[v1.3] CrossMomentum - A complete gameplay overhaul

[Open Assets] [v1.3] CrossMomentum - A complete gameplay overhaul 1.3.4

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Frostiikin

recovering elseif abuser
Judge
my_god_that_took_long.png

Credits to DrSteph and Icezer for this incredibly poggers banner thingy

Warning: If you suffer from epilepsy, or are sensitive to flashing lights, please type "hyperflash off" in the console (press ~ to open console) before turning hyper.

It's finally here!
The massive project that i've been working on for the last few months is finally complete! CrossMomentum, also known as XMomentum is my envisionment of how srb2 would play if I was put at the helm. Featuring momentum, new character movesets, tricks, hyper forms, and much, much more!

This mod has a downright ridiculous amount of content, so i'm gonna split this up into sections.

Global changes

Momentum
Almost all characters now are able to gain momentum by either running/rolling down slopes, or simply running on flat ground for a long enough time. Additionally, all characters who can spindash are capable of uncurling at any time, and bonus acceleration is given for rolling down any slope regardless of height. Due to this, it's typically a good idea to roll down any slope you can find.
attachment.php

Tricks
Press Jump off of a spring to start tricking. While tricking, you can press Spin to rotate clockwise, and Jump to rotate counter-clockwise. The more flips you can do without touching the ground, the greater the eventual speed boost will be once you land! Just make sure you don't land on your head...
attachment.php

Hueshifted Skincolors
Each member of the vanilla cast gets their own unique skincolor, complete with hue shift! While not an objective improvement over vanilla, I think the characters look far nicer with these.
attachment.php

Hyper Forms
Any character who can go super can also go hyper! Just make sure you've got 150+ rings before transforming. I'll go into much more detail about the various hyper abilities you can get later down in the post.
attachment.php

no more airwalking
i don't like airwalk lol
attachment.php

Water Running
When running at high speeds, you may notice a trail of dust appearing behind you. This means that you're moving fast enough to water-run! Just make sure you keep your speed up, or you'll fall right through that lake...
attachment.php

Character-Specific changes

Sonic
Returning from the SADC, Sonic gets the Momentum Thok! I took all the criticism that was given for the original ability into account here, and have made significant changes to how it works.
The momentum thok is, as the name implies, a thok that is heavily affected by your current momentum. The faster you're moving, the faster it'll fling you! Additionally, if you hold down jump after initiating a momentum thok, it'll turn into a momentum jumpthok!
attachment.php

Tails
Instead of his normal flight, tails gains three upwards "Bursts" that don't take away any speed. These allow him to skip major chunks of levels, but don't directly aid him in gaining or redirecting speed in any way. Additionally, you can also tap spin for a quick downwards burst, which is useful for getting around various bits of level geometry that may be right in your way. You can also hold spin for a normal fast-fall.
attachment.php

As a little bonus, you can also change the color of tails' shoes via the console command "Blueshoes"!
attachment.php

Knuckles
...knuckles doesn't really have many changes aside from those present in vanilla momentum mod, those being that he has less speed reduction from landing, and canceling a glide no longer halts momentum. May have more substantial changes in an update.
attachment.php

Amy
Amy has been almost entirely changed from her vanilla counterpart. Her new double jump move is an ability which I have dubbed the "Amycopter". Essentially, the amycopter allows you to redirect momentum in the direction you're currently facing, and gives you a slow fall effect for around a second. Additionally, hitting an enemy while in your amycopter state will send you flying into the air, and allow you to do another amycopter without touching the ground. She also now has the hammer jump, which is activated by pressing jump during the grounded hammer attack's landing phase. This jump will send you higher the faster you was moving before activating it. Amy also makes heavy use of powerspringing in order to do even more tricks then any other character can from a single spring. Don't forget that you can do a normal twinspin by simply pressing spin midair with no shield!
srb21365.gif

Fang
Fang's gun is the main change here, you can now use it in the air or on the ground, and you can use it at any speed. This allows him to take out tons of badniks in record times!
srb21368.gif

Metal Sonic
The vast majority of metal's changes are purely aesthetic, though there is one major gameplay alteration: He can no longer lose dashmode while airborne. Use this alongside his hover to take dashmode through areas that are normally too platforming-heavy to maintain it!
srb21381.gif

...Vanilla sonic?
Just to appease thok fans, I added the option to play as sonic, but with none of the fancy xmomentum stuff. He gets no tricks, no uncurling, no momentum, none of that jazz, just your standard thok.

Hyper Forms

As stated above, any character capable of going super is also capable of going hyper by collecting 150 rings before transforming. All hyper characters have a much higher jump height then a typical super form, faster acceleration, and their actionspeed is 2x what it normally is. Additionally, many characters have various buffs exclusive to them when they go hyper. Here's a list of various characters and what they can do.

