Sonic 1 Megamix

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEV3

There and back again~
In case some of you don't already know about this game, its a hack of Sonic 1 which included three unique characters and had some terrific gameplay. Just recently after some unnecessary drama and some pretty unpleasant situations, Tweaker and the rest of Team Megamix has decided to quit the game and move on, releasing the latest version as the final product. There are still a few bugs and it still falls quite short of what he had originally intended to accomplish but it is still by far the best 2d Sonic fangame I've played. (I may reconsider after Sonic Retro XG if complete)

For more information check his post in the topic here.

In case you are too lazy to check the currently outdated information page, here are some of the main features included.

• Each of Sonic 1's zones is replaced by a similar zone with a completely new layout, some of these have new bosses.
  • New special stages that offer alternate paths as well as the opportunity to pick up a bonus life if you are willing to risk it.
  • Sonic can lightdash to run across rings, can perform an air dash (known around here as the speed thok), and can use homing attack.
  • Mighty gets the insta-shield and can use all of the shield powerup abilities from Sonic 3. He can save and switch shields at the cost of five rings, which is really worth it in levels with elemental hazards where you may want to save your shield if you can help it.
  • Shadow gets a full double jump which can be very helpful if there are no enemies around because he also has the privilege of homing attack. For the cost of 5 rings he can burst forward at high speeds.
  • Tails and Knuckles are both included in the latest version. Tails can fly but can also cancel the flight to roll into a ball and drop downwards. He also has a tail swipe which can be used as a melee attack. Knuckles can glide and climb and has access to unique areas.
  • All characters now have the ability to roll into a ball while falling similar to Sonic's ability in Sonic Chaos GG. The S box (makes the player super, found in debug mode of Sonic 3) is also apparently unlockable if you complete the game with all seven emeralds (don't worry, Eggman has the seventh). I haven't seen it in action myself so I can't say if this is up to date.
  • You can save your game and continue it, which is handy when your savestate becomes bugged up.
  • You can choose between Sonic 1's levels and Megamix's levels, and you can also choose to implement the spike bug, speed cap, and the old control scheme. There's also sound test for some of the awesome music included.

The game is now a SEGA CD format so you will need to update your emulator and bios in order to play it.

So far I've really enjoyed this game. In the previous version my favorite character was Mighty partially because I wasn't sent flying towards the enemy as often as Sonic and also because the shield switching really came in handy in levels like Dark Fortress and Misty Maze. I'm currently trying to play through as Tails as well as abusing save states to gather all the emeralds to see how much has changed since the last version.

I'm not surprised they quit. It seems like a lot of Sonic Cult members have moved on from Sonic projects, hence it now being called X-Cult.

Yeah I was hearing they we're going to quit due to one of the members who worked on it leaked it....?

I beat all modes on a version (3.0?)

I've played earlier versions of this before, and I've seen later gameplay videos of it, so I can say honestly that this is by far the most impressive rom hack I've seen done to a videogame yet. My applause goes to Tweaker's team for doing such an awesome job on this.

After examining "Extra Mode" further, I have found that Invincibility and Speed Shoes are replaced with S monitors, and Extra Lives are rendered useless.

> Wheres the newest version I can't find it. >_<

I wonder how will it play once I get the newest version.O_O

Chaos Knux, this is a rom, just so you know.

I like this ROMS new features, however, is there anyway to turn them off? For the years I had this, I don't know how.

Ill check but first...

Does your Gens crash a lot?
All it says is Idle and a white screen and CAD(Ctrl ect)

Its a bit annoying >_<

NeoAce, where did you hear this? I've not heard any different since it was released.

Finished the game as Tails, the only real differences in level design were in Marble Zone and the first level apparently. The final fight ended after one hit though, so I was a bit disappointed with that. (I was actually hoping they'd change some of the other bosses, especially the Labyrinth boss and the Final Fight boss) I've found the upgraded sound test but I haven't figured out how to enable the S Boxes or access level select and such yet.

All in all still quite a fun hack.

Level Select uses the same code from Sonic 1.
Code:
D-pad Up, down, left, right at Press Start screen.
BTW check the link in my first post of the thread. It may prove educational to you.

The new version of Megamix makes me want a real MegaCD to play it on so bad. :D I've been playing it since 2.0 and it's really come a long way since then, I never expected it to get ported to the CD format. :) It's also great to see Tails and Knuckles added into it as well. I've always loved the scenery and music in it, the Sonic CD style Camera is great too. It's a shame they canceled it, but it's not like they didn't leave us with anything to play at all, Megamix went much farther than any rom hack I've ever seen.
Chaos Knux said:
Level Select uses the same code from Sonic 1.
Code:
D-pad Up, down, left, right at Press Start screen.
They left the level-select code in 4.0? It was removed from 3.0 last I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back