Which level do you like/hate the most in SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galefox

Nomad of the sky
I was talking to a friend a couple of days ago about which level they liked the most and hated the most in Sonic 3, so this got me wondering what levels people liked and hated.

And please feel free to post why you like / hate the level you do the most.

EDIT: What I meant to ask was for single player levels. Sorry if that wasn't very clear, but you could always just include your favorite / least favorite of others in your posts, but please try not to clump all the genres together. It's confusing.

For me, I'm undecided in my favorite SRB2 level. The desert level, I guess, because as Tails it's nice and spacious, but I know which level I HATE the most! Deep Sea Zone! I hate water in Sonic.

Okay let me rephrase: I don't hate water in Sonic, I hate water that floods the level and conspires to drown you at every opportunity! And for some reason I don't think you have as much breath as you did on Sonic 3, I haven't even beaten the level in Single player, I went into co-op multiplayer to play other levels, the volcano level is annoying, but the water level is worse. That must be the hardest level in the entire game, and nothing sucks more than getting lost under water.

And by the way, I'm playing AS TAILS! I can't beat a water level as Tails. ._.; I feel sorry for the people trying to play as Sonic, I wouldn't have any clue what to do as Sonic. I get lost in there already...

Last edited:
Like: Techno Hill Zone 2
Why: I like the factory-ish theme. (Btw, when I was new to SRB2, that was the most difficult level in my opinion. I kept falling into the slime. :D)

HATE:
INFERNAL CAVERN ZONE.
Why:
1) You keep falling in the lava.
2) Those flame sprayer things are annoying.
3) Rings are somewhat hard to get.

Why does everybody suck so abysmally at water levels? DSZ is really easy, you just have to stop for air every 30 seconds, which is everything but hard.

The level I like the most is obviously Egg Rock Zone Act 2, but ACZ1 comes close because of its gorgeous visuals and its varied gameplay. The level I like the least is THZ1, because it's nothing more than an ugly version of GFZ with the most pointless enemy I've ever seen: A red Crawla. CEZ is also not very good, but it's at least enjoyable in some parts.

Spring Hill Zone is my most-favorite SRB2 level, because I like its visuals and I prefer the NiGHTS gameplay over the regular, Sonic-styled gameplay. It has good replay value, as it's fun enough to play several times over and it has a good amount of things to explore and look into.
Greenflower Zone is my least-favorite, because it totally lacks gameplay, and even for a tutorial stage, it's far too dull. Green Hill Zone wasn't totally content-less, so I don't see why Greenflower Zone is. Lacks any sort of interesting gameplay and isn't fun enough to replay.

Well, I can't decide so I'll just do it by the gametype

Coop:
Best: Egg Rock Zone
Why: There's so much to find! So many things I can do! So many glitches! The only downside is that it SIGSEVs a lot...
Worst: Anywhere between Techno Hill and Arid Canyon (DSZ, CEZ)
Why: Not that interesting, pretty much laggy, timeout a lot...why can't there be an interesting water level like in Sonic 3?

Match
Best: Thunder Citadel
Why: Well...I'm not really sure, but I have a good hiding place in here...I think
Worst: Infernal Cavern
Why: It's too hard to hit anyone since they usually have invincibility because of falling into lava...

Capture The Flag
Best: Twisted Terminal & Nibmus Ruins
Why: It's random, it's thrilling, you never know what is going to happen next...and I was able to score as Eggman in both of these maps too
Worst: Lime Forest
Why: It's too hard to defend the base or to get the flag, one wrong move in enemy's base and you're a sitting duck for a second because of the spring...and it's too easy to camp too! Nobody bothers going into the bounce place so...yeah

Race
Since every race is just thok thok thok, there is no reason to say anything.

Why does everybody suck so abysmally at water levels? DSZ is really easy, you just have to stop for air every 30 seconds, which is everything but hard.

It's hard if you can't find an air bubble and the game makes you complete a puzzle that's hard enough without water, and only serves to slow you down to make drowning more likely. -_-

I think people suck at water levels because you can't breathe underwater forever and people freak out if air bubbles aren't scattered around in plenty, at least, I do. I freak out in water because you just don't get enough breath. The music is nice though...

This is directed at everyone but can you pleae not use initials and just type the word? Not trying to be rude but I don't recognize the initials and it makes it easier...

There are plenty air bubbles all around. I don't know why you didn't manage to find any, but I never have problems. I also can't recall any "puzzles" that take place underwater. Actually, I can't recall any "puzzles" at all, or even any hard ones. There is no underwater section that requires you to stop more than twice for air, and there is always an easy-to-find air bubble nearby. I never drown in Deep Sea Zone.

