• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

WO123R: Oceanic Cove Zone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

123 Runite

Wait for it... *BANG*
Code:
<a href="#b7v151">UPDATE:  CLICK HERE</a>

As of Saturday, August 22, 2009

At first I was sure this would get done by the deadline for the OLDC of July/August 2008. But as school was about to start, I stopped working on it. This was originally made for 1.09.4. The earliest I can say I started on this level is... Beginning of May of 2008. This level has gone a very long way since then (ref. SCREENSHOT).

Another round of summer this year has passed, and during that summer I've been able to get back to it, and I've added a LOT of features. When 2.0 came out, I thought it would take forever to convert the 1.09 level to 2.0, until I found out what lvlconv.exe can do. After the level's conversion I've managed to finish the level with a few 2.0 additions.

I've had a few beta versions of the level tested in my server, and I really thank those who have joined and given their feedback and suggestions (see a list of beta testers below). In addition, because of those random testers I had - and some who I told to test - now I feel the level can be greatly improved on even more.

This is a single player level that can be played in cooperative mode and perhaps race mode. Many have said it's very long, but there will be two acts in the whole zone, which are this act, and the boss act. I won't cut the level into smaller acts because that will ruin the whole adventurous feel of the level, i.e. with an exit sign among areas, the whole break between acts will just demolish the flow of the entire zone, or at least in the developer's view.

The level will be part of a series of levels in the World of 123 Runite level pack. Here is a brief story behind it, in case you have any questions regarding some areas in the level after playing through it:
After Sonic disabled the bombs planted by Dr. Robotnik in Runite City Zone, Sonic followed Robotnik across the ocean and into a cavern. Robotnik seemed to have gone through rather quickly, and in haste, fired his missiles at the cavern, causing some areas to crumble within. Sonic, still at the foot of the cavern's entrance, has no time to go around the cave, as it is mountainous. The only way to trace Robotnik's steps is through the cavern.
In this level you will be hopping across an ocean cove, exploring icy, cold, dark, and damp caves, discovering a lost, underwater temple (or shrine, whatever you want to call it), and avoiding falling rocks caused by Robotnik's missiles.

In the first place, this level was Act 2 of OCZ. But because some have complained of death gimmicks early in the level, I made a new starting area. I've achieved the concept of Act 1, which basically was getting into the cavern, in this level, so I renamed it to the first act of the zone. Act 2, again, will be the boss act. Maybe all the other zones will be like this from now on. Act 1: Level, Act 2: Boss. But, it would take forever to make just one act, just like this one.

Because originally Oceanic Cove Zone had massive detail, the level lagged very badly for some systems (however, some already know, it worked fine in my dad's computer). I decided to make three detail versions of the level, like Digiku had done with Botanic Serenity. The lowend version was the one hosted in my server. This version contains some fake water in the beginning to reduce the terrible lag in that area. The highend version has all the original detail, and... a lot more rendering errors.

Here is more information of the wad, including a list of beta testers and known issues in the level, which can be found in the MAINCFG lump. Each detail version roughly has the same words.

Code:
#----------
# OCEANIC COVE ZONE BUILD 7, VERSION 1.5.1 LOWEND EDITION by UNSC (123 Runite) - TROD
#  SECOND MB Release:  UPDATE RUSH TO FIX EMERGENCIES
#----------

#----------
# I would like to acknowledge JKirk256, SonicX8000, Darkspeed, Doms, APOCALYPSE, Luky95, HMS1223311, icyColdLava, 
#  ToadyTheToad, Chaofanatic, Kitsune, Sonic (?), Haru, New Player, Foxboy, Bluethefox, Abridged Pharaoh, Kitsune, Brad, 
#  Instant, Mz. Amy, Goddratini, D00D64, ZX (Zero), Agent Hack, Blargh, Cedric, and Pokechar for testing the level 
#  [U][B]before this release[/B][/U]. 
#          --TENTATIVE REMARK
#
# Titan, Rocky the Ultimate, Shayde, Junaid, and Donman, I'm still waiting for your review.

