This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Uhm what is happening?

So if pressing tossflag just removes your shield, this seems like a really big deal something that will effect gameplay and stuff.
I dont understand why this is happening.
pls fix

Edit: Nevermind, this bug doesn't happen, I broke something. I fixed it now

Attachments

• srb20467.gif
    6.5 MB · Views: 293
Last edited:
So i'm gonna put out a suggestion. Have Tails sentries cost more rings with every new sentry.
If mo.player.sentry.count < 1 actionrings = 10
if mo.player.sentry.count > 1 and mo.playersentry.count < 2 actionrings = 12
if mo.player.sentry.count > 2 actionrings = 14

or something, idk

For an actual buff, perhaps the charge time for Tails' buzzes to attack would be faster to make attacking easier.

Tails doesn't seem to be strong enough to warrant any price nerfs atm. I also prefer not to change price values mid-ability if I can help it, as it helps keep the character's "ruleset" as easy to understand as possible if the price remains constant at all times.

I am *thinking* of Tails being buffed in the future, but I don't exactly know what way you would do that or whatever. Anyway, i've been SNOOPING *as usual* in your mod and have sucessfully(?) made some... changes. Multiglide allows Knuckles to glide out of dig, he can't without it (DIG, not Rock Blast), DIG costs 6 rings now, and puts him in JUMP state instead of FALL, and thrusts him 9 FRACUNITS (barely higher than Knuckles jump height.)
Without the multiglide wad he cant do anything out of Dig+Tossflag/WaitForTimer

Stuffs aside uh. I kinda wanted to see how Egg Robo Tag would work if running into people didn't tag them, and if Laser wasn't a shitty move. But I don't know how to do that either.

Also the charge for Metal Sonic is weird, you need 8 rings to initiate the charge. But you only lose 8 rings when you do the energy blast, which I guess makes sense for the current situation, but I've made Dash Burst now cost 0 rings, since the ring drain is enough tbh and it's not as useful as the energy blast imo, I think that makes it a better situational tool. But that on its own might not really be much, but I think Metal Sonic with the Comet Dash (Fuck you Float noone likes you), and you cannot go into dash mode unless you use Dash Burst *might* be good. Again, i'm hosting a server to see if these changes actually do anything bad or good.

I basically buffed everyone in Battle, and have started hosting a server to see if they are broken or not. [sorry if this counts as advertising netplay mods]

I've made some random changes in 6.1 Edit, I don't really know how to list them all. I'm not trying to tell you to make the changes I am making.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

I also feel like the Ring Loss Half may be a good alternative to the Shield Stacking mechanic.

THIS Ring Loss Mechanic
- If the player has 20 Rings or more, they will lose half of their rings, if they have less than 20 rings, they lose all of their rings.

Why I think it'd be a good alternative
- If you hurt someone, you know you've done something about their ring count and they can no longer use as many abilities, but aren't completely useless.
- Shield Placement is inconsistent, I know you want to make your own maps, but making maps is very difficult, especially to keep interesting and fun. I would certainly hope that these "arenas" aren't smaller than Secluded Island. It has one Weak Random Monitor, it's simple, but not very interesting.
- If you have a lot of rings, you aren't given a huuuuge "fuck you", while you do get punished greatly, it's not AS bad.

What the ring loss mechanic is based off of
- Sonic Unleashed's Ring Loss mechanic, where I believe if you had 40 rings or more, you lost half of your rings. I suggested 20 rings or more because... well I don't think it'd make that much of an impact otherwise maybe, I don't know.

Last edited:
The issue with changing how SRB2's core mechanics work is that it creates a disconnect for players coming in, since their intuition expects that mechanic to work as it does everywhere else. In the case of ring loss, it's a bit jarring to not lose all of your rings on hit, if you are already conditioned to the ring loss mechanic from playing non-battle modes.

The shield stacking mechanic is a bit more graceful in this regard, because it doesn't change how rings or shields work at their core -- it just adds another layer of protection on top of that.

I have other issues with the fractional ring loss mechanic that are more balance related -- for instance, I think it makes it too easy for players to just... stay alive forever, but I also think it makes it more difficult to topple someone who has rings in the triple digits. With shields, you know that a fully stacked character will be exposed after 2-4 hits, and in the next hit you can potentially take all rings. It's a much more concrete way of defining a character's survivability, and it forces ring horders to also keep their shields up if they want to keep their offensive advantage.

