[Open Assets] Jade Gully Zone Act 1

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spongecar

WishI had a better internet
I pieced this level together back before I lost intrest in modding SRB2. It was ment to be the 1st act of the 1st zone of a Level Pack called Sonic X-Treme. But the I became uninterested. So I'm just releasing the level here.
View attachment scr_jadegully1.zip

Attachments

• srb20033.png
    srb20033.png
    224 KB · Views: 686
  • srb20031.png
    srb20031.png
    312.9 KB · Views: 602
Wow, that level is better than I expected. I disliked how you used the same textures and how all the platforms were mostly square or circular, but over-all it was a good level. The emerald secret location takes a little long to get to, I suggest removing the water from the path you take to get to it, and that farm looked nice, even though I couldn't get to it, which would've been fun to search, but the level was pretty good. Certainly not the best level ever, but it would've served a good first level had you actually continued with this SRB2 Project.

Also, the crumbling platform-hopping section near the end is a little too spaced out, I suggest using three instead of two crumbling platforms.

You might like to know that under the "Tools" menu there's a function called "Find map errors..."

If you DO come back to modding SRB2, I suggest you make the player jump more. Build your level a little more vertically; that's the one thing that really popped at me as I was playing the level.

That wasn't what jumped out at me. What jumped out at me was the lack of texture variation, the boring gimmicks, the low and glitchy thok barrier that didn't even offer any visual cue that it blocked off certain parts, and the utter lack of any excitement.

I don't know if this level is even worth working on. If you do manage to salvage it and turn it into something playable, it'll require a hell of a lot more work than just starting from scratch.

By the way, where the heck did you get the name "Jade Gully"? "Jade" implies lots of green, and there was way more blue than green in that level.

The level is very flat and linear, it needs more platforming kind of like in GFZ2 and other first zones with this theme. The one platform following the checkpoint where you just had to stand on and it rises upward as long as you are on does not fit in this type of level, moving platforms and varying terrain are the two basic things that normally works best for levels with this theme. Spreading out the sectors to one part of the level from the other will be another thing to improve on (not referring to the smiley face), because it looks like you can go over the area when you cannot and does not really look all that great either.

If this was supposed to be based off of the first level of Sonic X-treme but here was too much blue for it to be called Jade Gully. Using a custom texture based off of the way Jade Gully's walls are would work more for this level,or even the GFZ wall texture would work better than the current texture.

I know this is a level that was going to be apart of a cancelled level pack, but it could have used a bit more of an improvement before being released.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back