• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Melting Glacier zone (My first SP level.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellybones

Lawful Neutral
I've done levels before, but not single player. I wanted to wait until SRB2ME, and now that it's here, I've gotten to work. It's still pretty unfinished, and I've only got two rooms done, but I think it's enough to show some shots.

The level takes place inside a huge glacier, but the whole place seems to be melting, so expect lots of water. I'll try to make multiple paths to one area, and alternate paths to different areas, etc. It might be my first sp level, but that won't stop me from trying to make it good. :P

srb20001-17.png

The first room, pretty much unfinished. It still needs some scenery, and it'll be set.

srb20000-24.png

A room where you are knee-deep in water, more of this has been done, with the scenery already finished. All that's needed here is some rings and it's set!

Ideas, suggestions, please!

srb20002-12.png

The beginning is done. I didn't know what to do, so I just put in somewhat-interesting rock formations, and many crystals. The glowing pool looked nice to me too.

Wow.

How about having some water enemies in the pool, along with having a bit of floating ice on there? Also, how about having a good portion of the level underwater?

Fyrus said:
Wow.

How about having some water enemies in the pool,
The pool is really small, and there's already been a shark enemy in there.

along with having a bit of floating ice on there? Also, how about having a good portion of the level underwater?

Yeah, I was planning on having underwater portions, but I didn't think of floating ice. Thanks.

Is it possible that you can add Ice and when you step on it, it breaks?

I was thinking that if you step on the ice and you didn't move fast enough you fall into the water. (Longer pathway, or you don't get the special goodie?)

I haven't really got any suggestions. Maybe make it longer than you're intending to make it? It's very good.

I got another idea! You know how I said make ice that breaks and you fall into water?

How about Ice that breaks and you go deeper into the level? (Look at 1st screenshot. Say you fall and you enter that area of the level?)

How about a section where you get to the top, see the goal, but when you get to it, the floor underneath cracks and falls in on itself, forcing you to take a longer route. To keep them from just thoking, gliding, etc. over to the goal, make an invisible barrier.

PM me for other ideas, as I'm totally full of them.

Fyrus said:
How about a section where you get to the top, see the goal, but when you get to it, the floor underneath cracks and falls in on itself, forcing you to take a longer route. To keep them from just thoking, gliding, etc. over to the goal, make an invisible barrier.

PM me for other ideas, as I'm totally full of them.

That would be awesome!

I'll look at the other ideas, and see where I can put them.

EDIT: Expect this to go real slow, because SRB2DB screwed up on me and I'm getting used to workbench, which has no 3D mode, which really I use a lot. :(

on Edge said:
The keyword here is "Melting." Use some executors of some sort to make stuff melt and fall apart.

It's hard to tell in the screens, but there is dripping water. There will also be some flooded rooms, and yes, many things falling apart.

Sorry, just looking at the screens. Oh, and you should add some ankle deep water here and there, since a melting glacier would be wet, if not in the very wet ocean. The room with the steps would be very cool if you started in low water and then it followed you up the stairs. If you finish with act 1, you could make act 2 an escape level with lots of flooding.

Contrast is very important, it is essential for depth perception and it improves the visuals. I think you want to use a different flat for most of the surfaces than what you are using for the walls and the cieling. It's hard for me to say what would work best in that level, so just experiment, there are many more options than there used to be.

Also, I expect you should be able to take advantage of ice areas that try to push the player to an earlier part of the level. It's a fairly simple dynamic and can have some terrific applications.

Goodluck!

Woot, if these ideas get in, then we're going to see pretty much the 1st good 2.0 wad, unless someone makes to it before.

I don't have any ideas since they already gave it to you, but from what I see in the pics, it's a good start, so keep it up!

The long lengths of walls look very bland. Try adding small ledges, dents, etc. along walls, or rocks sticking out of them every here and there. Assuming the walls are made of ice, ice isn't pure, nor is it going to stay perfectly frozen. Add thin (Depth-wise, maybe 4 px) waterfalls along walls as well.

Combining all this, you'd have thin, melted bits of waterfall dripping down the wall, being caught by rocks, and then showering down over the rock's front and sides.

|
|
|_
|=\
|` |
|` |
|_,|_
===\
````|

I haven't posted anything new here in a bit, so I'm just gonna post two screens of what I did about two days ago.

srb20002-13.png

the ending...?

srb20003-10.png

Just when you think you're being launched to the ending, you hit the spring on the ceiling and fall into the icy waters.

The sign post has an invisible wall around it to make sure even tails can't get to it. I wasn't able to figure out cracking ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back