The only disadvantage to this system is something you have already mentioned -- a system like this relies on balanced shield distribution, and the current maps do not make it very easy for players to obtain shields. I do have a solution to this, it's just something that will have to wait until my finals are over before I attempt to implement it.

Also, fractional ring loss doesn't really make much of a difference since the abilities for the vanilla cast aren't very costly individually. Sonic, for example, can just snoop straight into a ring box and he's ready to defend himself again (granted he picks at least 1 other ring).

Whenever the Buzzes Defeat brak the cutscene where the alarms sound while everything is exploding and you're able to escape does not happen/play
attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20073.png
    srb20073.png
    311.3 KB · Views: 1,705
Hey, I know there hasn't been an update in a while, but I was playing the mod with some of my friends and we ran into some issues with ERT: namely, that whenever a custom character was tagged by Egg Robo and turned into one, they were turn into Sonic during the hurt animation and would remain that way until they changed their character manually. I don't know if this is a conflict with another mod I was using or if this just a general bug with the mod though

Custom characters tend to have certain scripting which conflicts with the Egg Robo mechanics, so I had to forceskin the player to a default character as a sort of failsafe. In the next version I will be looking into restoring the player's skin when the level is finished.

Version 7.0

A massive update has arrived!!

• Redesigned abilities for Tails, Amy, and Metal Sonic
  • New game modes: Arena, Survival, and Diamond in the Rough
  • A full rotation of 12 maps for Arena and Survival
  • New parry mechanic for all characters
  • Improvements to Egg Robo Tag
  • 2D mode dynamic camera and physics improvements
  • Shield stacking now allows any shield to be restored in reserve
  • New music tracks
  • ... and much, much more!

This update is so big that it has forced me to overhaul the existing gameplay and modding tutorials. Don't take it from me though -- check out the changelog!

Code:
2020-7-13
Version 7.0

Music
	Added three new oggs and midis
		BPNCH1
		BPNCH2
		CNZ1PR

Gametypes
	Added Arena and Diamond battle mode types
	Added Arena gametypes: Arena, Team Arena, Survival, Team Survival
	Added Arena Maps:
		Grass Court Zone
		Oasis Zone
		King's Board Zone
		Snow Globe Zone
		Greenflower Zone, Act 3
		Mushroom Pit Zone
		Sideshow Zone
		Tunnel Road Zone
		Aquarium Zone
		Lost Bridge Zone
		Pumpkin Peak Zone
		Chaos Shrine Zone
	Removed gametypes: Battle, Team Battle
	Added Diamond gametypes: Diamond in the Rough, Team Diamond in the Rough
	Egg-Robo Tag
		Re-enabled spectators
		Laser now fires a thicker stream of laser projectiles, with a somewhat Eggmobile-like attack style and an outward spread
		Bomb specials have been replaced with "Place Mine"
			Mines stay on the field indefinitely
			Will only be removed when an untagged player or a projectile touches them
		Refined general Egg Robo movement
		Egg Robo weight increased (100% -> 200%)
		Various Egg Robo Tag fixes
		Removed an eggrobotag skin failsafe for custom characters. Check player.iseggrobo for proper compatibility!
	Battle CTF
		Time limit (10 -> 8)
		Increased flag respawn grace period (5 -> 6)
		Increased top speed penalty for flagrunners (5% -> 10%)
		Increased acceleration penalty for flagrunners (10% -> 20%)
	CP
		Time limit (10 -> 8)
		Point limit (5000 -> 4000)
		Capture bonus (1000 -> 500)
		Capture speed increased 20%
	Team CP
		Time limit (10 -> 8)
		Point limit (3 -> 4)
		Capture speed increased 20%

General
	2D mode
		Air movement modified to be more responsible in the air (thrust factor increased +100%)
		Added acceleration curve (acceleration more gradual at high speeds)
		Gravity and thrust values raised (+50%)
			Spring object scale increased (+50%) to maintain vertical launch height
		Projectile speed reduced (-50%)
	Added player spawning animations for battle gametypes
	Added guarding
		With good timing, players can guard against enemy attacks (uses firenormal key)
	Added battleconfig.cfg
		Allows players to:
			bind one or multiple keys to the special and guard actions
			toggle on/off the aim cursor display for certain characters
	Added weight
		Players and objects with more weight will be less resistant to knockback forces and will deal more knockback to others
	Added bashable object types (mo.battleobject)
		Players can launch certain pushables by attacking them.
		Launched bashables will deal damage to enemies and opponent players
	Added bashable objects:
		Bash Boulder
		Chess Knight
		Chess King
		Chess Queen
		Chess Pawn
		Snowman
		Snowman w/ Top Hat
		Tails Doll
	Added "PreRound"
		Start time waiting period applies to all battle modes. Players can change skins during this period via the jump/spin keys.
	Expanded scope and functionality of "battledebug"
		More HUD items
		Ability to flag/unflag certain debug info types