# This level is long and massive, some areas may lag, so be forewarned (depends on system)!  This level will require
#  skill, endurance, and determination to get through with Sonic.  Please try not to "cheat" your way through  the 
#  level with any other character than Sonic (see Forcecharacter = 0).  [B]This was created with Sonic, or any other skin 
#  that behaves like Sonic (see HINOTE), in mind.  Tails, Knuckles, or any other character that behaves like them have 
#  been disregarded.[/B]

# [B]There is one emerald token in this level.[/B]  If you're the type of person who likes finding secrets, then finding
#  this will be a good challenge for you :).  *There will be a couple more added...
# This is a level that will be included in the World of 123 Runite level pack.  Finishing ACT 2 with an emerald
#  token in possession will take you to a special stage, but a rather unique one:  a merging of the concepts of
#  the original special stages with Mystic Realm's emerald stages.  It will be like a regular stage, but you'll
#  have to find a number of rings to get the emerald.

# [B]The Wing Logo in the level temporarily serves as a placeholder for the emblem.[/B]  Although it won't be there as new
#  routes will be added ocassionally, there will still be an emblem somewhere as a Wing Logo until the level is
#  finally included in the level pack, World of 123 Runite.
#----------

#----------
# Known issues (as of SRB2 v.2.0.4, OCZ1 Build 7 v.1.5.1):
#  Some floating, bobbing platforms floating on water FOFs that rise and fall perpetually seem to float by themselves,
#   in midair, when the height of the water reaches a certain level (see DARK UNDERGROUND PATH).
#  MANY rendering errors with the textures throughout the level:  e.g. SLIME TRAILS all over the starting area.
#   (Where is OPENGL when you need it...)
#  At times you can slip off the teleporting switches, causing the switch to be pressed, but the translucent pipe to
#   not come down.  This will remain so, until I can get the "Disable Player Control" linedef (437) to work.
#  The level lags terribly in netgames.  Try the level in single player first, and then have fun in the netgame.
#   REMEMBER TO GIVE ME YOUR REVIEW, either through the server, or through a private message to 123 RUNITE on the 
#   forums (beta message).
#----------

#----------
# The purpose of these changelogs is for the beta testers to see what has been changed so they know what to expect, 
#  and for everyone else to see how much has changed since the level's initial release.
#
#
# Build 7, Version 1.5.1 changelog:
# *AN EMERGENCY UPDATE, BUT TO THE LOWEND EDITION, DUE TO LACK OF TIME
#  Took out the annoying script that was activated upon level load
#  Deleted some jettysyns throughout the level
#  Deleted a few crawlas on the ice platforms
#  Added a couple of starposts
#  NO water can hurt the player
#  Disabled forcecharacter
#  Fixed the floating GFZGRASS texture in the sky of the beginning area
#  Made platforming jumps in the beginning area a little easier, a bit too easier, all platforms crumble
#  Brightness levels in the first falling rocks area have been changed in the crumbling blocks area to show which
#   crumble
#  Fixed found texture misfits
#  Added a couple of arrows underwater, should you fall in
#  Gargoyle is now needed for something... (part of SECRET AREAS)

