Starcraft II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEV3

There and back again~
Long long ago, in a galaxy far away... there were lightsaber duels and impressive space battles. Space science-fiction is not exclusive to movies though and many competitive RTS players will agree that the lesser known Starcraft has an admirable storyline.

The first game had the most drastically unique factions ever in a game, something EA's trying desperately to emulate, but after the long wait, Blizzard is trying to reclaim the crown... (they never lost it in Korea apparently, the first game still sees many online games over a decade since it came out) Starcraft II will not make any extensive changes to its formula, and nostalgia will probably form a huge part of the appeal (like Megaman 9), it also hopes to achieve the best online RTS experience around.

With the "When it's done" phrase seeming to prolong the eventual release indefinitely, a bombshell announcement shows that if you are in it for the multiplayer its going to come a little sooner, but if you are interested a campaign uncompromised in length and depth spanning three releases with three different formats for each and all likely moving the story one step closer to its climax independently (probably much like the first one), then you might have mixed feelings about the fact that there are going to be three releases.

Personally I am all for it, because the story of Starcraft is something I've enjoyed above all other games. Each one will have a full campaign's worth of content, so they would be worth it. You can find a summary of the first game's story here and its expansion here... Terrans are a colony of men exiled from earth, which shows up briefly as the faction's campaign protagonist in the expansion, and specifically important characters are Marshall Jim Raynor and Lieutenant Kerrigan. Both become involved in the Zerg invasion and the Terran rebellion, and Kerrigan ends up being abandoned by the would-be emperor Mengsk to the Zerg, at which point she becomes transformed into the series' primary antagonist. The links provide deeper explanations and also explanations of the Protoss and Zeratul.

I guess Blizzard has been known for their cinematic masterpieces in the first game, and they aren't about to miss their opportunity here. The trailer was pretty impressive when it was first announced (with some awesome music as well). There were also an awesome teaser trailer for Zerg, and just recently they released the cutscene of Zeratul killing some zerg also with some reference of the return of Xel Naga.

Personally I am really looking forward to each installment and especially finding out what comes next in the storyline. How many of you are familiar with it, and are you in favor of or against the trilogy aspect of the game?

As far as I'm concerned, since each part of the trilogy will have as much (if not more) content as each original Starcraft game, I'm all for it. I've been playing Blizzard games almost my entire life and I don't see why this won't continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back