Console
	Added variables and commands
		battle_guard
		battle_preround
		battle_tailsdoll
		battle_startrings
		survival_lives
		survival_suddendeath
		survival_revenge
		item_rate
		item_global
		item_local
		battleconfig_special
		battleconfig_guard
		battleconfig_aimsight
		test
	Modified naming conventions for existing variables and commands (see 7.0 Player & Server Manual for more info)
	Removed "autoaim"

Characters & Abilities
	Sonic
		Super Spin Jump
			Raised offensive priority (1 -> 2)
		Ground Pound
			Raised offensive priority (1 -> 2)
			Rebound height off of enemies can be reduced by releasing the jump key
	Tails
		Buzz Sentry replaced with the RC Robo Missile
			Player will launch three badnik themed missiles
				Badnik type varies based on environment (Crawla = land, BASH = air, Jetjaw = water)
			Missiles respond to player direction and z position so long as the special button is held
				Crawlas will jump when the player presses the jump button
			Carried players can be launched onto a BASH or Jetjaw Missile
				Carried players control the direction of the missile in flight

Knuckles
		Increased weight (100 -> 115%)
		Increased reserve shields (2 -> 3)
		Removed passive frontal "defense" trait
		Knuckles will be forced to detatch from walls after 6 seconds of climbing
			Rapidly latching/detatching from walls will reduce the climb timer
		Dig
			Added explicit priority to downward drill (Atk 2, Def 2)
			Ring cost increased (8 -> 10)
			Resurface cost removed (6 -> 0)
			Ambush cooldown is now 5 seconds or the length of time the player spends burrowed (whichever is higher)
			Cancel cooldown is now 1 second or the length of time the player spends burrowed (whichever is higher)
			Uses exhaust timer
				Exhaust timer runs more slowly on walls
			Cannot re-glide after using dig

Amy
		Charm Beam replaced with the Tornado Spin
			Priority (Atk 2, Def 3)
			Ground Special
				Amy will wind up a tornado spin, unleashing a dustdevil that can launch foes and shield allies
					Only one dustdevil can be out at a time
			Air Special
				Amy will perform a midair jump, dealing damage to opponents who make contact
					Midair jump can be extended by holding the jump key
					Using the Air Special inside of a dustdevil will launch Amy upwards

Fang
		Throw Bomb
			Being in contact with one's own bomb as it explodes causes Fang to perform a bomb-jump
			Added telegraph animation to throw
			Using the special move while pogoing will drop the bomb instead of throwing it

Metal Sonic
		Increased weight (100% -> 125%)
		Metal Sonic will be forced to slow down and lose height after 6 seconds of hovering
		Special move renamed to "Energy Attack"
		Energy Attack
			Ring cost increased (8 -> 10)
			Ring cost is effective on initiation
			Energy Attack uses exhaust meter instead of draining rings per second
			Dash activated via jump key
			Cancel activated via guard key
			Players can no longer hover after attacking
			Forced wait period before blast can be fired
			Energy blast now has two levels instead of three
				Level 1 fires 5 projectiles vertically
				Level 2 fires 3 sets of 5 vertical projectiles
			Player can perform the "Dash Slicer" by using the spin key

Maintenance
	Added a smoother spectator with proper 2D controls
	Removed deprecated "player.truemo" variable (replaced all instances with "player.realmo")
	HUD CP radar now points in the correct direction in 2D mode
	Homing attack collisions send the user at a fixed knockback angle/strength
	Using the Flame Shield's ability will send no-spinjump characters into spin frames
	Enforced a 10 tic limit on the homing chase of the Homing Thok ability
	Disallowed action usage while the player is inside a zoomtube
	Cleaned up NetVars
	Added respawn delay penalty to all battle modes
	Removed outdated damage hook for common projectiles
	Fixed a 2.2.4 glitch which causes friendly projectiles to continuously give rings to teammates
	Restructured tag damage code
	Restructured HUD code
	Fixed a netsynch issue within CBW_Battle.SearchObject()
	Removed "tossflag" functionality from actionscripts
	Switching between team and non-team game modes will restore player skincolor
	Added internal debug print function
	Debug HUD scales with resolution