Vanilla Characters

Sonic
Hyper Sonic is able to fly, similarly to how he could in Doomsday Zone and Egg Reverie Zone. To begin flying, press spin midair. After you begin flying, press Jump to ascend, and Spin to descend. Aditionally, holding both Jump and Spin will allow you to do a boost, though you can't ascend or descend while boosting.
attachment.php

Tails
Hyper Tails gets infinite flight bursts. Pretty straightforward.
attachment.php

Knuckles
Hyper Knuckles no longer loses any height when gliding, can multiglide, and his glide goes significantly faster.
attachment.php

Amy
Hyper Amy can hover with her hammer indefinitely, and her hammer jump goes absolutely wild, allowing her to get just about anywhere in meer seconds.
attachment.php

Fang
Hyper Fang's popgun essentially turns into a machine gun, and his bounce is capable of going as high as a red spring, while causing a small screen nuke.
attachment.php

Metal
Instead of Hyper metal sonic, you get Hyper Metal Sonic!
...what?
...does nobody get the reference? I thought you guys loved the ova!
Aaaaanyways, Hyper Metal causes an armageddon shield-teir screen nuke whenever he enters dashmode, and his hover now allows him to slowly float upwards.
srb21389.gif

Modded Characters
There are a lot of these, and as such, they'll simply be getting explanations instead of their own gifs (atleast for now, may come back and update the thread later lol)

Hyper Srbii:
Multi Momentum Thok + Mini screen nukes.

Hyper Milne:
Her thoks send you significantly higher.

Hyper Ray:
Infinite gliding.

Hyper Modern Sonic:
No ring drain from flight, and mini screen nukes when you activate the boost.

Hyper Eggpack:
He can hover upwards much faster when hyper then he can when super.

Hyper Noob [TORD]:
Similarly to eggpack, he can gain much more height much more quickly when hyper.

Hyper Junio Sonic:
Infinite uses of the Bullet Dash.

Hyper Gemma:
Jumping off of a rock makes you go significantly higher

Hyper Rafael:
Free-Flight, Similar to Hyper Sonic, though Rafael has the advantage of being able to taunt while flying!

Hyper Robe:
Electric Vortex is significantly faster, and Shock Jump makes you rise way faster

Hyper Nasya:
...It's literally just super mystic nasya, lmao. Draykon requested I just give her her super mystic abilities for her hyper, and I delivered on that request :P.

And many, many more!
COMING SOON:
Hyper Flareblis
Hyper milne but less lazy lol
Hyper Feels
XMomentum: Mapper's Edition

Changelog:
v1.2
Added a new HUD element in first person mode that appears while tricking in order to help you land tricks more easily
Fixed Amy getting screwed over by Green Snappers
Fixed Super Sonic losing his hover
Added a new trick failure sprite for Knuckles courtesy of SuperPhanto
Water Wakes are now recolored to be orange when they appear while running on lava
AltSonic now has access to the momentum half of XMomentum
Fixed Nasya randomly falling out of the sky, and gave her a hyper form
Fixed Tails' Tails not showing up while tricking
Fixed Robe getting screwed over when he enters his Hyper-Form
Fixed RollAngle resetting being too overzealous
Fixed various characters being able to cause extreme lag by going Hyper (Milne, FlyingSonic, Rabbid, Xtreme, and a few others)
Fixed VanillaSonic being able to go Hyper
Fixed Bandages being able to zoom around while charging spindash

Added tons of little things for other mods to hook into to disable various bits of XMomentum when needed

v1.1.1:
Fixed skip being able to slide around while crouching
Fixed some various bugs regarding amycopter

