• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sprite creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical v5.2

Certified: Socially Awkward
Hi, I'm Critical v5.2, many of you won't know me as I'm a new SRB2er. Well, not really. I started SRB2 back in '09 and stopped playing in '13. I quit playing to concentrate on school-related work. I can't remember my username back then, but it's not important now.

How do I create sprites?

I'm unsure as to which programmes I should/can use. I'm completely clueless with regards to map and sprite creation, and I'd like to start. I know there's the DooM engine that I can use for map creation (correct me on that if I'm wrong), but I'd like to turn a new leaf and start basic.

If anyone could suggest to me any programmes I could possibly use to create sprites and basic character .WAD files, that would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

-P.S, if anyone could also suggest to me how I can convert my creations to .WAD files, that would be great, thanks.

Yeah, you should have specified map editor for the google search haha. Anyway here you go. http://slade.mancubus.net/. SLADE is mostly used for sprites and scripts in the SRB2 world, but it can be used for a map editor. For a map editor specifically for SRB2 check out Zone builder. Zone Builder is much better at maps for SRB2 than SLADE is.

Also check the SLADE wiki page out. There are some settings that you have to check (or uncheck I forgot since I haven't used it in a while) to make the it work for SRB2.

You can use pretty much any image editor you want for making the sprites, from MS Paint to GIMP to graphicsgale. Just note that SRB2 has 256 colors for the game, so here is a picture of the 256 colors.
Palette.png

Last edited:
Sprites are typically made with any kind of art program that lets you place pixels individually. Most art programs work, but ones that people typically use are Paint.NET, GraphicsGale, Aseprite, and there's even a big crowd that use MS Paint. Basically, anything that lets you place individual pixels accurately works; if it blurs them then it's usually not a good choice.

Mapping is done with Zone Builder, a modified version of Doom Builder used to make it work better with SRB2. There's also a tutorial here for the editor itself, a level design index with anything you could possibly use.

EDIT: Dang, beaten to the punch; don't take too long writing your posts! :p

I don't actually have MS Paint on my PC, regardless whether it's a Microsoft computer or not :p. I do use Paint.NET, but it blurs the pixels. So next time I try, I'm going to use GraphicsGale.
In regards to map design, I haven't attempted anything yet. As for the present, I don't plan on making any major moves to test my graphic producing skills yet, however I will do in the future. Thanks, Salt!

I don't actually have MS Paint on my PC, regardless whether it's a Microsoft computer or not :p. I do use Paint.NET, but it blurs the pixels. So next time I try, I'm going to use GraphicsGale.
In regards to map design, I haven't attempted anything yet. As for the present, I don't plan on making any major moves to test my graphic producing skills yet, however I will do in the future. Thanks, Salt!

Paint.NET has AntiAliasing (which blurs the pixels) enabled for everything you use by default. You can either choose not to have AntiAliasing at all by using the pencil tool, or you can click this little icon here around the top of the screen when you use a tool that usually blurs your work to enable / disable AntiAliasing:

707608paintnet.png

Yeah, it's in French but the drawing circled in red should be identical.

For sprites, I personally recommend using pixel editors -- in other words, an art program specialized for making game sprites. What's helpful about pixel editors over traditional art programs is that they give you more accessible options for dealing with palettes, animations, and tiling. I use Pyxel Edit, but I've also heard that Aseprite is solid.

Last edited:
Paint.NET has AntiAliasing (which blurs the pixels) enabled for everything you use by default. You can either choose not to have AntiAliasing at all by using the pencil tool, or you can click this little icon here around the top of the screen when you use a tool that usually blurs your work to enable / disable AntiAliasing:

707608paintnet.png

Yeah, it's in French but the drawing circled in red should be identical

I'll be sure to toggle that and see how far I can get from there. Thanks, Lat!

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

For sprites, I personally recommend using pixel editors -- in other words, an art program specialized for making game sprites. What's helpful about pixel editors over traditional art programs is that they give you more accessible options for dealing with palettes, animations, and tiling. I use Pyxel Edit, but I've also heard that Aseprite is solid.

Thanks, Cobalt! I'll be sure to check them out and see if they can be of any help.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

You can always use MS Paint if you don't have Aseprite or Paint.net

I actually don't have MS Paint, for some reason. I have a Microsoft computer, yet I don't own it :p. But thanks regardless, Elvin!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back