Tripel the fox

Community GU GU GUUUUU~
Celebrating the 28th anniversary of Kirby's Dreamland, Kirby returns to SRB2 with new sprites and revamped gameplay!
attachment.php

Below is an explanation of Kirby's gameplay, though if you don't feel like reading this description, there's also an in game tutorial that replaces the default when you add Kirby!

Basic abilities
Kirby isn't the fastest around, but his versatility more than makes up for it!
By pressing jump mid-air, he can float around. Unlike Tails, simply holding the button will allow him to ascend, though Kirby's flight doesn't last as long. This can even be done from falling or springing!
Kirby's trademark inhale is used by pressing spin. Objects like badniks, monitors, and even some environmental objects like gargoyles can be sucked up. Kirby can spit any inhaled object as a projectile.
Kirby can also duck by pressing custom 2. While ducking, he can slide by pressing jump.

Copy abilities
Kirby, of course, also comes with his iconic copy ability! When Kirby inhales something, pressing custom 2 will allow him to swallow it and copy its ability, replacing his inhale!
There's 14 abilities in total, with a wide variety of uses ranging from speed, platforming, or combat. Copy abilities can also be discarded by pressing toss flag.
  • Fireball
    Shoot off in a fiery blaze, bouncing off of enemies!
  • Ice
    Freeze enemies with icy breath and kick them as projectiles!
  • Stone
    Fall to the ground with a forceful thud, clearing enemies around you as an invulnerable stone!
  • Bomb
    Explode anything that blocks your path!
  • Spark
    An electrical hazard nobody would dare to get close to!
  • Needle
    So prickly you can stick to walls and ceilings!
  • Tornado
    Twirl around, gaining height and keeping pace! You can even chain it into floating!
  • Wheel
    Roll around at the speed of sound, breaking bustable walls in your path!
  • Ball
    Bounce around to gain height as you hold jump!
  • Sword
    Slice straight through anything in your path!
  • Hammer
    Crush your enemies! And bustable walls! And floors! And spikes!
  • Mike
    Sing to your hearts content! Just, maybe not to others' content...
  • Sleep
    Nothing better than a good night's sleep! Though, you do get left a bit vulnerable...
  • UFO
    Fly around higher than floating can go, with a laser projectile!
  • ???
    A secret ability acquired by collecting all 7 chaos emeralds, 50 rings, jumping, and pressing spin while holding toss flag...
  • ???
    There may be other copy abilities hidden somewhere... Maybe try copying some other characters on the message board?

Kirby also has SRB2 Battle support! Pay 30 rings to spin the ability roulette and get a chance at a powerful copy ability!

Credits
Tripel: Programming
Maximus, KíbitoÁyame, HattyBoyo, Bendy: Sprites
Hydro, Yacker, Vinnis: Beta testing

To make skins or objects copyable by adding them to Kirby's ability table, use the following script:
Code:
if not(kirbyabilitytable)
    rawset(_G, "kirbyabilitytable", {})
end
kirbyabilitytable[MT_EXAMPLEOBJECT] = 1    // Makes MT_EXAMPLEOBJECT give fireball
kirbyabilitytable["exampleskin"] = 2    // Makes the skin "exampleskin" give ice

For custom abilities:
To add a custom Kirby ability, use K_AddAbility(abilityfunction, secret, iconname)
abilityfunction is the function used for the ability. This is called every frame for the actual functionality of the ability, but it has a few other uses as well, which I'll get into later.
secret is wether or not this ability is a secret ability. The only real gameplay purpose of this is so that it has a ((1/256)/number of secret abilities) chance of appearing when the ability roulette appears.
iconname is a 7 character long name for the ability icon and name graphics. The ability icon graphic should be named I + iconname, and the name graphic N + iconname.
This will return a number for you to use in kirbyabilitytable, though keep in mind this function wont return a negative value for secret abilities!

