to enjoy a Health Seed item.
View attachment 57871

That is all for today! Thank you for reading.[/SPOILER]
looks awesome as ever!
also, I can't believe you've made a working loop

Update 29

It has been nearly 14 months since i first started development, and nearly 1 year since i posted about this project publicly on the forums. To celebrate this, i made a commentary-less video going over what i currently have installed in the mod. While some earlier versions of textures and artwork aren't featured in the video, i think it'll give you a pretty good idea on what to expect. The list of changes has become so long that i think it's better to show you everything so far instead of listing everything new.

The video can be watched here:

Thank you for reading and Happy Holidays and Merry Xmas!

Update 29

It has been nearly 14 months since i first started development, and nearly 1 year since i posted about this project publicly on the forums. To celebrate this, i made a commentary-less video going over what i currently have installed in the mod. While some earlier versions of textures and artwork aren't featured in the video, i think it'll give you a pretty good idea on what to expect. The list of changes has become so long that i think it's better to show you everything so far instead of listing everything new.

The video can be watched here:

Thank you for reading and Happy Holidays and Merry Xmas!
Nice

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back