Super Mario 64 (N64, DS, PC, etc.) Discussion

klasky

he/him
Thought making this thread, because why not? What do you think about SM64, the DS remake or the PC port? Or the other ports? Feel free to share it! I'd start.

=====================================================

A few years ago, I was trying to complete SM64. I don't remember exactly if I actually did, but I remember that I was at the last Bowser boss fight, and I defeated him. I wanted to play Tails' theme from SA1 so I can finish my SM64 journey, however I didn't have the time, so I didn't. However, this year, I tried to complete SM64 2 times, but Shifting Sand Land's 5th mission just ruined the whole experience and I had enough of the game. Both times were in the PC port, but the 2nd one was with the current one, when I managed to compile the PC port. At the end, I have finally beaten SM64 (on the PC port, still counts as beating the N64 version tho, as the PC port's save files are compatible with emulators) on July. Was frustating at times, but it was worth. I have also beaten the DS remake in October, too. Well, I prefer the original over the remake. DS is good too, but not as good as the original one. Here is my opinion down about the game:
This game, while it's one of the greatest, is also one of the games that at a point, it's very frustating due to one single level and you have enough of it (at least, for me back when I was trying to complete it). The Wing Cap's controls are pretty awkward, and SSL's 5th mission was proof of it. Ray the Flying Squirrel's Air Glide, which is similar to the Wing Cap, had better controls than that. Most levels are good, although not all of them are perfect. Cool Cool Mountain's 5th mission was starting to make me a bit mad, but I had the will power to complete it. Then there's Jolly Roger Bay's 5th mission. That also was not so good at first, but I managed to complete it. HMC's 5th mission was like that too. I just noticed that some of the levels' 5th mission is.. awkward. And the controls aren't perfect, too. It has some flaws, along the camera, but it's useable, at least. Out of the powerups, I liked Metal Mario and the Vanish Cap. But Metal Mario is my favorite SM64 power-up. The Bowser boss fights weren't not too bad. Though I found it odd at first that if I throw Bowser into that bomb in the first level at the boss arena, he instantly just loses.
I have also tried SM64DS. I have less progress on that, but I liked the remake, even if there's that darn run button. I liked the new "Draw a Picture" feature in the remake, I had fun with it. I loved that there is 3 more character you can play as. I also was fine with the visuals, too. Though, the Wing Cap controls were still the same :(
Then there's the PC port. In my opinion, it's the definitive way to play the game. Widescreen, 60fps, new camera, Tight Controls and more! There's also Render96, which imports recreated SGI models and SGI-styled levels! It was nice that the game got ported to PCs and other consoles. Never excepted that some day, someone would do that...

=====================================================
TL;DR: This game is good and the best Mario game. DS version is good too, although not perfect and not as good as the original.

Last edited:
eVeRy CoPy Of Sm64 Is PeRsOnAlIZeD

All jokes aside, this game is pretty good. The DS version improves on it alot, but the controls are horrible. And I haven't played the PC thing cuz I'm to lazy to compile it myself. I feel like KingK's description of this game is very good, with it being like a tech demo for what Nintendo wanted to acomplish. Some levels are good, others are Big Boo's mansion. The controls are very nice, albeit with it's own problems depending on the version. The different caps are a very cool idea, being a way to cleverly use the iconic power-up system... unfortunately, the metal cap is the only one that isn't super clunky or extremely underused. Music... bro, this is a mario game. Of course it's a banger. At the end of the day, SM64 was amazing for it's time, and good nowindays. Plus, it invented the 3D collectathon/platformer genre so that's cool.

....Say, why is my bathroom a long hallway? And what's that big yellow thing at the end?...

My first experience of Mario 64 was through the DS version, I don't think I was ever able to get all 150 stars in that version but I had a good time with it. Maybe because I played Mario 64 after Sunshine, it wasn't quite as revolutionary to me as it was for a lot of other people, but there's still no mistaking there's an excellent game there.

