SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Advance Sonic (v2.2) Details »»
Advance Sonic (v2.2)
Developer Last Online: May 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (8 votes - 4.25 average)
Released: 03-16-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 6
Characters Scripts Sprites/Graphics

It's Sonic as he was in the Sonic Advance series, now in SRB2! His base stats are the same as regular Sonic's, but he has some new abilities, such as...

Boost Mode!

Similar to Metal Sonic's, but instead of tearing through spikes and enemies, Advance Sonic can keep his boost in mid air regardless of his speed! You can use this to quickly turn around or pick up speed again after hitting vertical springs. It doesn't charge up while you're revving a Spindash, but horizontal red springs and speed boosters can put you in Boost Mode instantly!

The Jump Thok!
shoutouts to seaballer

Instead of the Jump Dash or the Double Spin Attack, this version of Advance Sonic has a Jump Thok! Pressing Jump in midair will send you forward and slightly upward. Good for picking up speed from a standstill, making it over slightly too high ledges, and redirecting your momentum in another direction!

The Bound Attack!

Advance Sonic can't use shield abilities, but pressing Spin after jumping will send him straight down at a high speed, performing a small bounce upon landing. Good for getting through areas where you need to quickly fall down. If you're in boost mode, it won't cut your speed.

Spring Tricks!

For extra mobility after hitting springs, Advance Sonic can perform one of two tricks. Pressing Spin will perform the Humming Top, a spinning kick that sends you flying forward very fast! Pressing Jump will perform the Hop Jump, a decent vertical boost that lets you reach higher platforms or cover large distances when timed right. You can also perform tricks off of gas jets and dust devils!

All of these moves used together will help you maintain your momentum and open up almost any zone.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

v2.2:
  • Removed Homing Attack.
  • Removed floor sparks in Boost Mode.
  • Added a unique HUD, straight out of Sonic Advance 2.
  • Added particle effects on Boost Mode startup.
  • Added unique spindash release, skidding, and death sounds.
  • Changed trick sound to be more accurate.
  • Changed Bound Attack initation sound.
  • Adjusted some sound effect volumes.
  • Sprite offset adjustments and additional idle frames, thanks to LonelyFoxz.
  • Modified the character select description.
  • Fixed being able to move with the Humming Top on the ground.
  • Boost Mode can no longer start underwater (it still doesn't stop unless you're too slow, though).
  • Fixed being able to see the Attraction Shield target even though you can't use the ability.
  • Omen.
v2.1:
  • Character now uses two buttons only. Vertical trick with Jump, forward trick with Spin.
  • Can no longer use Homing or Bound Attacks after hitting a spring.
  • Can trick off of Techno Hill Zone gas jets and Arid Canyon Zone dust devils.
  • Homing Attack recovery angle should be consistent now.
  • Horizontal springs and speed boosters can now put you in Boost Mode on the ground.
  • Bound Attack no longer kills momentum in Boost Mode.
  • Can Jump Thok or Homing Attack after a bounce.
  • Can no longer use the Whirlwind Shield's secondary jump.
  • New Boost Mode activation sound.
  • Boost Mode is no longer instantly lost upon entering water (still lost in goop though).
  • Changed character select art.
  • Adjusted several sound effect volumes.
  • Changed Homing Attack sound effect.
v2:
  • Initial release.

Additional Notes:
  • Sonic's sprites are all upscaled in game, which may make them look even weirder. Additionally, he doesn't have unique super form frames. He does have NiGHTS frames though.
  • The HUD offsets might look strange in non-green resolutions. 4:3 ones look okay enough though.
  • Please do not ask me to add Battle mod support. Do not give me suggestions for abilities in Battle mod. And for the love of all that is good in the world, do not host a server with this character in Battle mod.