# Build 6, Version 1.5 changelog (released Friday, August 21, 2009):
#  Updated "ABOUT"
#  Sky and weather misfists have been fixed, especially in multiplayer
#  The first zoom tube has been fixed -TENTATIVE
#  Jettysyns in the mountain area have been removed, as well as a few crawlas in other areas
#  The sky in the third zoom tube (numbered as level progresses) has been changed to match the overall time of day in
#   the level (late afternoon - late evening)
#  Some crumbling platforms over the deathpit in the temple don't fall anymore -> texture changes to show which will
#   "crumble"
#  A few falling rocks have been removed, especially in the lowend edition
#  A few areas expanded to relieve crampedness
#  Moved some arrows closer to the player's vision
#  Aligned those textures that previously weren't aligned, if possible...
#  Changed the textures in the crumbling temple area to those with vines
#  Added an arrow pointing to the right on the top of the stairs in the crumbing temple area
#  Translucent white ice columns are not translucent anymore since they looked like beams of light
#  The buzz in the small secret area has been moved to meet with the other buzzes directly above
#  Fixed a couple of missing textures found
#  Removed the water beneath the third teleporter in the lowend edition
#  The first island the player is on has been removed in the lowend edition, and now the player starts at the second
#   island instead
#  Waterfalls in the beginning area have been fixed in the lowend edition
#  The conveyor belt of the water in the lowend edition has been fixed
#  The water does NOT rise and fall perpetually in the lowend edition anymore
#  Added some scenery in the first cave area
#  Added wind in the first zoom tube to prevent sneaking in from the wrong entry
#  Increased speed of zoom tube leading into the cave
#  Removed death pit on the columns in the temple area
#  Modified walls of the third teleporter area (extremely minor change)
#  Added a crumbling FOF between the "spin-dash-jump" part in the temple area to make the jump easier
#  Gargoyles in the temple area are now unpushable in the lowend edition
#  Added a couple of small secret areas where one can find a monitor(s)
#  Added air bubbles in the ocean in the beginning (note: these bubbles flow with the current as well!)
#  Fixed a difference error in the lowend edition with the floating rocks -> added a few more rocks for scenery, that's it!
#  All the Stupid Dumb Unnamed Robo Fishes now jump much lower (ANGLE = 0)
#  Took out a FEW Jettysyns in the starting area
#  Fixed the nasty texture error in the rope hang area in highend edition
#  Added a zoom tube to allow the player to go back to the beginning area
#  Added some scenery in the starting ocean area
#  Changed a monitor to a different monitor...
#  Fixed the hidden deathpit on the cold water in the first falling rocks area
#  Fixed a few lighting errors throughout level

# Build 5, Version 1.4 changelog:
# *THIS NEW VERSION HAS BEEN MADE TO FIX THE LAG IN THE NEW STARTING AREA.
#  Different detail editions of the level have been made:  A low detail, medium detail, and high detail edition - for
#   the player to decide which runs best on his or her system.  Each edition provides roughly equal difficulty, i.e.
#   no edition is easier than the other when progressing through the level.  For the lowend and midend editions, 
#   because detail has been removed, more rendering errors may be visible.
#  For the highend edition, there is now rain to go with the thunderstorm
#  Added a little secret room in the beginning area
#  Few rocks found to be slippery are not slippery anymore
#  A gamedata has been incorporated into this level to prevent the transformation into Super Sonic!
#  Added a level select preview of level

# Build 4, Version 1.3 changelog:
#  Different music:  former = Sonic 3D Blast, Volcano Valley Zone Act 1, now = Sonic CD (Japan), Tidal Tempest Zone
#   Present
#  Added a new and different starting area, where you are outside of the cave, at the ocean, under a thunder storm
#    -> This is now a two-act zone:  level, boss - the idea of Act 1 has been achieved in this level
#  Since SKY101 was a custom patch and wasn't used, the lumps, PNAMES, TEXTURE1, PLAYPAL, and SKY101 have been
#   deleted (saved a few KB)
#  Made the former beginning area a tad easier:
#   The pit in the former beginning area has been replaced by dirt flooring -> springs can be found on the water
#    bed to allow for escape -> placed seaweed and air bubbles on the new pit
#   Expanded one of the rocky crumbling platforms to make the jump easier
#  Added something in the former beginning area on an ice platform with a spring on it that may help...
#  Changed textures for a few falling rocks and column supports
#  Added a few ice column supports
#  Moved columns out of the way of broken ice platforms in the former starting area
#  Added many blue crystals in cave areas that had none
#  Made it more obvious for the player to go into the "warm" water that doesn't hurt
#  Took out the air bubbles in the upwards current stream
#  The hidden current area, which when in contact with, resulted in death, has changed so that you won't die - led to
#   some changes with scenery, shapes of a few sectors, and deletion of some rings that conflicted with the change
#  Extended, only a little bit, a part of the mountain to make a jump easier for the player, and added a few more
#   rings leading to that jump
#  Jettysyn Bombers in the mountain area have been replaced by Gunners
#  All detons have been replaced by other robots
#  Rings that previously weren't aligned with other rings are now aligned
#  Some textures that previously weren't aligned have been aligned
#  Deleted crawlas on the floating platforms moving up and down over the dark pit
#  Few ice found to have not been slippery are now slippery
#  Added lighting effects for some death pits (lowered some deathpits to achieve putting half light blocks
#  Made bustable blocks that are in the path of the level more obvious
#  Ocean spikes at the former starting area are now ramp sectors
#  Moved the column on the snow to another place from the short zoom tube to avoid confusion
#  Added column support to the elevator in the open temple area
#  Added a web texture in the hallways leading away from open temple area
#  Added some falling rocks and lighting detail in the final cavern area
#  Lowered brightness level from 255 to 208 in the finishing area
#  Fixed the SFX for the pressing of the secret switches (part of SECRET AREAS)

