Touhou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to double post.

Okay, so I recently came acrossed some money, and I'm seriously considering buying one and only one of these Touhou games. I need a true Touhou fanatic to answer me these two questions...

...First, what Touhou game would you recommend? I'd like the answer in terms of gameplay mostly. But, of course, the quality of visuals and music could also factor in.

...And secondly, must you switch your computer to its Japanese settings when installing/playing? I have the information needed to make the switch, so you don't need to tell me how to do that. Just tell me if it's necessary. I operate a Windows Vista (yeah...), if that helps.

Last edited:
Perfect Cherry Blossom, no question in my mind.

In order to install Touhou games from the CD, you need to reboot your system in Japanese or run the installer's setup.exe with AppLocale set to Japanese. This is not necessary to play the game, just for installation.

Also note that Touhou games "install" kinda similarly to how SRB2 does. Once installed you can copy-paste the directory and do whatever you want to it because the entire game is self-contained in the directory.

I will note that the games don't officially support Vista, so I have no idea about the compatibility. PCB was made long before Vista existed, after all. If someone with Vista could answer whether or not they run on Vista that would probably be helpful.

Perfect Cherry Blossom, no question in my mind.

In order to install Touhou games from the CD, you need to reboot your system in Japanese or run the installer's setup.exe with AppLocale set to Japanese. This is not necessary to play the game, just for installation.

I get tons of error messages if I don't run Perfect Cherry Blossom via AppLocale. >=P

Maybe we should have information on how to get the english patch and demo of PCB on the first post in this topic because we are inevitably going to be making you guys want it anyway.

If you haven't played Perfect Cherry Blossom extensively (at least once as every character), then this won't mean anything to you, but for those that have...

(Click for Replay)

Also, I managed to clear PCB. All that leaves is Kaguya (IN good), and Yuka (Lotus Land Story). Then I can start trying to 1cc some of these games. IN might be the easiest to pull off (or I may 1cc it by default just to face Kaguya), but Mystic Square is definitely the one that I want the most. This is discounting the PoFV extra... truly I think that Cirno's going to be the hardest part about that... baka can't take the final boss~

I get tons of error messages if I don't run Perfect Cherry Blossom via AppLocale. >=P
I never run PCB with AppLocale, and it works fine. If I run the non-translated EXE without it, the Japanese text doesn't display right, but the game runs fine regardless.

Well last night I finally sat down and beat Mokou. Spell practice mode is seriously overpowered, but because of it he made a few cards that basically require it in order to figure out, so I guess it works out in the end.

Replay for those that want it: http://mystic.sepwich.com/replay/th8_udMY01.rpy

I don't suggest watching this if you want to figure out the attacks on your own, because Mokou has a lot of gimmick attacks with a basic pattern to figure out. Also, hilarious fail run is hilarious fail.

Oh my god.
Nearly beat 11 on Lunatic.
Okuu then steamroll'd me.
I feel sad. XD...But other than her, I was doing pretty well.. 8D

After a few nights of hard work, I finally managed to capture this one stage 4 spell in Imperishable Night. Considering I don't have a lot of patience and prefer to use the magic team (minimal spread), I opted for an alternative strategy.

JEV3 Imperishable Night Replay

Like Mystic said, Spell Practice really is quite awesome. You can pull off some crazy stunts thanks to its interface. It was an interface that came back for TH9.5 and with such a central focus on gimmicks and unconventional gameplay, it only really made it more epic.

I saw JEV3's replay and that really is absurd.

I just beat Yukari as every shot type in PCB. Now I'm extremely tempted to try to do a no-death run if I can pull it off =P

I haven't pulled off a strategy like this since Mystic Square, when I started going behind the mirror to keep the fire on Alice. Of course, that I could do consistently, this took almost 550 tries to get right. Here's a behind-the-mirror replay of Reisen's Visual Tuning spell.

JEV3 Imperishable Night Replay 2

It helps that Reisen's sprite is so tall. On the other hand, her arms seem to stretch the hitbox out to the side quite a bit, so any time I had to go around her, I usually didn't have enough room to survive. I tried switching back and forth between focused and unfocused, but had trouble compensating for the reaction time every time I changed speed... so I opted for the one that did the most damage.

whatisthisidon'teven-
Well, two days ago, I beat 11's Extra mode without dying by EXTREME luck... and a few gallons of cola, nya~ I forgot to save the replay, so Peeesssed.

I'm currently screwing around with Danmakufu. Actually, I'm having a little too much fun with the maths incorporated in the design... but I won't be satisfied until I can successfully implement homing goddamn lasers. Because.

Decided it was better to not start a new topic with this, so I'll just post it here.

CNN reporters covered Touhou - Bad Apple (a music video which shows various Touhou characters through shadow art). Much to my lack of surprise, they had no idea what they were talking about. The woman even called Marisa creepy D:

Luckily, they didn't mention the name Touhou at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEIteQmpHE

Some funny quotes:
"This is how they made it"
"Millions of people around the world"

Last edited:
They're quite correct on the "millions of people around the world" part. The Bad Apple video spread like wildfire (because let's be serious, it's beautiful).

Oh wow. No kidding. Nico Nico alone has over 5million views on it. Last time I checked it was nowhere near as high. I retract that statement.

It was a viral video. Obviously outside of Japan it's not as prevalent but several people linked that to me that aren't Touhou fans, so that kinda implies that people interested in Japan found it somehow or other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back