I've been playing a lot of SRB2 recently, trying to get all the emeralds as all the characters. I've made a lot of progress with Sonic, and I've just arrived at Egg Rock Zone.

I just want to reiterate how awesome Egg Rock Zone is. Rather than tell you what exactly is awesome about it (I'm sure you all know why), lemme give you one segment that sticks in my mind.

Sonic has to run through those crushers at the part in ERZ1 where the paths split. There's absolutely no room for error, and yet if you take every turn correctly, you're guaranteed success every time. The part that gets me is that long, rising hallway at the end. If you're perfectly aligned and are always at top speed, you'll get every one of those upward-angled rings, every time. And that can only happen if those rings are in the exact places they are. That sort of impressive item placement (and the thorough testing that had to be performed to make sure that item placement was correct) just goes to illustrate how much love went into developing Egg Rock Zone. It's an example all aspiring video game designers should note. ERZ is a hard, demanding mistress, but by god, she is beautiful and lovely.

As for least favorite, Castle Eggman Zone, Act 2. It's not bad, per se, but it's just kinda bland. The gameplay essentially boils down to platforming and simple hazard avoidance. Also, the textures tend to blend together badly in some segments, making things needlessly complicated. I think Mystic alluded to blushing up that particular level in a previous topic. It could definitely use that.

Last edited:
There are plenty air bubbles all around. I don't know why you didn't manage to find any, but I never have problems. I also can't recall any "puzzles" that take place underwater. Actually, I can't recall any "puzzles" at all, or even any hard ones. There is no underwater section that requires you to stop more than twice for air, and there is always an easy-to-find air bubble nearby. I never drown in Deep Sea Zone.

One puzzle that comes to mind is, do you remember where there is a green snake with a red eye that's actually a button?

If you press the eye, there are two routes from there: There's one I took the first four times because the second one spelled suicide to me (getting to that) where you're in a room woth those winged Espeon statue things that you can move around, there's these crushers off to a side and if you place a statue under them they don't fall all the way, which is pointless since it still kills you when you walk under it, but there are two of them that extent the long hallway and there's no way I saw to avoid it, there's also some springs that are, of course, useless.

The second way leads deep under water, and if there's one thing to me that's worse in Sonic than giving up my high routes for lower ones, it's plunging into the thing I've worked the entire level and a half to avoid, but I took it, thinking MAYBE I could pick out some air bubbles, and maybe if I ran through it like a maniac it would all be over soon enough like Hydrocity, well, that plan flopped when I saw MORE crushers that made you stand in the center, which had no air bubbles and was lower than the ground so spindashing failed (I'm Tails, so I can't thok) and I keep running out of air.

I've tried to keep my shield but those stupid fish always take it. >_< See what I mean by "Ridiculous puzzles" now?

I hated Hydrocoty badly enough, mostly because the first time I played I either drowned 589560326 times or died on the wall of death, but at least Hydrocoty was 2-D, that means only one way to go and you don't get lost as easily. A 3'D Sonic water level simply needs more air, since there are too many directions to go in and not enough time to figure out which way isn't suicidal.

One puzzle that comes to mind is, do you remember where there is a green snake with a red eye that's actually a button?

If you press the eye, there are two routes from there: There's one I took the first four times because the second one spelled suicide to me (getting to that) where you're in a room woth those winged Espeon statue things that you can move around, there's these crushers off to a side and if you place a statue under them they don't fall all the way, which is pointless since it still kills you when you walk under it, but there are two of them that extent the long hallway and there's no way I saw to avoid it, there's also some springs that are, of course, useless.
This is not a route. It's a hidden path leading to a secret, but it will not get you to the exit. You don't have to press that button at all, simply jump into the water before you.

The second way leads deep under water, and if there's one thing to me that's worse in Sonic than giving up my high routes for lower ones, it's plunging into the thing I've worked the entire level and a half to avoid, but I took it, thinking MAYBE I could pick out some air bubbles, and maybe if I ran through it like a maniac it would all be over soon enough like Hydrocity, well, that plan flopped when I saw MORE crushers that made you stand in the center, which had no air bubbles and was lower than the ground so spindashing failed (I'm Tails, so I can't thok) and I keep running out of air.
See that platforms with the speed shoes to your left? There is a bubble patch over there that gives you plenty of time to get to the lower floor. You could also just fly to skip that bubble patch and take the one below.

