This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
There needs to be a forward wind current to prevent softlock situations like this.

Sorry, I've taken an overall hiatus from map making but I'm hopefully back. I appreciate you taking the time to post issues like this on the mb as while i usually try to find complaints I see on the kartkrew discord, I can easily miss them when the server gets busy where as here, the post will always be here and readable. Whenever I get done with a few new maps, I plan to make some fixes to old maps such as the issue you have there so if there are any other issues with maps, feel free to let me know!

Version 3.5 is now out, with quality of life changes to all maps, big changes to machine labyrinth and melty manor, with aerial badlands added as a new map.

3.5b out with changes to crispy canyon and pirate island. Megalink in the main post with 3.5b because mb isnt letting me upload

I tracked down this thread just to complain about the Crispy Canyon update. It honestly feels like most of the personality has been stripped out of it and instead of being a cool place where you could charge rainbow sparks on a string of nifty red bounces it's just... well, another track. Why the bounce pads on the pyramid were removed is utterly beyond me (and that's with one of the comments in this thread talking about how great they were). The red springs to skip the right angle drops near the start of the race also don't work sometimes; I've bounced off the rope fence around them several frustrating times (although this was with Hard Sneakers enabled).

I still enjoy a large part of the track, and the music is boppin', but I do feel like its design is moving in the wrong direction.

I tracked down this thread just to complain about the Crispy Canyon update. It honestly feels like most of the personality has been stripped out of it and instead of being a cool place where you could charge rainbow sparks on a string of nifty red bounces it's just... well, another track. Why the bounce pads on the pyramid were removed is utterly beyond me (and that's with one of the comments in this thread talking about how great they were). The red springs to skip the right angle drops near the start of the race also don't work sometimes; I've bounced off the rope fence around them several frustrating times (although this was with Hard Sneakers enabled).

I still enjoy a large part of the track, and the music is boppin', but I do feel like its design is moving in the wrong direction.

Well alright, lemme explain. For one thing, I do have big changes to it in my next update which i'm holding off till I have more maps added to it. Springs will be readded, but in a much more authentic way as, while you could get rainbows before, it was at the expense of people new AND old to it entering and flying off the map because the way you are meant to go wasn't telegraphed well at all. Along with that, If you haven't noticed, red springs just remove all player interaction (you can literally bump into someone also in spring states and it wont do shit) and also make magnet bump bullshit happen WAY more often. As for the pyramid, that change was made because, while cool, it was just way too janky and as for the spring cut, changes are made in the next version to make it more seemless. Sorry that the current version isn't your cup of tea.

There's just two quick things I want to point out in regards to Plant Kingdom and Aerial Badlands.

Plant Kingdom

When reaching the first spiral section, the fifth checkpoint is exploitable. Respawning will put players underneath the bridge, and it's faster than drifting on the spiral normally. Is the FOF here not tagged as a Star Post Activator by chance?

attachment.php

Aerial Badlands

Very likely a nitpick on my part, but these two death pits don't extend past both sides of the offroad as Circuit Finish Line sectors.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nonetheless, I look forward to the next update of your pack barkley!

Attachments

• kart0008.gif
    kart0008.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,392
  • kart0003.gif
    kart0003.gif
    6.6 MB · Views: 1,629
  • kart0004.gif
    kart0004.gif
    3 MB · Views: 1,292
Last edited:
Springs will be readded, but in a much more authentic way as, while you could get rainbows before, it was at the expense of people new AND old to it entering and flying off the map because the way you are meant to go wasn't telegraphed well at all.
Readability is good, but after the first round or two on the track I don't recall having much difficulty with the springs (and then promptly went and played it in Zones and SPB Chase). However, I did play with some friends that were new to the game in general and their lack of knowledge on spring mechanics in their entirety did trip them up a fair bit.

Along with that, If you haven't noticed, red springs just remove all player interaction (you can literally bump into someone also in spring states and it wont do shit) and also make magnet bump bullshit happen WAY more often.

I mean, you bump into other players all the time on every other track, having a short section where that doesn't happen is kind of refreshing since it's also in an area where the game's controls are being used in a new way. I'm afraid I don't quite know what you're referring to with 'magnet bump', though.

As for the pyramid, that change was made because, while cool, it was just way too janky and as for the spring cut, changes are made in the next version to make it more seemless. Sorry that the current version isn't your cup of tea.

How was it janky, exactly? Once I figured out the angle to jump over, it was very consistent to hit, personally. Happy to hear about the other spring changes, though.

3.6 out with Angel Island, Starlight Zone, and MMBN Battlefield as new tracks, along with a massive slew of changes to old maps

Well, I've tried the new version of Crispy and... can't say I'm impressed with it either. Honestly, it might be even less enjoyable than the first revision. The spring shortcut at the starting right-angle drops is still not worth taking; it first requires an awkward setup, and even if you get that there's a pretty good chance you bonk the decorative poles and suffer a several-seconds-long-fall into the death plane. High risk, mediocre reward. The split just after that section being nothing but a few boost panels when it used to be this cool place to build up a rainbow is also just... deflating, really.

The uncontrollable cloud bounces in Aerial Badland are... not great. It really sucks seeing that you're going to die, and then just have to watch yourself inadvertently drift to said death for the next five seconds because your angle was slightly off or you got bonked by another player. I was willing to forgive it on this course for the sake of it being unique and somewhat thematic...

...until you went and added this to Machine Labyrinth as well. Like, I get you don't seem to like spring interactions (or the lack thereof), but this very much feels like a "Cut off your nose to spite your face" scenario. Maybe springs don't have the interaction you're looking for, but the way you had implemented them was fun, which is the interaction players are looking for. Every time I've mentioned the old versions in a server, the response is "I preferred the old version as well". Maybe it's just Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease here, but I also haven't had someone come to defend the changes, either.

And don't get me wrong, I like a lot of your tracks, if I didn't I wouldn't be making a stink here, nor would I race on them for several cumulative hours practicing SPB chases and Wipezones. The Blizzard Peaks redesign was a great one, for example. These ones, though, might need a second look.

3.7 out with Ice Cap Zone being added to the pack alongside changes to Starlight to prevent anymore spb shenanigans. Please sends me any gifs of issues/nitpicks you have with tracks, I wont guarantee I will address every nitpick, but if there are big problems I will try my best to hit them as hard as I can.

Since this update version has been out for a while, I wasn't sure if you were already aware of this. But in case you weren't until now...

Whatever you named the ice flats for Ice Cap replaced the vanilla ice flats. So all of the ice maps have the wrong ice color now.

kart0008.png

kart0009.png

kart0010.png

Rush Adventure tracks are great! Although Haunted Ship feels a bit empty. I mean... I would love to see more stuff added like the ship that shoots cannonballs or those anchors. Not that you should change the whole map design but maybe add more references since it feels a bit flat to me. Other than that, great work!

I love the sense of speed you get from both Ice Cap and Lava Reef. Great work on that! Also a little late to the party but Sunshine Coast is also very fun.

The pack is great, but I'm disappointed the tracks can't be done in Record Attack, I don't even know why, but this pack apparently has complex addons?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back