# Build 3, Version 1.2 changelog:
#  Deleted some robots, especially on those small platforms
#  Slowed down rate at which switches are pressed and lowered (part of SECRET AREAS)
#  Fixed some water that were missing current
#  Fixed broken zoom tubes
#  Added a SFX to one of the secret switches (part of SECRET AREAS)
#  Raised the height for some of the falling ice blocks
#  The sky above the temple elevator is now an instant death sector (part of SECRET AREAS)
#  Added a solid, translucent FOF in zoom tube exits to prevent re-entry
#  Removed the deathpit on top of a column
#  Added a resetemeralds feature for disabling the transformation into Super Sonic (well I've tried, I'm afraid this
#   won't work with v.2.0.3, but I hope it gets fixed soon)
#  The stone cages are now surrounded by a solid, invisible FOF to prevent going through them
#  Deleted the web texture before the crumbling temple
#  Fixed some texture misfits
#  The invisible teleporting sector for the temple switch can now be triggered continuously (part of SECRET AREAS)
#  Moved the extra life monitor off Switch #2 (part of SECRET AREAS)
#  Added a few blue crystals throughout the level
#  Some rings that were missing in zoom tubes are now in their proper place
#  Added some lighting effects in the second room with the falling rocks
#  Fixed a minor waterfall underwater issue
#  Made the level more alive by adding some water ambience effects
#  Replaced an attraction shield with an extra life monitor
#  Added very few rings after the fifth starpost (underwater hole)
#  Moved the rings arrow in the slippery mountain area (starpost 3)

# Build 2, Version 1.1 changelog (fuzzy):
#  Added a third zoom tube before the fourth starpost
#  SECRET AREA can now be accessible with Sonic (part of SECRET AREAS)
#  Fixed rope hang feature above water
#  Custom exit replaced with an emerald token (part of SECRET AREAS)
#  Added more fish and underwater scenery throughout water pits

# Build 1, Version 1.0 changelog:
#  NOTHING!  Has a beginning and an end, with many challenges in between.  A level has been made!
Because this is already going to be released on the forums, some lines in the MAINCFG can be disregarded.

Let's cut to the chase. Here are some screenshots (note: taken in highend version).

OCZ101.PNG
OCZ104.PNG
OCZ105.PNG
OCZ109.PNG
OCZ112.PNG
OCZ116.PNG

More screenshots, and some rather larger ones of roughly the same areas, can be found here.

--
Because another year of school is about to begin, at least for me, I may have to stop working on this again until next summer. But in the meantime, I would like even more feedback on this level.

From the last beta test, I made a list of what will be done when I get back to it. Here is but a part of said list:

TO DO:

• *Add an underwater route, for the "platformerly challenged" (at the moment, there really is only one way through)
  • Find different music?
  • Create other robots related to the theme of the level, and place them in place of some existing ones
  • Find ways to fix lag?
  • Put in holes, or some openings, to show where water is coming from
  • Replace fake water with real water (except those in the starting area, reason mentioned)
  • Think about what to do with the water...
  • Change some textures? -look over IWAD and see which textures also fit well
  • Do something about the beginning area in highend...
  • Find another way to move from one room to another, besides using obvious teleporters
I could use a lot more help on this! If you have any ideas for the level, custom enemies, and for the boss act, please let me know.

Release

There is its own gamedata to prevent the transformation into Super Sonic while you're in the level. I have no idea why RESETEMERALDS won't work. It worked fine in 1.09, though.

