What's Your Perfect Sonic Game?

8 hours are you mad. That's way too long and I wouldn't even know what that would be like. It would probably be crap like Sonic Forces was. I think any game that pushes the gameplay hours past it's natural limit is asking to be a bad game.
Are you implying that most Open World (like Breath of the Wild) are bad because the gameplay time can be increased to the hundred of hours? Same for RPGs with a tons of sidequests?

Also one of the biggest criticism toward Forces was the shortness of the game (you could even be able to refund the game on Steam after finishing it).

While I do agree that artificially extending the game time (like Unleashed's night stages) isn't always a good idea I think that adding stuff to encourage the player to replay the game (like Mania's encore mode, Time Attack or having multiple characters) can improve the game time.

The Chaos Emerald are a good example of that (trying to get all 7 is a post-game goal after all).

8 hours is way too long for a Sonic game, it's a fast-paced platformer game series, not a RPG one. Maybe adding missions would make the game longer without forcing the player to do those.
I don't wanna finish the whole thing in one sitting. I want it to last me at least as long as Mario Galaxy.

I don't wanna finish the whole thing in one sitting. I want it to last me at least as long as Mario Galaxy.
As much as I liked Mario Galaxy I found that it was a bit too long at some point (which is why I think that Mario 64 handled the progression a bit better than Sunshine and the subsequent 3D games).

And Mario isn't Sonic, it's not the same design philosophy.

Blank Title

As much as I liked Mario Galaxy I found that it was a bit too long at some point (which is why I think that Mario 64 handled the progression a bit better than Sunshine and the subsequent 3D games).

And Mario isn't Sonic, it's not the same design philosophy.
So Sonic games can't be long?

all this game length talks aside i'd love a 3d sonic game that focuses on the gameplay, level design and controls, and little else. a game that lets you go fast and maintain your speed for the entire level, but it has to be earned. i made a document about what my ideal sonic game moveset would be, but here's a quick summary:

sonic should have a drift that can let him make flexible and quick turns at high speeds, and a quickstep to adjust his position.
there should also be a move that allows sonic to instantaneously turn around 180 degrees with a quick press of a button, but holding it will allow him to charge a peelout on the spot.
sonic should be able to achieve a boost-like state (at top speed only) that allows him to automatically drop dash at every jump, drift more easily, but will also be removed from this state after being damaged or stopping.

So Sonic games can't be long?
The main story (aka the way to end the game and see the credits) should never be too long to reach (hello Heroes and your 4 playthroughs to reach the final boss).

The main point of a good Sonic game is the replay value, Sonic 2, 3&K and Mania are good exemples.

I spent several dozens hours in those because I tried different characters (that still plays like Sonic but with their own quirks and in the same levels) and I also did playthrough as super/hyper Sonic because it feels great to go through the game while being overpowered.

In short: Sonic should be more arcade-like and speedrun-friendly so you could easily restart the entire game without too much problems.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back