Credits:
  • SEGA / Sonic Team - Origin of pretty much all the current sprites.
  • Blacknide and LonelyFoxz - Base sprite edits for the character and inspiration through the original Advance Sonic.
  • izzy - Further sprite edits, lots of gameplay testing, general encouragement, and showing me some really cool GIFs of what they could do with the character.
  • SMS Alfredo - Clean rip of the Sonic Rush trick sound. It's not being used anymore as of v2.2, but it was a good placeholder. Thanks.
  • And the SRB2 wiki and Discord server for helping me with random scripting questions at 5 in the morning and whatnot.

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VCL_AdvanceSonic-v2.2.pk3 (1.20 MB, 1297 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20281.png
Views:	97
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	30546   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20007.gif
Views:	2832
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	30547   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20002.gif
Views:	2946
Size:	7.78 MB
ID:	30548   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20004.gif
Views:	2931
Size:	4.99 MB
ID:	30549   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20005.gif
Views:	2898
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	30550  

Name:	srb20003.gif
Views:	2915
Size:	7.90 MB
ID:	30551  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 03-25-2020   #22
I'll Begin
💪🐑

Is it really that astounding to you lot that multiple people could have had the same idea independently from each other?
I'll Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020   #23
Eis-Kold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
By "illegaly" do you mean that the ones on this site needs to be deleted because it could be reprehensible by the authorities?

Or just in the sense that those are illegitimate ports without the original modder's authorization?
It's the second one. Gamebanana ports often don't get the permission of the original creator. And yeah, it's made from scratch.
Eis-Kold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020   #24
Turret 49

Some of the sounds in this mod (especially the jumping sound and Sonic's "Yeah!") are quite notably loud, can they be turned down to be closer to SRB2's vanilla sound balance?

Last edited by Turret 49; 03-26-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Turret 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020   #25
Crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turret 49 View Post
Some of the sounds in this mod (especially the jumping sound and Sonic's "Yeah!") are quite notably loud, can they be turned down to be closer to SRB2's vanilla sound balance?
Can do. I adjusted those cause originally they were too quiet in-game but I guess I overdid it. It'll be in v2.1.
Crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020   #26
Icarus
The Final Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eis-Kold View Post
It's the second one. Gamebanana ports often don't get the permission of the original creator. And yeah, it's made from scratch.

Would it be a good idea to simply ask the site to shut down their SRB2 page because of it?

I know it's not the subject of the main thread but it would be better if the "real versions" of the mods there would be uploaded here by their respective creators.

Back to the main subject: Advance Sonic is probably the closest thing to an Adventure/classic gameplay mix we could get in the game and I'm glad about that.
Old 03-26-2020   #27
Bright Tailz
A.K.A CommandoEclipse

Why does Advance Sonic use Sonic Rush sound effects when Advance already has trick sounds?
Old 03-28-2020   #28
Crum

Name:	srb20138.gif
Views:	37
Size:	5.24 MB
ID:	28899

Update. Changelog in opening post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Tailz View Post
Why does Advance Sonic use Sonic Rush sound effects when Advance already has trick sounds?
I didn't feel like going through the effort to try to rip and manually sequence that sound myself, since it wasn't in the sound effect rips I had. That's also why the spindash release sound is just the default one.
Old 03-30-2020   #29
izzy
*funny haha jazz band*

Rest in YEAH, Homing/Bounding after hitting a spring. I'll probably be the only one that misses you.
izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020   #30
turpial_azzul

Man, this... This makes me feel really nostalgic, and not only because I love the Advance and Rush series, but also because, this makes me remember the mid 2000`s, when there was no "Modern Sonic" or "Classic Sonic", just Sonic.
And the mod itself is great, but maybe the hop or bounce effect after doing a homming attack could be reduced, it would be my standard way to play SRB2 otherwise
Old 04-09-2020   #31
Icarus
The Final Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpial_azzul View Post
Man, this... This makes me feel really nostalgic, and not only because I love the Advance and Rush series, but also because, this makes me remember the mid 2000`s, when there was no "Modern Sonic" or "Classic Sonic", just Sonic.
I understand what you're saying. There wasn't a differentiation between Classic and Modern up until Generations came out.