About netgames: Usually if you're at MAPB1, because the level is huge when someone joins, there is a long freeze and the joiner may get a timeout. Go to a smaller map to fix this if it keeps happening. Also, to achieve full capability of the level in a server (or perhaps single player), make sure you are not running any other programs besides SRB2.

Build 6, Version 1.5 Download links (different detail levels) (As of Saturday, August 22, 2009):

I could've put this in releases, but, seeing that another path can still be added, it's in editing. Though if you feel that this can be put into the Levels forum, then go ahead and move it.

---
Code:
<a name="b7v151">UPDATE</a>
Build 7, Version 1.5.1 released

This is a rush update to just fix the common complaints in the level. This only affects the lowend edition. The next version will affect all detail levels.

Changelog below:

Code:
# Build 7, Version 1.5.1 changelog:
# *AN EMERGENCY UPDATE, BUT TO THE LOWEND EDITION, DUE TO LACK OF TIME
#  Took out the annoying script that was activated upon level load
#  Deleted some jettysyns throughout the level
#  Deleted a few crawlas on the ice platforms
#  Added a couple of starposts
#  NO water can hurt the player
#  Disabled forcecharacter
#  Fixed the floating GFZGRASS texture in the sky of the beginning area
#  Made platforming jumps in the beginning area a little easier, a bit too easier, all platforms crumble
#  Brightness levels in the first falling rocks area have been changed in the crumbling blocks area to show which
#   crumble
#  Fixed found texture misfits
#  Added a couple of arrows underwater, should you fall in
#  Gargoyle is now needed for something... (part of SECRET AREAS)
The lag hasn't been fixed, yet. Just try closing any other programs other than SRB2 when running the level. Also, the beta testers list hasn't been updated either. Some of the water also won't remain safe. I'm going to continue to think about that.

Build 7, Version 1.5.1 (rush fix) Download Links
(as of Monday, August 24, 2009): Download now (mirror)

Please note there may be slight differences between Build 7 and the future Build 8 because of this inconsistency (changing only one detail version).

---
Build 6 Private Beta testers not mentioned:
I've had a few private beta testers already for this new version. I will add their names below as I find them in my logs.
Darkbob1713, Phoenix, PK the Phailhog, Kirbyfan, Filio, Fish, SonicASD, Stoney, XSpeedGodX, Frost the Hedgehog, Phoenix*, Kyle, SuperFlash, PEDROGUAY, KJ, Sonic17TH, DJ, Brawl (sorry missed you when I was writing up the MAINCFG)
Some not listed have said you would come back to give me your review, but other than you saying that, I didn't really hear any of your thoughts on the level. Hence, I didn't give you any credit.
Because this version is already provided on the MB, don't ask if you can be a beta tester, because the link is already in the topic. Just give me your review just like anyone else would do for other levels on the MB.

Issues in the level already known
  1. For upwards and downwards current, is there a way to make the player face a certain direction while in such current?
  2. There seems to be a terrible graphics problem in the rope pulley area in the highend edition. (whoops, this has already been resolved)
  3. SFX 43 (crumbling sound) seems to not work when the house "crumbles."
  4. What seems to be a missing texture in the walls of the "one-way" bustable block area. There is supposed to be a front, lower texture there, and there is. In fact, I decided to put in a higher, middle, and lower texture for the linedef. Nevertheless, one can find the mirrors effect.
  5. Some floating, bobbing platforms floating on water FOFs that rise and fall perpetually seem to float by themselves, in midair, when the height of the water reaches a certain level (see DARK UNDERGROUND PATH).
  6. MANY rendering errors with the textures throughout the level: e.g. SLIME TRAILS all over the starting area. What could be done to help the starting area keep its beauty w/o having any of those ugly errors? (Where is OPENGL when you need it...)
  7. At times you can slip off the teleporting switches, causing the switch to be pressed, but the translucent pipe to not come down. This will remain so, until I can get the "Disable Player Control" linedef (437) to work.
  8. The level lags terribly in netgames. Try the level in single player first, and then have fun in the netgame.

Closing Credits

I would like to thank Some Guy and Kuja for creating awesome adventurous levels that inspired me to change my methods of making levels. Their levels serve as great examples for me. Not that others' weren't great, I just liked the feel of their levels. Their levels really caught my interest.

