Partially submerged sprites not completely colored from underwater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime 2.0

When viewing a sprite that is partially submerged from the inside of a colormap, the part of the sprite that is not submerged will not be affected by the colormap.

srb2colormap.png

Do I see that correctly that the non-submerged ring above the partially submerged one is affected by the colormap? If so, this should be quite easy to fix.

Last edited:
I believe I also see a small portion of Sonic's top spike still blue, but that may just be my eyes being stupid in the morning.

That's intentional. Use fog, not colormaps.

Edit: Actually, if it was working like how I thought, the walls out of the water wouldn't be green either... Hmm..

Last edited:
Okay, unless something's wrong with my sight, I see the usually white-colored HUD text purple, but that's probably intentional.

Last edited:
Edit: Actually, if it was working like how I thought, the walls out of the water wouldn't be green either... Hmm..

IIRC, the walls outside of the water are being re-colored because they are seen through the water's surface. The walls aren't colormapped, they're only viewed through a transparent surface which is colormapped.

But you knew that?

So, I think this might be somewhat relevant to this report.
colormapwhat.png

Now THAT is intentional. Think of colormaps as lighting. If you want the simulation of something in the air coloring anything you see like a mist, then you need to use Fog.

For example, stand under the red alarm in THZ2. Only the area you are in is red, not everything you see.
There might be some confusion because the colored ERZ gravity switches actually use fog, not colormaps, to produce their effect.

For example, stand under the red alarm in THZ2. Only the area you are in is red, not everything you see.
There might be some confusion because the colored ERZ gravity switches actually use fog, not colormaps, to produce their effect.

Yeah, I see where you're going with this. I just thought that when you said it was intentional that the colormap wasn't entirely affecting something above it, you might have been referring to what was supposed to happen when viewing out of it through the side... or that the intention may be to have looking through the top and/or bottom work the same way as looking out through the side, though I think doing that wouldn't be the best idea given how it is used for water in the official levels.

The official levels should probably switch to using fog, IMO, although I think the colormap is a faster effect.

The official levels should probably switch to using fog, IMO, although I think the colormap is a faster effect.

Which means Mystic would never, ever let the switch to fog happen, on account of the already troubling performance issues in DSZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back