The Great Rush

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been off of the SRB2 mb for quite a long time, I left when there was a significant slowdown in this forum's activity. Now that I'm back I've realized that much has been the same seeing as not much activity has happened with SRB2 (I'm not hinting to release a new version soon in any way at all, STJ take all the time you need). Regardless, seeing the 2.1 previews and especially the announcement of Lua modification has made me excited for the inevitable resurrection of this forum with new Lua scripts and discussions about 2.1. We'll have a lot of stuff to talk about and do once 2.1 is completed, hence the thread name "The Great Rush". However as I said before, we're not rushing you Sonic Team Junior, take all the time you need.

So this is where I get to the point

What are you looking forward most in this forum once we get more discussable content and a new modification system?

Personally I'm eager to coding Lua modifications.

I'm more looking forward to what people have to say about the new content in SRB2.

The modification systems buffs are nice, but SRB2 has almost always been about the SP campaign for me. I almost never use multiplayer or addons. Seeing it get major changes overall is nice, and I'm hoping that people enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to those "new weapons" that they were talking about ages ago but never revealed.

I'm also curious whether or not they're bringing that "shiny" (Corona thing?) Back from 1.09.4, You know, Where in OpenGL everything looked much cooler?

I miss that.

I'm looking forward to those "new weapons" that they were talking about ages ago but never revealed.

I'm also curious whether or not they're bringing that "shiny" (Corona thing?) Back from 1.09.4, You know, Where in OpenGL everything looked much cooler?

I miss that.
I don't think the devs like OpenGL very much. I don't think they understand how it's coded or something.

While OpenGL runs silky smooth and is just plain beautiful, software runs absolutely horrendously for me. The screen blinks white like every 15 seconds, the graphics are unrefined and pixellated...ugh, software is horrible. I have a really good custom built PC in which the parts costed ~$1700, so I don't think that it's a lack of power that makes software run bad for me...

Tying into this, are skyboxes still software only? It would be disappointing if it still was...

I look forward to everything 2.1 will have to offer, especially the core gameplay changes, like skidding, Tails' flight bugs fixed, and removal of the speed cap.

I am using windows 8, so whenever I minimize Srb2, then bring it back up, it displays a weird color/resolution glitch that will not be fixed until you reset the screen resolution settings in srb2. Opengl gets rid of that glitch.

I am using windows 8, so whenever I minimize Srb2, then bring it back up, it displays a weird color/resolution glitch that will not be fixed until you reset the screen resolution settings in srb2. Opengl gets rid of that glitch.

I use Windows 7, and sometimes that also happens. I found that by changing the gamma level back and forth, the colors return to normal, though.

You can change it while on a map by typing in the console the command "gamma [N]", replacing [N] by the new gamma level. Alternatively, you can press F11 to toggle between the various gamma values.

Last time they were brought up, it looked like they won't be in 2.1, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

As for OpenGL, I'm sure this isn't news to anybody, but it's not supported, it's incomplete, and it simply doesn't render some stuff at all. If you wanna do something about it, I suggest you grab the source code after 2.1 comes out and add whatever stuff is missing, kinda like Kalaron did with SRB2CB.

They said there'd be at least one, but it's alright.

And I know OpenGL is incomplete, but why did they take AWAY the glowing (corona...?) effect... thing... I loved it ;~;

The idea to expand the weapon system isn't happening in 2.1. It may be brought back in the future, but it isn't happening now.

The reason the OpenGL corona effect was cut is because it didn't work very well and because we would have had to set it up all over again, as it was based on thing numbers and all the thing numbers changed in 2.0.

Personally, when 2.1 releases I'm going to enjoy sitting on my ass NOT trying to get it released for once.

The idea to expand the weapon system isn't happening in 2.1. It may be brought back in the future, but it isn't happening now.

The reason the OpenGL corona effect was cut is because it didn't work very well and because we would have had to set it up all over again, as it was based on thing numbers and all the thing numbers changed in 2.0.

Personally, when 2.1 releases I'm going to enjoy sitting on my ass NOT trying to get it released for once.

What do you mean it didn't work very well? It seemed just fine to me o_o

And, the part where you said "After 2.1 releases you won't have to worry about getting it released" , do you mean you're bringing coronas back? Or can I just not read well?

Because I really can't read well. :D I'm stupid.

I am personally looking forward to seeing a number concepts being discussed a lot more since Lua modification will be possible. Another thing I am looking forward to seeing is different takes on certain aspects of level packs or mods like level progression, collectibles, extras, etc.

I use Windows 7, and sometimes that also happens. I found that by changing the gamma level back and forth, the colors return to normal, though.

You can change it while on a map by typing in the console the command "gamma [N]", replacing [N] by the new gamma level. Alternatively, you can press F11 to toggle between the various gamma values.

F11 is for the Srb2 brightness... It may be just me but I don't think gamma is the same thing as brightness.

F11 is for the Srb2 brightness... It may be just me but I don't think gamma is the same thing as brightness.

You're right. Brightness and gamma are not the same thing.

In SRB2, however, the key F11, the "brightness slider" in the video options menu, and the command "gamma [N]", they all do the same thing: changing between different gamma levels.

You said that changing the video resolution fixed the color weirdness, but have you tried the F11 key instead? It may be faster to press the key to fix the problem than having to change the resolution back and forth.

In SRB2, however, the key F11, the "brightness slider" in the video options menu, and the command "gamma [N]", they all do the same thing: changing between different gamma levels.

You said that changing the video resolution fixed the color weirdness, but have you tried the F11 key instead? It may be faster to press the key to fix the problem than having to change the resolution back and forth.

Its not just the color. The video goes on one side and everything turns a white/purplish resolution with the video cramped on one side. I WOULD show a video but... I wasted 30 minutes of my morning trying to find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqOhV2VJ-YQ

This's what he means happens, changing the brightness also doesn't seem to fix it, only changing the resolution does. It's quite annoying really, especially if you want to minimise the game often.

This's what he means happens, changing the brightness also doesn't seem to fix it, only changing the resolution does. It's quite annoying really, especially if you want to minimise the game often.

OK, that is definitely not what I experience. I don't know why that happens, or how to fix it.

Anyway, at the risk of any of us being warned for hijacking this thread, I suggest you or speed2411 report this in the bug reports, if it isn't already there (I did a quick search but found nothing).

Could not have said it better myself.

OK, that is definitely not what I experience. I don't know why that happens, or how to fix it.

Anyway, at the risk of any of us being warned for hijacking this thread, I suggest you or speed2411 report this in the bug reports, if it isn't already there (I did a quick search but found nothing).

Thanks. I will see if I get a chance to. Opengl fixes it... So ya.

I'm looking forward mainly to the new THZ and stuff. Shame that there won't be SP levels added, but the buff ups for the levels in general look pretty satisfying. The whole skybox thing sounds like it's going to be awesome too.

Anyway, what actually IS preventing the release of 2.1? I heard it was something with the netcode, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back