Resource icon

Green Springflower Zone 4 (Version 1.1)

CST1229

back after too much time
This is my attempt at a GFZ4, in 2.2!
NOTE: The version labeled "_headerless" has the modified GFZ3 header (which was modified so the next level is this map, MAPJ1) removed.

1.0: Initial release
1.1: Added some puddles # Decreased Thing count significantly (and cleaned up the decoration in the first 2 sections # Lowered the slope at the beginning (A new route is now used for the token) and tweaked the slope at the end # Many minor changes
-I originally drew this in school in like November 2019 i think, back before 2.2 was released, when this map was intended for 2.1. Now, when i finally decided to create it, 2.2 was already released.
-Aside from this, i also drew another map: A Match map based off of Deep Sea. (of course its 2.1 version) It was scrapped. Maybe i'll make it later.
-The drawn version of the map has a vastly different third section compared to the finished map, mostly because i forgot the layout.
-The map took roughly 2-3 days to build (if i only counted the days i worked on it).
-I designed this map for Sonic, and playtested it as Sonic too.
-GFZ Bush Tree isn't solid.
-Also GFZ Cherry Tree is a pink tree, not a tree with cherries on it.
-The size required for wide level thumbnails is 564 x 100 (standard is 160 x 100). When i did the thumbnail, i made a 1280x800 screenshot, cropped it to 1181x200, then downscaled it to the thumbnail resolution.
-Level thumbnails go in the Maps folder for PK3s.
-I really like GFZWAVE. So i made a carpet thing by making a rectangle with the texture and shaping it accordingly. It is featured 3 times in the level.
-The level CAN be completed in under 20 seconds (as Sonic).
-I designed this stage so most of the detail is in the Things, so low-end devices should perform well. When i played this map (OpenGL renderer, infinite render distance), it ran at a constant 35fps.
1. Put a bunch of objects down (I chose the circle of rings/blue spheres, since they were big and they weren't used in the map itself.)
2. Select ALL of your objects.
3. Click Things -> Filter Selection.
4. Select the objects you placed in Step 1, then click OK.
5. Right-click on one of the objects to open up the Thing menu.
6. Multi-select the decoration you want in the selector.
7. Done!

Attachments

• srb20012.png
    srb20012.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 1,327
  • srb20005.png
    srb20005.png
    282.7 KB · Views: 1,216
  • srb20006.png
    srb20006.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 907
  • srb20009.png
    srb20009.png
    160.7 KB · Views: 785
  • MAPJ1.jpg
    MAPJ1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 772
  • VS_GreenSpringflower4-v1-1.pk3
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,785
  • VS_GreenSpringflower4_headerless-v1-1.pk3
    80.7 KB · Views: 684
  • VS_GreenSpringflower4_archive-v1.zip
    135.6 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:
This level shows potential, but I have a bit of criticism. You should've taken a bit more care to correct some of the slopes, I noticed a bit too many crooked ones, especially at the beginning. The level is way too short, I think this needed more time in the oven to add more beef to the thing, there's also two checkpoints, one directly after you spawn and one right before the signpost. Both of these are pretty unnecessary. Speaking of, there's too many Things in general! Rings, plants, Crawlas, they're all in a bit too much abundance in one spot. But, the amount of spikes are fine though. Overall, I like it despite the shortcomings and it's a neat little touch to put in between GFZ and THZ.

It's really short, and the overabundance of rings seems a little unusual at first, but I wouldn't call either of those a bad thing. Considering where this level sits in the game progression, I think that actually works real well. It would be cool if SRB2 had an extra "bonus act" after the boss in each zone (except maybe ERZ and BCZ) that was short, easy, and full of collectibles, as a sort of epilogue to the zone. Simple enough that you still feel like you're essentially done with the level once you beat the boss.

If you like that idea, one addition I'd suggest to that end would be to add a tunnel or something immediately before the end of the act, and have the far side of that tunnel look like Techno Hill Zone. (And in case you're wondering, I was planning on typing this part before I saw CST1229's post. :) )

PK3s are generally quite smaller in size, maybe that's the reason? (I have not looked at the insides of the file so I can't guess how much space is being saved. Still though, I'm sure netplayers appreciate smaller filesizes)

PK3s are generally quite smaller in size, maybe that's the reason? (I have not looked at the insides of the file so I can't guess how much space is being saved. Still though, I'm sure netplayers appreciate smaller filesizes)
Yes, i used PK3s due to the compression and also organization.

I mean there really would be no point of using a wad, you'd have to put it in a zip or 7z or something to be able to upload it to the mb

it's a nice, short, and to the point stage. a lot of detail was put in (notably at the beginning and ends). despite it being very nice looking, i did notice an excess of unused space in the second area, it would have been nice if there were more things to do (especially on the ground). the fountain and water pools were a nice detail though, just you never really get to see it since half of the level is spent in the air. the platforms that lead to the previous section are neat and encourage exploration, however it's a shame that's the only instance exploration is encouraged. if the level were expanded on in the future, it would be nice to see more things like that. overall great level, could benefit from more reasons to explore the level and not immediately rush to the goal.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back