Last edited:
Woah, it's been quite a while hasn't it 123 Runite? It's nice to see that you're still alive and kicking.
About the level, it's really hard so I haven't finished it yet. That doesn't mean it's not fun though, I'm having a blast getting through certain rooms through trial and error, though most of my mistakes being made due to my own stupidity XD. There seems to be a pretty big resemblance to Kuja's Blaze Canyon Zone, in terms of design and uh, music. So far the level has been really great, and quite an improvement over the last fossilized beta I played oh so long ago.
I'll probably reply in more detail later.

Ice (Post #2) said:
There seems to be a pretty big resemblance to Kuja's Blaze Canyon Zone, in terms of design and uh, music.
That was one of my favorite zones ever made. I just loved its design and scenery. Perhaps I should give credit also to those whose ideas have inspired some areas of the level?

3 issues:

1. The crumbling platforms are WAY TOO FRUSTRATING.
2. There's a small patch in the lake at the start of the level where you forgot to add a water block. If you check everywhere, you'll find it.
3. No FORCESKIN, please.

3 issues:

2. There's a small patch in the lake at the start of the level where you forgot to add a water block. If you check everywhere, you'll find it.
3. No FORCESKIN, please.

The level was biult for Sonic and only Sonic, if I rember correctly. Talis and Knux wouldnt have to move a muscle here.

EDIT:
123 Runite said:
Build 6 Private Beta testers not mentioned:
I've had a few private beta testers already for this new version. I will add their names below as I find them in my logs.

Darkbob, Phoenix, PK the Phailhog, Kirbyfan, Filio, Fish, SonicASD, Stoney, XSpeedGodX, Frost the Hedgehog, Phoenix*, Kyle, SuperFlash, PEDROGUAY, KJ, Sonic17TH, DJ, Brawl (sorry missed you when I was writing up the MAINCFG)
I see four numbers missing from my name. Eh, I dont care anymore. =D

Last edited by a moderator:
I rather liked the level giving it a play through, but controlling Sonic on those icy platforms above deathtraps is virtually impossible unless you're some sort of uber-gamer. I only made it past the first room once out of the fifteen tries or so I gave it, so I switched to Tails and eventually made it through. Liked the scenery, and the music is epic! 9/10 overall, would be a 10 if it wasn't so difficult, though.

Last edited:
Despite having a ton of lag issues with this stage online (lowend version, even- the name was Brad), I played it in single player and just loved it. Never game over'd either, and I ended with 9 lives (and as Sonic throughout).

This stage is so intricate, and it's apparent that you really have put your heart and soul into it.

The beginning outside area does feel more WIP then the rest, however; though the collapsing platforms are infinitely more manageable with a steady framerate, they do feel somewhat oddly placed. The last one in the first set, for instance, seems a little too high. Perhaps the platforms in this section should be tad smaller, and slightly more numerous?

As for the second set, eh, I'm not exactly a fan of being forced to thok. The main game treats that ability as a convenience rather than a necessity, which is how I feel it should be.

Lastly, that zoom tube just feels iffy all over. Is it supposed to be the wind carrying you? I would recommend just scrapping that part altogether, and creating a separate means of reaching the top area.

The rest of the stage is just a-ok in my book. It is long, though the stage is very rich, tiered, detailed, and fulfilling overall. Great work so far.

Last edited:
My god. I'm really quite impressed with the incredible craftsmanship and effort behind this single level - I think it's the largest to date! Have you ever considered splitting it up into multiple levels? If every mod in your level is going to be this long, then I can't imagine how long that would take. If you had released this level in Submissions (and if it was totally complete and all), it probably would have made the Hall of Fame section.

The only issue I found was in the nodesbuild, but I would expect no less from such a huge level!

To satisfy your curiousity, I played the level on high end and experienced no lag issues.

Either way, I'm quite looking forward to seeing more levels from you

Last edited:
Well, this stage is pretty epic in general, but there are a few issues I'd like to bring up.

High end's opening room needs framerate work, period. I'm on an incredibly good computer and I started to chug at 640x400. That room should have some detail removed and be made smaller to fix the framerate and the slime trails.

