Adventure Sonic (v1.8b)

Adventure Sonic (v1.8b) v1.8b

why is he gray when i load him up? (edit: oh my gosh i'm so stupid there's an option to change his color in the settings, i should delete this)
Look in the update log, it might say this.
NOTE: A select few of you might spawn as a white SA-Sonic. Don't worry, that simply means your v1.5 settings were corrupted and v1.6 converted those values. Just pick your preferred color in the SAmenu and you're good to go!
Post automatically merged:

What mods were added when you took this screenshot?
only oldc and sa sonic 1.6, i loaded sa sonic first so that might be the problem

Look in the update log, it might say this.

only oldc and sa sonic 1.6, i loaded sa sonic first so that might be the problem
yea i saw and read through it all, but i didn't expect for him to be gray but then i forgot all about that aspect fo the update -_-"

Okay, then you probably have "open menu" set to the back button on an Xbox Controller. The back button on an Xbox Controller always open the SAmenu regardless of what it's bound to, just like the keyboard's natural pause key.
I'm having the same problem. Sucks that I have to rebind due to this.
Edit: In retrospect this arrangement of buttons is probably better anyway.

Golden I think the light dash is simply amazing!! Its great for speedrunners or just speedsters like me. I mean the light dash in SA2 And Heroes is just awful it's often either not useful or it will get you killed...we all know what stages in SA2.

I encourage people to get creative with Sa-Sonic he's very well put together. I'm not the best person to judge cuz I'm not an average player and I'm a broken speedrunner, but I am fast so I might be a little biased. Try thinking outside the box when using his LSA. I promise you'll find something to love about it.

Also those that want the spam dash it's still there it's just more balanced. I've never liked the spam dash, cuz it was ALWAYS the best option for speed; but not here it's certainly there. And a SA2 style roll??? I personally don't see the point of something inferior to the Spin attack which you can literally run circles around your enemies. I think the roll is awesome, but it cost the SA1 style spin dash. Golden and Metal know what they are doing.

Most of these things apply to Modern Sonic who is amazingly built, but doesn't work to well in SRB2 and there's not much to be done about that. Sa-Sonic is be far my favorite Sonic...Anyway remember to Keep running!!

Last edited:
1 and 2 are partly intentional for a dynamic ghost trail, but I probably should've guessed the Z jitter could look weird on some angles and might've been better leaving that out.
1078647955860508733.webp

The third has always been a feature to warn you're low on rings, since not everybody's staring at the ring counter 24/7.
Wow! I... guess I never got down to less than ten rings on Hyper Sonic before today, then! Good to know! I mean, I knew about all the other warning effects, but the ghost trail going pure red sure took me off guard. My B! (I really shoulda figured it was intentional, I actually dunno how you'd make it do that without meaning to now that I ponder it a bit...
thonk.png
whoops.)

As for the ghost trails jittering, if they're just meant to make it look more dynamic from behind... is it possible to only make them do that when seen from certain angles? It still looks the tiniest bit odd to me from behind too, but I think I see what you were going for.

something I found is that the new update is less laggy in all cases, like in 1.5, the invincibility seemed to half my framerate... while now in 1.6, it doesn't seem to affect the framerate at all!
On top of that, strangely, one of the MRCE levels which was unplayably laggy was suddenly playable when playing with, which is a mysterious yet positive change.

srb20163.gif

A bit problems, i guess with lua
is it normal for the shield to disappear when using the advance game flair?

And i also cant use my battle abilities, even though i have enough rings to use that ability, did this happen in earlier versions?
srb20165.gif

The abilities are shown but aren't implemented yet.
ah ok then

View attachment 87709
A bit problems, i guess with lua
is it normal for the shield to disappear when using the advance game flair?

And i also cant use my battle abilities, even though i have enough rings to use that ability, did this happen in earlier versions?
View attachment 87708

srb20349.png

I guess i was wrong, the shield does appear in normal gameplay, i guess its a match issue

Attachments

• srb20349.png
    srb20349.png
    429.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
...whoops.
1082260834178318456.webp

It's not warranted to throw a wall of text at you for a minor comment, but I just want something comprehensive to point back to whenever I want to explain my decision. I'mma spoiler it, feel free to choose whether you care to read it.

Alot of thought went into this choice before making it.

