Mystic Realm v.4.5 (scr_mysticrealm.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Historic" isn't a word thrown around very often, but Mystic Realm warrants its use without question. Years in the making, with some levels that started life in the very earliest days of SRB2 modding, and whose development resulted in the creation of many mapping and SOC features that we take for granted today, MR is perhaps one of the few things around that really deserve such a title. With its last major release in 2006, with only minor changes made to it after porting to 2.0, Mystic Realm still remains wildly popular and often played to this day.

The Hall of Fame exists for those things we not only call excellent, but which can stand the test of time; and so now the official-unofficial level pack of SRB2 will rightfully take its place among them.

YES. THANK YOU. I've been saying for a while that this should be in the Hall of Fame. Even if it is somewhat basic by today's standards, its impact on the community has been huge, and in any case no one can argue that it isn't solidly designed.

Even if it is somewhat basic by today's standards, its impact on the community has been huge, and in any case no one can argue that it isn't solidly designed.
Error: too many negations.

No, seriously, I can't understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying that everybody considers Mystic Realm to be solidly designed? Because I can give you one person who would disagree: Mystic. He's said countless times that he doesn't particularly like certain parts of the stages or certain stages at all (inb4 verdant forest).

No, seriously, I can't understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying that everybody considers Mystic Realm to be solidly designed? Because I can give you one person who would disagree: Mystic. He's said countless times that he doesn't particularly like certain parts of the stages or certain stages at all (inb4 verdant forest).
Flame Rift.

And yes, that's what he's trying to say. And what he means is "solidly designed on the whole". Sure, it has bad parts, but none of those are really awful.

In that case, that means that Tortured Planet really needs a lil' bit more work to be in the HoF as well, by what your saying.

Yet... Somehow I still find Tortured Planet much more entertaining than Mystic Realm.

Why the hell are you comparing something made in the latest version of the game to something that was made over five years ago? That doesn't even make any sense.
Tortured Planet is pretty lousy to begin with some undeniable flaws, so no, a "lil' more work" just won't cut it. And what you particularly think about it doesn't matter about it because the Judges are the ones that'll be who get it moved in the long run.

Guys, this is a topic about Mystic Realm, not about the flaws in Tortured Planet. Discuss TP in its own thread.

As for Mystic Realm, I personally think it's flawed in several areas, but the bad parts of the pack (Verdant Forest, Flame Rift) aren't so bad as to ruin the rest of the pack, and the good parts are actually still fun today, IMO.

Why the hell are you comparing something made in the latest version of the game to something that was made over five years ago? That doesn't even make any sense.

Ok, you're obviously thinking I'm referring to gimmicks and stunts that just couldn't have been pulled off in the old version 1.09 or whatever it was. I'm not, but I can understand why you'd think it.

What I'm REALLY referring to is things that have no bearing whatsoever on the version of srb2, like for example, the level layout. Take Sunken Plant, for example. I thought this was gonna be an awesome level. Boy I was disappointed. The level was ridiculously confusing, it seemed to me like Mystic just took a factory, stuck it in a jar, added water, shook it around until everything was mixed up, and poured it into SRB2DB. It's really hard to figure out where you have to go, as there is all kinds of underwater passage ways with nonsensical conveyor belts leading to dead ends, or even worse, death pits. Then you have the problem of numerous skimmers above, constantly dropping bombs on you. So you're underwater, trying to stay out of a death pit, looking for an air bubble, getting caught on conveyor belts, all the time keeping a move on it to avoid the bombs from above. Finally, you get an air bubble.
*burpa BOOM!!!*
That was the sound of you taking a much sought after breath, only to have yourself pelted by numerous bombs the moment the bubble slowed you down. Then, when you're recovering, a cannon blasts you to shreds and you fall into, lo and behold, the ENORMOUS death pit beneath you. (What happened to the factory floor anyway?) Use another life to repeat process. Did I mention it's hard to find your way around?

I could go on in similar manners about Verdant Forest and Flame Rift, (Although I honestly thought the level layout in the latter was pretty clever once you get a hold of it).

I find a lot of Mystic Realm way too confusing, but more than any of this, I hate the enemy spam! And I don't mean the plain old enemy spam, I mean the enemy SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAAAAAAAAAAM!

Midnight Freeze, Sunken Plant, and Aerial Garden especially suffer from this. In Midnight Freeze, I shouldn't have to stop every 500 fracunits just to clear the 15 buzzes following me out of the air. And then in Aerial Garden, the many Jetti-Syns get annoying. I had to fly up into the air, attract all of them, go back to a safe platform, and take them all out as they came at me, and seeing how good they are at dodging, that would usually take me about 2 minutes each time. Mind you though, I'm not putting down Aerial Garden though, It's one of my favorite SRB2 levels
Kanye West said:
of ALL TIME! ALL TIME!!!
Maybe it won't be after I try it out with Sonic for the first time though... Aw what the heck, it's gonna be fun! ...Right?