I've tried to keep my shield but those stupid fish always take it. >_< See what I mean by "Ridiculous puzzles" now?
That's not a puzzle. Also, you can avoid those fishes by simply not coming too near to them. They only attack if you're really close.

I can't help but note that you're really, really bad at this game.

This is not a route. It's a hidden path leading to a secret, but it will not get you to the exit. You don't have to press that button at all, simply jump into the water before you.

See that platforms with the speed shoes to your left? There is a bubble patch over there that gives you plenty of time to get to the lower floor. You could also just fly to skip that bubble patch and take the one below.

That's not a puzzle. Also, you can avoid those fishes by simply not coming too near to them. They only attack if you're really close.

I can't help but note that you're really, really bad at this game.

I'm really, really bad at water levels, and I like to take my time in an adventure game.

Like I mentioned above, water in Sonic = suicide, for me at least, I wish I got a chance to skip a zone all together so I can get to the next one which happens to be one I like.

It's kind of hard to fly over a puzzle that has the ceiling drop on you, and no I didn't see that, probably because I've always tried running through the stupid water, but I'll look the next time I feel like doing that dumb level again. I just played it last night and I'm fed up with it for now, I might play 5 different games over the course of the week to mentally prepare myself for it though.

I hate it that much. This game really needs a walkthrough. >.> Too bad all the projects died in '05.

Deep Sea Zone annoys me too, but IMO, it's a good kind of annoyance. It very realistically captures the original feel of the "annoying" acts in the official games, like Labyrinth Zone from STH1.

It's kind of hard to fly over a puzzle that has the ceiling drop on you, and no I didn't see that, probably because I've always tried running through the stupid water, but I'll look the next time I feel like doing that dumb level again. I just played it last night and I'm fed up with it for now, I might play 5 different games over the course of the week to mentally prepare myself for it though.
The ceiling doesn't drop on you at that point. If you mean the room after that, that's really easy. Just go from safe spot to safe spot, every second one has a bubble patch.

This game really needs a walkthrough.
Have you never heard of the SRB2 Wiki?

The ceiling doesn't drop on you at that point. If you mean the room after that, that's really easy. Just go from safe spot to safe spot, every second one has a bubble patch.

Have you never heard of the SRB2 Wiki?

I was under the impression that was outdated, but I've never looked there for a walkthrough, usually I only look for easy, non-code ways to edit the sprites and abilities.

I'm not sure what I mean, really, the level confuses me, but I will try that eventually.

Deep Sea Zone annoys me too, but IMO, it's a good kind of annoyance. It very realistically captures the original feel of the "annoying" acts in the official games, like Labyrinth Zone from STH1.

I guess that's an opinion thing, I always hated Sonic 1, and Aquatic Ruin in Sonic 2. IMO water is only fun in games that only use it's physics to make different gameplay, not when it's used as a hazard to drown you.

Last edited:
My Favorite level would be either Aerial Garden or Desolated Twilight.
I like Aerial Garden Because It's Basically a Temple and It can be a real Challenge sometimes even though Its old and I like Desolated Twilight because... I love the Night and I love this level's Design (You can get some epic Death Zones here (In Match)).

My least Favorite level would be.. Um Icicle Falls... Lets just say I keep getting owned when I Swim.

well, that plan flopped when I saw MORE crushers that made you stand in the center, which had no air bubbles and was lower than the ground so spindashing failed (I'm Tails, so I can't thok) and I keep running out of air.

Pssst... at one point in that area you can fly UP as Tails and walk above the crushers!

Well, I've played the Eggrock Zone more than I dare think about, because it's fantastic, great fun and it's still a challenge.

Although, while Arid Canyon is a close second, I also got a lot of fun out of Deep Sea and Red Volcano. (In fact, Deep Sea kept me busy for a long time, when I found the secret Knuckles only path in act 2, a few months after this version was released. I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least.)

Although, I don't like Techno Hill 1 very much, it's a bit bland and empty. It works, and the lack of difficulty is justifiable because it's so early in the game, but there's just a few uninteresting parts of the level.

Pssst... at one point in that area you can fly UP as Tails and walk above the crushers!
Oh wow, I never noticed that. I didn't except to find something after playing this level for several months, but you just proved me wrong. But there should be definitely something better hidden up there. Right now it's pretty much useless.

Well, I guess Red Volcano is pretty fun. Challenging, but in a good way. There are a few levels that I hate like Deep Sea Zone. It took me forever to get past that because I kept dying. (From being underwater too long or being crushed in Act 2.) I don't necessarily love Egg Rock either. The music is awesome, but I've died countless times on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back