v1.1:
Fixed Fang being able to do tricks by shooting underwater
Made the hyper music loop properly (thanks zolton & yume)
Hyper Metal now rises faster
Tails can no longer turn hyper/super while flying
Made Neo Sonic actually capable of using his abilities
Fixed Hyper Sonic being able to do infinite tricks while flying if you timed it just right
Fixed a hidden character being able to crash the game
How to add XMomentum compatibility to your mods/characters
How to add Trick Failure sprites
First off, create a sprite of your character faceplanting (duh), then put it in the character's pk3 in the same place you put the rest of their normal sprites, and name it SHITALAR. After you've done that, simply put this soc into your character's SOC folder. After that, you're good to go!
Little lua bits and bobs that disable various things, enable various things, and check for various things. Thought it'd be worth documenting since a few people have asked.
player.hasnomomentum
Set player.hasnomomentum to true when you wish to disable momentum on a character. This is necessary when you wish to mess with the player's normalspeed, as your normalspeed is constantly overwritten by XMomentum normally.
player.isxmomentum
Pretty self explanatory, simply check "if player.isxmomentum" or "if not player.isxmomentum" depending on if you want something to only run when XMomentum is loaded, or when it's not loaded. Be sure you don't use true/false with this though, as that'll cause errors if xmomentum isn't loaded.
player.spcanflip
When set to true, this will allow the player to do a short frontflip when they enter their falling state. If set to false, it disables it.
player.hyper.capable
This one's a bit more complex, but I think I can explain it. Basically, hyper capable is set when you have 150+ rings, and are not super, but is never removed if you're currently hyper. Essentially, what this means is that how you detect if the player is currently hyper is by doing this:
if player.hyper and player.hyper.capable and player.powers[pw_super]
Hope I explained that one well enough lol.
player.hassupermusic
When set to true, the standard hyper form music won't be played. Could either be used to give your character custom hyper music, or simply be used to stop hyper forms from causing immense lag if you already have custom super music.
Credits:
CobaltBW: Original momentum mod that was used as a base for this, aswell as making the air shooting sprites for fang.
Kwiin: Tons of help with figuring out how abilities should work, and general ideas.
Starlight/XStatic: Hyper Metal Sonic's really cool power aura
ArtBunny: Water-Running trail sprites. If it wasn't for you, water running wouldn't look nearly as cool.
Bloops: Coding in the water-running trail. You and artbunny did a damned good job with those wakes.
DrStephen: The incredibly hillarious trick failure sprites. Those things are gorgeous.
SuperPhanto:
Knuckles' new trick failure sprite that was added in v1.2. No offense to steph, but this looks way better then the old one.

Tatsuru, SMS Alfredo, and many others from both srb2 discords: Help with fixing my poorly coded scripts lmao

The entirety of Team BlackRock: Help with beta testing. You all gave so many great ideas, found so many issues, and just were in general a blast to collaborate with. Thank you all so much.

Attachments

• srb21359.gif
    srb21359.gif
    6.2 MB · Views: 148,007
  • srb21369.gif
    srb21369.gif
    5.3 MB · Views: 3,077
  • srb21373.gif
    srb21373.gif
    6.8 MB · Views: 69,790
  • srb21376.gif
    srb21376.gif
    6.8 MB · Views: 68,386
  • srb21382.gif
    srb21382.gif
    7.7 MB · Views: 69,711
  • srb21386.gif
    srb21386.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 65,579
  • srb21387.gif
    srb21387.gif
    5 MB · Views: 68,974
  • VCL_XMomentum-v1.2.pk3
    4.5 MB · Views: 26,090
Last edited:
Everything checks out! I'll go more in depth of my personal thoughts later but CrossMomentum is fun. Welcome to releases!
5kt13s5.gif

this mod is absolutely spectacular, honestly. the new moves and visual touches are immense improvements imo, and the amount of effort that went into this mod absolutely shows.
if i had any complaints...probably have the ability to uncurl after jumping to let you trick instead of using your abilty? idk

i can't believe you gave amy a thok

I feel like this could have been multiple add-ons instead of just one, but it's an interesting overhaul. Interesting how every Hyper character uses Hyper Sonic's colors. I feel like if SEGA brought back Hyper forms (which seems unlikely), they'd make non-hedgehog Hypers look the same as their Super forms. That's how Hyper Knuckles was in S3&K, anyway.

Now to see if the Super Flickies add-on is compatible with this one.

I found out during the release party that, if he's able to, Tails goes Super/Hyper instead of fastfalling if you press Spin while in the flying state. I don't think that's intentional?

I love the physics changes this mod brings to the table, but I don't jive with some of the aesthetic choices all that much, like the skincolors or Tails' shoes. Any chance you could make a lite version of the mod that's just the physics overhaul?

When you trick with Tails, his namesake, aka his tails, go missing. What am I supposed to call tricking Tails without his tails?

I found out during the release party that, if he's able to, Tails goes Super/Hyper instead of fastfalling if you press Spin while in the flying state. I don't think that's intentional?
Dammit, I could've sworn I fixed that...

I love the physics changes this mod brings to the table, but I don't jive with some of the aesthetic choices all that much, like the skincolors or Tails' shoes. Any chance you could make a lite version of the mod that's just the physics overhaul?
You can turn tails' shoes back to their original color via the console command "blueshoes (on/off)". Also, an option to have the mod without any of the skincolors will be coming soon, as a part of the Mapper's Edition(s).

When you trick with Tails, his namesake, aka his tails, go missing. What am I supposed to call tricking Tails without his tails?
This is a known issue, I just really didn't want to fix it because messing with tails' tails is incredibly painful ._.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back