AGZ's layout is really nice, and it stays fresh with new concepts in each room. I just think it would be a little more enjoyable if the Jetti-Syns were toned down a bit.

There's more bad and more good I could say about the whole mod, but I'm gonna stop right here just for good measure.

Tortured Planet is pretty lousy to begin with some undeniable flaws, so no, a "lil' more work" just won't cut it.
Tell me what some of these flaws that make it so disgustingly horrible are, because I honestly don't know. I haven't found one thing that made me really upset at it like I was upset at Mystic Realm after Verdant Forest and Sunken Plant.

And what you particularly think about it doesn't matter
Why? Is my opinion to be thrown out the window simply because you don't like it? I mean, you should know I'm not one of the 9 year olds going all ZOMG over Tyrcity and Hyper House.

It was already said that this topic isn't about Tortured Planet. And no, your opinion isn't irrelevant because it conflicts with mine -- it's because neither you or I are going to be the ones that put it in the Hall of Fame, so it doesn't matter. Take it to the appropriate thread or privately.

Mystic Realm is one of the first level packs to ever be completed for this game. The reason it's in the Hall of Fame is moreso for historical reasons -- it's a huge part of the community and even now it's generally liked and played on netgames. While the levels aged pretty badly (in terms of visuals, enemy placement, and gimmick variety), there's no denying the enormous amount of work and effort put into building this. Not only was this level pack groundbreaking at its time, but it was (and continues to be, to an extent) a model for solidly-built stages.
Even now I can still go through these stages and have a decent time. I still admire the design of some of these levels -- particularly Nitric Citadel Zone -- because of all the hidden goodies in it. I can't name a single level pack from v1.09 and below that would still appeal to me.

Wasn't there someone doing a visual overhaul of this?

Ah, yes. Mystic Realm.

One of my personal favorite mods in existence, it really disappointed me when SRB2 moved up to 2.0 and this wasn't functional anymore. I'm really happy to see that this has been ported to the new version.

After playing v4.5 myself, I've noticed that this port actually works BETTER than the previous version. It also looks nicer with the more modern enemy graphics.

And, best of all, the original was entirely preserved, with the exception of some SOCs which had to be redone for 2.0.

In that case, that means that Tortured Planet really needs a lil' bit more work to be in the HoF as well, by what your saying.

No, it needs no more work. Tortured Planet in its current state is better than Mystic Realm in its current state. The only reason anyone says otherwise is because of the massive nostalgia filters over everyone's eyes.

Mystic Realm is extremely dated visually and gameplay wise. It clearly does not belong in HoF by today's standards.

Which is what we're supposed to be judging on, quality wise. Not how good it was back in the good old days, how good it is now.

I'm disgusted.

Sorry for keep staying offtopic, but I think Tortured Planet does need a bit more work, at least at retexturing SWZ's halls which are all the same texture on ceiling/walls/floor.
Actually, I think the only time where TP's good for HoF's when it reaches its new version, with the fixes and stuff.

Mystic Realm's not even bad by today standards, as a whole. Nostalgia or not, it still possesses examples of solid platforming succeeding on its own merits without relying on a string of elaborate gimmicks. I'm actually beginning to wonder if by "today's standards" you guys really mean big and bloated.

There is no denying that Mystic Realm does have its subpar moments. However, these are merely weak platforming situations and level layouts rather than broken gimmicks and game-breaking flaws. They do not drag down the rest of the level pack and aren't that bad even when they come up.

Most of the simplicity that is cited as a gameplay issue is something that is present in some of the maps in SRB2 proper. Its also something that I would like to see get a little more appreciation. An addon doesn't need to be big and bloated to be exceptional. I would hold Mystic Realm as an example of that fact. For that reason, I'm glad to see this level pack in the Hall of Fame.

I would hold Mystic Realm as an example of that fact. For that reason, I'm glad to see this level pack in the Hall of Fame.

I'm certainly glad also, I hope no one got the impression that I didn't I really do enjoy it. I promise!

犬夜叉;699307 said:
No, it needs no more work. Tortured Planet in its current state is better than Mystic Realm in its current state. The only reason anyone says otherwise is because of the massive nostalgia filters over everyone's eyes. Mystic Realm is extremely dated visually and gameplay wise. It clearly does not belong in HoF by today's standards. Which is what we're supposed to be judging on, quality wise. Not how good it was back in the good old days, how good it is now. I'm disgusted.

You're disgusted? I'm the one who just read what essentially amounts to a juvenile close-minded rant, and from an admin no less.

Having only started playing SRB2 a 6 months or so prior to 2.0, I for one can vouch for Mystic Realm's persistence as far as quality goes. It's lacking in the modern trimmings like enemies and gimmicks and such, but I'll be damned if the pack doesn't still stand as a hell of a package with a bunch of solid and intricate stages. That's more than I can say for practically any level pack I've experienced, at least those that aren't just a zone or two.

I'm happy to see this earn a spot here. I haven't played it in a while but from what I remember, most of the levels are consistent with their quality except for Prismatic Angel. I can't stand that level, although I like the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back