Ability function:
The ability function should have the following arguments:
(checkflags, destroy, late, player)
If checkflags is true, the function is being called to check for ability flags. The function should immedietly return ability flags.
If destroy is true, then the ability is being discarded or otherwise lost. If you spawn an object for Kirby to hold, or mess with his flags, this is where you should restore them! Immedietly return after you're done cleaning up.
If late is true, then the function is being called at the end of Kirby's ThinkFrame hook. Once again, its a good idea to return after you do whatever you need to at this point, so normal and late functionality remain separate.
If none of the above are true, then the ability should run its normal functionality.
player is simply the player_t thats using the ability.

Code:
Ability flags:
AF_NOFLOAT        Disable Kirby's ability to float
AF_NODUCK        Disable Kirby's ability to duck
AF_NOJUMP        Disable Kirby's ability to jump
AF_NOSWIM        Disable Kirby's ability to swim
AF_NODROP        Disable dropping the ability with toss flag
AF_NOLOSE        Disable dropping the ability from taking damage or dying
AF_ALLOWSUCK        Allow Kirby to inhale like normal Kirby (this will not allow him to copy abilities)
AF_WALKSWIM        Use walking frames for swimming, even without something inhaled

Custom feet sprites:
If you create custom frames for Kirby, you probably want his feet to change color like normal
To do this, call K_AddCustomFeet(kirbysprite, feetsprite)
kirbysprite is the sprite Kirby is using, and feetsprite is the sprite the feet should use when Kirby uses this sprite.
If you use a sprite2 for your ability instead of a normal sprite, then make Kirby's feet the super version and he'll automatically use them.
v1.1
  • Custom abilities are now possible, as well as custom feet sprites! Details added to main post.
  • Gold monitors are no longer inhalable.
  • Kirby will now be awarded the contents of monitors after swallowing them after inhaling them, if it has no ability tied to it.
  • Fixed Lua error when inhaling a monitor on a sloped surface that caused any future spawned objects to break, caused by a typo on a single line.
  • Kirby can no longer duck in THZ goop.
  • Kirby can no longer aim any projectiles vertically.
  • Inhaled players (and objects) will no longer fall through the floor when Kirby dies.
  • Players being inhaled will no longer fall through the floor when Kirby gets hurt and drops them.
  • Stars and spat players now move at a speed of 60 fracunits, down from 80.
  • Fixed being able to spit when in pain.
  • Fixed HUD breaking when switching renderers during gameplay
  • All audio is now compressed, resulting in a much smaller file size. Music in particular has been heavily compressed.
  • NES sound effects have been rebalanced, and should hopefully sound better.
  • Fireball can now break bustable walls.
  • Fireball now recoils when hitting a solid wall.
  • Fixed bug with ice not destroying parts of multi-object badniks, along with a potential crash that can be caused by this.
  • Fixed being able to use stone in minecarts, ropes, and RVZ stones.
  • Kirby is now forced to unstone when using springs.
  • Fixed Kirby being unable to jump or inhale after entering a dust devil while using stone.
  • Fixed Kirby being immune to death pits with stone.
  • Bomb sparks no longer linger after exploding.
  • Bomb can now destroy bustable walls.
  • Tornado can now ascend by pressing jump or spin, instead of only spin.
  • Fixed wheel breaking walls too early.
  • Eggman TVs now give sleep instead of nothing.
  • Crawla Commanders now give UFO instead of sleep.
  • Canarivores now give ice instead of nothing.
  • Banpyuras now gives ball instead of tornado.
  • Added special interation with Silver

Supporters / CoAuthors

Attachments

• CopyAbilities.png
    CopyAbilities.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 147,383
  • stone.gif
    stone.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 8,403
  • float.gif
    float.gif
    2.6 MB · Views: 5,606
  • wheel.gif
    wheel.gif
    5.3 MB · Views: 5,101
  • sword.gif
    sword.gif
    4.3 MB · Views: 4,964
  • bomb.gif
    bomb.gif
    7.4 MB · Views: 4,746
  • VCL_Kirby-v1.1.pk3
    7.4 MB · Views: 27,328
Last edited by a moderator:
Any Kirby is a good Kirby.

Only problem with this is if you swallow a monitor ( like the 1-up monitor i just swallowed ingame ) it doesn't give you what's in it.