Modding
	Added function CBW_Battle.DoPlayerFlinch(player,flinchtime,knockback_angle,skid_thrust)
		Sets player flinch/skidding properties
#

This has been a wild few months. Big shoutout to Blade for contributing his Pumpkin Peak map to the Arena level rotation, and an even bigger shoutout to Krabs for his incredible work on all the arena stages. Thanks to everyone who helped make this possible!

Dustdevil sounds really scary, I hope it plays better than I think it will lol. I liked the old charm beam but i guess good things do change...

having played the new version with some friends for a little while, we all came to the conclusion:
Amy's tornado is very over-powered. It's fine in the larger normal maps, but in the Arena maps it cleans house and no one can really contest her ever.
Metal Sonic also feels slightly under-powered now. The new dash claw is cool, but I can't really find a purpose for it. The fact that Metal Sonic can't adjust his aim for his projectile after he starts charging is really bad. He needs that back.

Last edited:
dont tell me the dustdevil blows enemies away like i think it does... i seriously dunno why he wanted to try a dustdevil ability, nobody thought amy was underpowered except for several casuals

Problems

Hey, first off, I love the mod, it's so much fun and it's just great!

But it seems that v7.0 is slighty (really) unstable, considering that I'm seeing problems that weren't happening in the last version.

• OOMs - For some reason, I'm getting these OOM errors that could be because you have an actual memory leak in the mod, or the mod is just so huge that SRB2 doesn't have either memory for other things are just ends up hanging itself, and they appear A LOT.
  • massive lag spikes - Either that it's simply me with my terrible PC or something, but I never had any lag spikes that appeared in the last version as well.
I'm not a modder, so I basically do not know what causes these problems, but it's basically breaking SRB2, mainly due to how large the update is.

Since when was metal sonic overpowered, and was he truly overpowered to the degree that you had to make him unable to hit anything?

So glad this update is out now. To those playing, please let me know what you think of the arena maps - most of them were a joint effort between Cobalt (who created rough gameplay) and myself (who finalized the maps with better visuals and made various gameplay changes) except for Pumpkin Peak Zone, which is a fantastic map by Blade with some tweaks by myself.

Anyway, here are some of my thoughts on v7 which are better put in a post here than on discord:

For arena maps, it would be really nice for sudden death bombs to spawn at a specified Z position in the map header. This way, maps with invisible ceilings will work properly during sudden death.

Amy is feeling a bit frustrating right now, for multiple reasons:
- The windup animation for tornado moves amy so far forward that it becomes difficult to spawn the tornado where you want
- The tornado itself is, in my opinion, a bit too large and visually noisy
- The tornado should not fling around players who are blinking invincible
- Piko spin allows amy players to stall in midair for quite some time. I'd suggest either reducing the vertical distance, or increasing the cooldown.

Diamond mode could use a lot of tweaks to the visibility of the diamond itself, as well as an easier way to track the diamond holder besides simply staring at the arrow on the top of the hud. In team diamond, it would be nice to see an icon of which character currently holds the diamond, as in non-team diamond.

Last edited:
So glad this update is out now. To those playing, please let me know what you think of the arena maps

more! 2D! maps!

the group i played a session with all pretty much decided that the 2D map in the pack was the best one. the shared smash bros-esque camera made keeping track of everything really easy and added a larger feeling of involvement. i want moooooooore.

god the hurry up music

The only thing i didn't like was Metal's new ability... It feels less OP, but more similar to the boss. Anyway, what a update!

I mean I dislike gigantic projectiles that fling opponents in general. Sounds stupid to give amy a dustdevil, there's a very big chance that's going to be a problem or even have some bugs, jank, or clunkiness.
But this is Cobalt we're talking about so the tornado thing might give Amy points, and might make the opposing flag holder drop their flag.
I guess he just didn't like the charm beam, or this is a chance to make Amy a "better character"
apparantly the tornado thing gives her teammates a shield which... i guess is keeping the charm beam's side function.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back