Alrighty, just completed SM64 with 63 stars. I would need 70 stars so I can get to the final level, but I had enough of the shitty camera and controls that I didn't want to debit myself, I decided to BLJ the endless stairs.
I think I may go away from the game, until some mods come out what may interest me (for the pc port). I don't want to get all 120 stars. I already had enough...
Otherwise, it was a good experience. I learned that this game is mediocre, but fun. The levels at first are fun, then when Shifting Sand Land hits in with its 5th mission.... I wanted to complete the game already, but I didn't want to debit myself.
Hope some good mods will come out for the SM64 PC port, such as improved controls, Sonic (with true Sonic physics and not hahahahaha hyperspeed).

Alrighty, just completed SM64 with 63 stars. I would need 70 stars so I can get to the final level, but I had enough of the shitty camera and controls that I didn't want to debit myself, I decided to BLJ the endless stairs.
I think I may go away from the game, until some mods come out what may interest me (for the pc port). I don't want to get all 120 stars. I already had enough...
Otherwise, it was a good experience. I learned that this game is mediocre, but fun. The levels at first are fun, then when Shifting Sand Land hits in with its 5th mission.... I wanted to complete the game already, but I didn't want to debit myself.
Hope some good mods will come out for the SM64 PC port, such as improved controls, Sonic (with true Sonic physics and not hahahahaha hyperspeed).

Yeah, progressing throught the story the intendeed way/100% the game is a real pain in the ass. I simply had enough of the bad missions in the 2nd floor, so I just BLJ'd both stair casses, thus completing the game with a total of 36 stars. The DS version is much better while playing with Luigi and using the 3DS circle pad.

Super Mario 64 has literally defined how to make a 3D videogame on console. This was also the genre-defining game for 3D platforming. Still one of the best game from the Mario serie and platformer ever made

Too bad the DS remake suffered from having a D-pad because having Yoshi (and 2 others) as a playable character was a neat idea.

Seriously, who at Nintendo thought SM64DS' control scheme was a good idea? Dpads aren't optimal for 3D platforming at all, in fact those are often the first things that I end up breaking.

I recall spending a lot of my time trying to position for a jump in that game only to end up falling off, often to reunite with the oh-so-beloved bottomless pits. Only treasure awaiting at the end of that Rainbow Ride is an abundance of empty space to plummet down to.

I am sorry but is this allowed to talk about it? I mean as great as it is for fans it's kinda like stealing the game from Nintendo. I'd rather pay for a true remake made by them so fans can legitimately play an enhanced version of a masterpiece!

I am sorry but is this allowed to talk about it? I mean as great as it is for fans it's kinda like stealing the game from Nintendo. I'd rather pay for a true remake made by them so fans can legitimately play an enhanced version of a masterpiece!

Honestly, it doesn't`t really matter at this point if you have the port or not. SM64 is a very old game. Yes, piracy is very bad and I do not encourage it, but if you already bought the game (specifically the N64 ver), or there is no way you can buy it, I'm not stopping you.

Honestly, it doesn't`t really matter at this point if you have the port or not. SM64 is a very old game. Yes, piracy is very bad and I do not encourage it, but if you already bought the game (specifically the N64 ver), or there is no way you can buy it, I'm not stopping you.
I have a loose cartridge so it's fine for me but it's still a grey area.

Hope that Nintendo would still make an official remake like for Metroid Samus Return after AM2R was out.

I have a loose cartridge so it's fine for me but it's still a grey area.

Hope that Nintendo would still make an official remake like for Metroid Samus Return after AM2R was out.

Nintendo is well-known for not capitalizing for such demand as well as not doing anything with many of the more obscure franchises outside cameos or putting them in Smash... so I don't expact SM64 Remake happening any time soon.

With Nintendo seeking to enter the mobile game market, I find the direction the company is headed towards worrying to say the least.

My first experience was with the original N64 release, though my first time completing it was on the DS version.

Overall, I think it was quite the great game. It was a rocky first step for Nintendo and platformers as a whole. While not perfect, it certainly has stood the test of time, 24 years (and 1 month)later.

The game and its dedicated community have never been more alive, what with the PC port, the preservation project, the iceberg, and of course the new leaks revealing new info about the game. (including the find of my favorite character from the series being in the game)

Whatever happens next, I'm sure will be wonderful.

I think its a fine game overall, of course it can be a pain on the ass sometimes, but what can you do about a 1994 3D platformer?

I recently completed a rom hack that replaces Mario with Luigi and gives him Luigi physics AND completed it! (yea)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back