This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

frozenLake

Some Crawla may be "OK" with having their precious treads removed, replacing them with "Regulation Wheels".

rVebCGT.png

This Crawla, however, goes against all regulations, driving proud with his incredibly heavy tank treads intact, allowing him to drive over Grass, Dirt, Sand, or Snow, without being impeded.

This however, comes at the cost of having rather stiff drifting. But in the end, it is totally worth it.

While the S_SKIN for this Racer gives a weight of 9, the Lua script included in the Wad sets this to a Weight of 17, which, due to the quirks of Kart's code, is was the exact amount that negates the effects of Offroad Sectors.

Also, the sounds that the Crawla makes are literally just Metal Sonic's. No Speak and Spells here.
v1: Initial Release
v1b: Hotfix to prevent error message when spectating.
v1c: Offroad Physics Fix for stages that use the friction linedef.
v1d: Fix for Ice.

Attachments

• kart0004.gif
    kart0004.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 744
  • kart0011b.png
    kart0011b.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 402
  • KCL_OffroadCrawla_v1d.pk3
    76.6 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
Something I want to note: This character was built using periwinkle as the base. But I actually ended up tweaking a single shade of green later on, so that, while it still results in the same color via periwinkle, it ends up looking good with colors such as lavender.

Unfortunately, this doesn't have a color that turns it exactly into a red crawla: you will always be lighter, darker, or oranger.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Released a quick hotfix to prevent error messages from popping up when spectating.

Unfortunately, the latest update has Broken Offroad, due to the more intense offroad sections.

If anyone knows how to fix that, send me the lua code to do so.

Last edited:
I finally managed to fix the offroad in most stages. If you see a problem with offroad physics on a stage, let me know.

Also, this comes with the format changing to PK3. Yay.

Edit: Just discovered a bug involving ice slowing you down to offroad speeds. Already fixed.

Last edited:
-- Offroad Crawla: A post-mortem --

Huh, its been a... long time since I updated this, huh? Well, I happen to look back, on this, and well...
For the last several years, Offroad Crawla has been a lie.

That isn't to say that it was always a lie, but to explain...
Way back in the day, the time that one could spend offroad, without slowing down, was based upon the skins weight. The way this was coded, meant that, an extreme weight stat, would give an infinite period of time before they slowed down. However, in 1.0.3, there was a change made, that set everyone to a fixed offroad latency of 0.5 seconds.

1.0.3 came out on Feburary 6th, of 2019.

That means, that my post on March 18th of 2019, had been a lie. Not an intentional one, as somehow, I failed to notice it in the changelog! Goes to show that we can be dumb at times. I believe that I had already implimented the anti-offroad specific code, to work around the fact that it would sometimes flip back to a weight of 9, in the code, which made me believe that the issue was only because of a linedef effect, that was used in Aurora Atoll, and other maps. Of course, I ended up working a way around that, by changing the friction of the kart, but...

It took me 4 Years, 1 Day, and 3 Months to notice.

Will I be updating this addon in the future? Perhaps. Either way, I feel guilty, that the lie about a character of weight 17 being immune to offroad effects, if it wasn't for the game capping the stats, had been perpetuated for this long. DRRR might change things back to the way they were, but... I doubt it. The quirk of an offroad character, is just as Genuine, if the weight is at 1, as it is at 17.

If I do update it, if the code doesn't change, I'm still keeping the weight the same. Its a fun balancing measure, after all, and it serves as a lesson into the history of SRB2 Kart.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back