Some basic reasons like:
-It'd obviously make SA-Sonic more OP, and we were treading that line already
-It'd be overkill easy to both get and uphold Super Sonic
-It'd destroy multiplayer special stages
-It can interfere with infinitely more important actions. You NEVER want to lightdash when you meant to spindash/bounce, or have to stop yourself from doing so because rings are in the way.
-People need to bind more custom buttons to play SA-Sonic properly if I made it a custom button.

-This method prevents players bouncing into pits instead of lightdashing due to of depth perception, which never feels fair.

But there's other specific design reasons relating to SRB2's ring placement.

In an SRB2 context, a rapid lightdash is a novelty that might either be OP or useless depending on SRB2's hugely varying levels, none of which place rings with a lightdash in mind. This leads to Sonic spazzing around if you nonsensically lightdash on weird ring patterns, which alot of players will do anyway just for free rings, and it looks "le funny".

But when you need to charge, you think about what you're doing and where you'll end up. You consciously make decisions and choose ringtrails benefitting your movement, rather than zoom across any random ring pattern for ez rings. The Lightdash is meant as a movement tool. If I encourage lightdash spam, I also encourage SA-Sonic to spazz across unpredictable ring patterns, slow himself down and change direction all the time, and accidents where you're flung into walls and traps. I can't make the lightdash range less reliable either just to make it more situational. SA2 and Heroes' lightdashes are both awful for that reason.

Plus, if you can use it on-the-run, I have to make another choice. Do I allow players to potentially fly out of control if I retain their potentially superfast momentum into these unpredictable ring patterns? Or...do I slow them down in an unsatisfying way because it'll go at a set speed? I can't win in that respect. But momentum isn't an issue with the charged version. Both the player and I know what speed they'll be entering the ringtrail at, giving both of us a more predictable pattern to react to.

Try using the quick-charge and this lightdash version's boosted chaining potential. (Sonic can ALWAYS charge or jump from a lightdash, even in midair.) You'll come to see that the Lightdash I gave SA-Sonic, while not spammable, is more versatile than it's been in any game. If for whatever reason you STILL can't deal with it, add a general lightdash mod like this one: https://mb.srb2.org/addons/1-09-4-light-dash-port.2813/

As a reminder, I'm not adding any gameplay-affecting customizability for SA-Sonic at any point.
Damn well you put alot of thought into this. Pretty much what your saying is that instant light dash is too overpowered. However the modern sonic does this exact same thing and nobody had a problem with it. At the end of the day it doesn't matter too much because of that general lightdash mod you shared. I completely forgot about that or even thought of using with SA-Sonic. However could you atleast add support for the mod so sonic using his Light speed dash sprites when using it? Even then that's just about the light speed dash. I also suggested a non-spamable dash. You said the instant light speed dash is is too OP but the SA2 spindash is just a nerfed spindash. You can't spam it so it encourages players to roll down slopes. Personally I like the spamdash but they're folks who think the SA1 spindash is too OP.

Please tell me we have rail grinding!

We don't, do we?
Rail grinding is visual thing that will be used in the future for something very awesome that isn't just riding on fences, this update simply is a preperation for the full thing.

It will not be within any of your expectations atm, please stop asking for something that's already implemented.

Still not a fan of the light speed dash imo. It would be fair if you could atleast charge it while running.

Maybe an option for no spamdash for people like the SA2 Spindash? Some people think the SA1 spindash is overpowered and pefer to use it like a roll button in SA2. Overall Giving the player these options doesn't remove anything but gives more cuztimaztion.
Going off of Shine's orignal statement of Versatility over Convivence, most of the time SRB2 levels have difficult to predict ring placements that heavily vary from level to level. There's even points in levels where rings space out to the point where using a SA2 lightdash is counterintuitive compared to this implementation:

srb20004.gif
srb20007.gif

Unless you want a lightdash with high exit velocity with little control, just bear with having an ability that fits with the level design of almost every map.

Last edited:
Going off of Shine's orignal statement of Versatility over Convivence, most of the time SRB2 levels have difficult to predict ring placements that heavily vary from level to level. There's even points in levels where rings space out to the point where using a SA2 lightdash is counterintuitive compared to this implementation:

View attachment 87714
srb20007.gif

Unless you want a lightdash with high exit velocity with little control, just bear with having an ability that actually has been made versatile.
How the fuck did you spindash mid air.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back