• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

WadAuthor and DoomBuilder - The Fight of the Map Editors

Which map editor do you prefer?

• WadAuthor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DoomBuilder

• DeepSea

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ST218

Straight foward, I would assume. Which map editor do you prefer-when I say that, I mean which one do you use more than others? Using WadAuthor to build everything and then running it through DoomBuilder just to allign textures counts as using WadAuthor. Using DB to build everything but running the map through WA to make an easy staircase counts as DB.

This is mainly because for a while now we've had the two editors yet we've never gotten a poll like this.

Obviously, I pick DoomBuilder. The interface is much friendlier, there's less of an emphasis on using the keyboard, it's easier to make sectors look the way you want, and inserting things is depressingly easy.

Plus it actually gets, you know, updates.

I like doombuilder. There is less problems that I have to worry about.

Wadauthor is nice and simple.. and it's linedef/sector special names don't suck. (Don't get angry at me if they have changed, because I wouldn't notice >_>)
All I use DB for is aligning textures and curving linedefs.

I use WadAuthor for general level building and DB for minor details.

And we all know that SSN is the only one rooting for DeepSea. What's so great about that thing, anyway?

I use DeePsea too, but only for adding files into wads. I used to use it for making levels, but it usually gitched out my levels. So I stuck with WadAuthor too.

Personally, I use WadAuthor, but that's more due to the fact that back when I started working on this, Doom Builder either didn't exist or wasn't popular yet, and after several years I really don't want to switch, although it might be out of my hands if I wanna make something bigger than AGZ2.

My reason is the same as Mystic's. I've used WadAuthor, and I know WadAuthor, and I simply don't feel like learning DoomBuilder. I'm sure it's powerful and great and whatever else, but I know how to use WadAuthor. :P

Yeah, Doom Builder was my first level editor, so its easier for me to use. I have tried WadAuthor, but I wasn't satisfied. And if you are worried about Doom Builder removing map headers, get XWE and modify them there.

Yeah, the up to date config (Including the one distributed in my tutoral...) has always had the version that kept map headers from being removed (though I edited my private version to only check up through MAP99, because really, who's gonna use an extended map? Not me). I started with WadAuthor, and used it for my first three maps exclusively, my next two interchangably (WA's stair feature was quite useful), and after that I used DB exclusively, once I got the hang of using it. It was a while after that that I was annoyed that there was a tutorial for WA but not DB, so I wrote one, and it took me about half a year or so to get around to putting in screenshots. It probably hasn't had much effect on the rise of Doom Builder usage, I don't think, but still, it's got fair treatment.

WadAuthor = TEH SUCK.
DoomBuilder = TEH ROCK.
DeePsea = ...I dunno...

Omega the Hedgehog said:
Absolutely not. Let's all go try something different and start making levels via XWE's editor :roll:
I second that motion!
And this one!
*dances*

Shuffle said:
Omega the Hedgehog said:
Absolutely not. Let's all go try something different and start making levels via XWE's editor :roll:
I second that motion!
And this one!
*dances*

*Shakes head*

Isn't XWE's level editor like WadAuthor?

Wadauthor is better, though.
Doom builder kinda takes too long.

Xwe's editor isn't like wadauthor's editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back