Water is very inconsistent in your stage. In some parts it hurts you and in some parts it doesn't. Choose one or the other, because it felt really cheap to suddenly get hit when it didn't hurt before.

Teleporters are annoying. If you absolutely must teleport the player, force the player into a small passage and use teleport relative to hide the fact that you're doing it, like ERZ2 does.

There is definitely a swarm mentality of Jetty-syns in this map. Might I suggest toning them down a bit, and perhaps adding some of the new enemies? This really feels like a port from 1.09.4 (which I assume it is)

Finally, the texturing in a lot of areas could use some serious work. Especially the rock texture usage feels ugly. There's a massive selection of new textures in 2.0, I suggest you use them to provide some better look in the indoor areas.

Other than the nitpicks, though, this is a very well-done map with plenty of content. Keep up the good work.

fawfulfan said:

2. There's a small patch in the lake at the start of the level where you forgot to add a w
ater block. If you check everywhere, you'll find it.
3. No FORCESKIN, please.

darkbob1713 said:
The level was built for Sonic and only Sonic, if I renumber correctly. Talis and Knux wouldn't have to move a muscle here.

It doesn't matter if it was made for Sonic! If a level has forceskin it prevents you from the already few STK selection. Please take it out. If player want a challenge then they will chose Sonic, while others who want to just view the level can choose Tails.

Wow. This completely blew my mind. Apart from issues Mystic mentioned, this pretty much perfectly. There ARE some pretty frustrating jumps (which you apparently want to fix), but I'm perfectly fine with a challenging level. I have to admit though that I haven't yet made it through this level as Sonic. At one point I gameover'd as Sonic (the Egg-Palace-esque part, if you know what I mean) and decided to play it in multiplayer with Knux up to the point where I died before. I changed to Sonic then and everything was fine.
Another thing is the hurting water. I'd suggest to make it normal because once you're in it, you have almost no chance to make it out alive.
I pretty much expected a level to be inspired by Kuja and Some Guy to be really awesome, and to find out that it was even better than Blaze Canyon or Egg Palace, leaves me to say that you have won my vote for the best level maker in this community. 10/10 despite the issues.

Nice comeback, 123 Runite. =)

I'll upload a better version of Tidal Tempest Present with PROPER looping later on for you.

I never played the game, Sonic CD, I never really heard the music in the original level, and I just completely made up that loop point because it sounded like it works. But at least I tried. I was randomly looking for music that would fit well in the level, and it seemed this was the best one I found so far, though some have said it didn't fit that well in the cave area. But I had no background of how the music had fit where it came from.

*Waits for that one person who will just hate the level, and who may have some followers behind him* Who knows, NOT EVERYONE can like it...

Last edited:
I can see how someone would not like the level on account because of the difficulty-- this is by no means Greenflower Zone! (In fact, the difficulty is more like Egg Rock Zone on platforming steroids) Most of the level, if you mess up while platforming it means you die more often than not. Some route clarification might help in a few places, especially when you force the player to go under water. They may be skeptical to go at first because most of the water in this level hurts you.

Sure, the level is somewhat bland in texture choices, but I can give that a pass, because for the most part, you're not really going to notice it too much, because you're focusing on other things, like staying alive, and avoiding the hundreds of enemies that litter the level, and other things.

Well, regarding this level. On my computer at least it is completely unplayable. On low end of all things. With the drops in frame rate I spent about 4-5 minutes trying to get past the first 3 falling platforms because my jump button would only respond half the time, not to mention how it was half guess work whether I would make the jump or not due to the FPS. (only to find there were another two after that, much to my dismay.)

After using noclip to make my way through the long and lag filled outdoors section, I found that this problem had not been remedied once inside the caves. Where the rather large ice platforms that shouldn't have been much of a problem had brought me to a game over.

I suspect that most of the complaints about this level are from lag related issues, but, I for one hardly got to experience the level as a result and it seems outright unfair to criticize you on the level design because of it. In fact, the only two criticisms I can make is to try and tone down on whatever is making the lag even in low end and whether it really is necessary to have to large lumps of text cover up the screen every time I die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back