I love Kirby!
Also is it possible for other wads to add compatibility to themselves so Kirby can eat them?

Alright, after testing kirby out, all I can say is that hes glorious.
You guys got the dreamland feel for the sprites right,
And the copy abilities are just, extraordinary.

Also, its really fun to play with the wheel-

There's a lot of effort put into this and it really shows.

I never had as much fun with any other character released on the messageboard quite like I did with Kirby. I had a lot of fun experimenting with the abilities and seeing what does what. What surprised me the most is how you were able to translate the character's controls into a 3D space from their original game. The flight could use a bit of work I feel (Ie. Make flight tappable similar to Vanilla Tails, instead of holding the button to fly higher), but that's my only complaint with it so far.
Honestly, makes me feel I was playing an official Kirby spin-off title.

Thank you for bringing back so many fond memories with this.

That sms copy ability is some of the most fun I've ever had breaking SRB2's level design. Absolute adrenaline rush. Seriously, it's badass.

Absolutely Amazing. I love everything small thing about this. Though as a Side note. It would have been a really cool easter egg if when you became super as sword hammer ice or fire you could become their ultra version from return to dreamland.(Even though the character is clearly based off just dreamland)

I love this so much. The color changing feet is a plus, and ball and wheel are crazy fun. Also, the Yoshi easter egg is hilarious.

Small bug report: Although this may be intentional, you can hilariously swallow Fang at the beginning of his fight and the level instantly ends.
EDIT: On top of this, crouching while on top of goop will allow you to infinitely bounce off of it until you release the button.

Last edited:
Glorious, absolutely beautiful. One of the best character mods I've seen in a while.

Just uhh.. when you try to inhale a TNT barrel, some.. strange things happen.

^ Scratch that, it was a specific part in Arid Canyon Zone Act 2,
P5Fr7Eg.png

Last edited:
Any Kirby is a good Kirby.

Only problem with this is if you swallow a monitor ( like the 1-up monitor i just swallowed ingame ) it doesn't give you what's in it.
Same thing with spitting it at walls, I suppose you have to break monitors with slide or a star.

Anyway, I just want to hear the float sound effect repeatedly every time you tab the jump button, assuming tapping the jump button will also let you float like the kirby games.

The star Kirby spits out also doesn't break bustable walls ._. I mean I thought it would but I guess not.
I find it funny how this is the first game Kirby can move while inhaling.
Also he's smaller than a crawla lol
suggestion: maybe add a small autoaim to kirby's spit out star move like fang's popgun
bomb of all things cant break bustable walls, maybe it can bust floors though
i'd have fireball's animation end sooner if you're not holding it. if you're holding it it lasts as long as it does now. if you dont want that that's fine
i dont know if kirby can use shield abilities.
Stone sliding into a bustable wall should break said wall (insert gif of a spring flying me into a wall but it not breaking)
also i think if you try to use stone on a spring it just doesnt work, i'd have it like amy's hammer on spring maybe. basically stone keeps going down while the spring keeps trying to push you up.
I like how kirby can blow himself up with Bomb
And how you get Bomb from Armageddon Shield, a shield that just kills everything around you, but you get Mike from Detons, despite Detons being literal bombs
I like how kirby's death is like his games
I dunno why the first eggman boss drops stars, when you can eat his lasers AND get fireball from it (presuming laser copy ability isnt in the game) and even without fireball you can just spit the lasers back at him. but the techno hill boss you just eat dangerous chemicals and spit it back at him
I expected midair hammer to be an overhead swing (like amy's) but i'm perfectly fine with the sideways one. Expected does NOT mean "want".
I expected Kirby's hammer to work like Amy's on springs.
Expected crushtaceans to give needle instead of hammer, but hammer works since they have crush in their name.
Expected eggman's electric laser wave attack in Deep Sea Zone to give you spark since it seems to be electric. Also expected the torpedo missiles to give you bomb since they are bombs, though I guess it SHOULD give you missile, but missile isn't in this mod so bomb would be appropriate

And if you are going to implement kirby hats, make them a seperate object like Tails' tails, so that you have to do way less work. Im not asking you to do kirby hats just saying in case

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back