Music that sounds similar to SRB2 music

Sparkette

Part of GFZ1 sounds like Alphaville's Forever Young, as pointed out by SiIvaGunner on YouTube. (Before which I had never noticed, and now I can't unhear it.)

Another song that's reminiscent of GFZ1 is a somewhat obscure track called A Raven in the Snow. (You don't need to listen long to hear the similar part, but you might want to anyway just cause it's real beautiful music.) I noticed this immediately when I first played SRB2.

This one is actually relevant to where it's heard in SRB2 so it's likely intentional, but I thought I'd mention it anyway since it's kind of subtle and I haven't seen anyone else mention it. If you listen to the v2.2 theme for Floral Field Zone (one of the NiGHTS-esque special stages), the part at 1:04 bears some similarity to a song from NiGHTS Into Dreams. I won't mention which one here cause it might be fun to listen to it and see if you can tell. But if you're wondering, I said it in a comment on the video. (Or you can click here; the similar part is at 1:23.)

I think that last one is especially neat because the v2.2 Special Stage themes, FFZ especially, are based on the old Special Stage theme, which was used for the Special Stage back when the NiGHTS levels were just an unlockable extra with nothing to do with the Special Stage. And that particular part of FFZ is no exception, being a clear remix of part of that theme. But it just so happens that that theme has a small part which was a bit similar to the one from NiGHTS, which apparently they noticed and decided to make it sound even more similar while still keeping with the melody of the Special Stage theme.

NiGHTS's Splash Garden theme is present in the game as Dream Hill's theme (which uses the GFZ tileset) so that's pretty fair, hah.

SiIvagunner is just a meme channel.

But I can hear some similarities.
I'm a contributor to SiIvaGunner and I'm not a huge fan of having it dismissed as "just a meme channel", especially in recent years where many of the old staple jokes have long run dry. While many of the channel uploads are certainly memetic, a lot of what I like about the channel is that it has a lot of genuinely impressive pieces of music beneath all the jokes.

Anyway, as for song similarities, I surprisingly don't have a whole lot in terms of SRB2's soundtrack. I think that's sort of a good thing, because to my understanding the game's soundtrack wasn't intended to imitate other songs. However, I have always thought the backing rhythm of Red Volcano Zone Act 1 (especially the "chorus" section) sounded an awful lot like a certain meme song. Hint: it's a song known for having a parody released in 2011, based on a popular video game.

I'm a contributor to SiIvaGunner and I'm not a huge fan of having it dismissed as "just a meme channel", especially in recent years where many of the old staple jokes have long run dry. While many of the channel uploads are certainly memetic, a lot of what I like about the channel is that it has a lot of genuinely impressive pieces of music beneath all the jokes.

Excuse me but most people sees it as a meme channel...

While I do appreciate many high quality rip (such as the Sonic and Kirby ones) people are just making memes around it... It feels like it's the Jojo's Bizarre adventure equivalent of VG music channels.

I don't hate it but most of the time I feel like this channel is just one huge s***post rather than people making good remixes...

I'd love if there was a way to find the actually great rips instead of having to browse many Gangnam Style remixes...

SRB2 isn't based off Virtual Sonic's album to begin with? It's basically the 90's music style as a whole that it reminds me of.

This is like cheating but eh :P
Not as much as Pipe Towers Zone would be. :P Was that track (the SRB2 one) ever used in Sapphire Falls Zone, by the way? I feel like I remember it being used in that level. (Also what's Sonic's Emerald Quest - Tails' House?)
EDIT: Found the answer to both of my questions here. Sonic Emerald Quest was an RPG that STJr had previously planned on making. Tails' house was in that game, and that track was originally made to play there. And yes, it was used for Sapphire Falls Zone in the past.

That's the one! I knew there was another song I was forgetting that sounded similar to GFZ.

Oh wow... What's the original song?
No Doubt - Don't Speak. The part is at 2:43.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back