And then there's even differences between the Saturn Sonic, Adventure Sonic, Advance (and Rush) Sonic, it's not simple.

This mod is really good honestly, it feels more like the Adventure gameplay than Neo Sonic.
Old 04-10-2020   #32
Rapid
wake me up when 2.3 is out

This wad is really fun to play with. I like the shortcuts you can take with his mid-air tricks.
Old 04-14-2020   #33
I'll Begin
💪🐑

Quote:
And then there's even differences between the Saturn Sonic, Adventure Sonic, Advance (and Rush) Sonic, it's not simple.[/B]
Even then, there's games like Sonic Pocket Adventure and the Japanese Saturn version of Sonic 3D (which came out AFTER Sonic Adventure there) that really show that transitional period between Sonic's Classic and Adventure designs. It's actually really cool to look back on. I mean just check this box art out!

Old 04-14-2020   #34
Icarus
The Final Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'll Begin View Post
Even then, there's games like Sonic Pocket Adventure and the Japanese Saturn version of Sonic 3D (which came out AFTER Sonic Adventure there) that really show that transitional period between Sonic's Classic and Adventure designs. It's actually really cool to look back on.
Yeah, Pocket Adventure was basically "Sonic Advance 0" as it was the first Sonic game on a non-Sega handheld system and made by people at SNK who will soon become the members of Dimps.

I honestly find it strange how Sega sliced Sonic's serie and Design in two halves instead of having a smooth transition like other video game mascots (even Pac-Man knew some design changes through the eras).

Back to the subject of the mod I would love to try it in a 2D map because it would feel even more like Advance.
Old 04-14-2020   #35
I'll Begin
💪🐑

Quote:
I honestly find it strange how Sega sliced Sonic's serie and Design in two halves instead of having a smooth transition like other video game mascots (even Pac-Man knew some design changes through the eras).
Sorry to keep drawing the topic away from the WAD and I shouldn't have anything left to add after this, but there was actually a clear reason for this!

Sonic Adventure was a reinvention of the franchise after it had long fallen out of the spotlight. Part of that reinvention was giving him a radical new updated design to appeal to changing trends. He wasn't that outdated baby game on the Sega anymore, this was a hip, cool teen Sonic for the older demographic introduced to gaming with the PlayStation.

I'd like to think it was an effective marketing decision. A lot of Sonic fans to this day still really love this art and character direction for Sonic, especially going into SA2 and the Advance/Rush games.

Last edited by I'll Begin; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:43 AM. Reason: somehow managed to notice a typo like 4 weeks later
Old 04-20-2020   #36
Crum

Still working on some stuff here and there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20226.png
Views:	11
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	29865  

Last edited by Crum; 04-20-2020 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Resize
Old 04-20-2020   #37
Icarus
The Final Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crum View Post

Still working on some stuff here and there.
This looks like the beginning of SRB1 remake. And that HUD is great too.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #38
Crum

Update. Changelog here:
Spoiler:

v2.2:
  • Removed Homing Attack.
  • Removed floor sparks in Boost Mode.
  • Added a unique HUD, straight out of Sonic Advance 2.
  • Added particle effects on Boost Mode startup.
  • Added unique spindash release, skidding, and death sounds.
  • Changed trick sound to be more accurate.
  • Changed Bound Attack initation sound.
  • Adjusted some sound effect volumes.
  • Sprite offset adjustments and additional idle frames, thanks to LonelyFoxz.
  • Modified the character select description.
  • Fixed being able to move with the Humming Top on the ground.
  • Boost Mode can no longer start underwater (it still doesn't stop unless you're too slow, though).
  • Fixed being able to see the Attraction Shield target even though you can't use the ability.
  • Omen.

Not much left to do aside from the obvious.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #39
CyberKnux
Knuckles Chuckles
Extended Ban (Strike 3)

umm.. crum is there supposed to be super sonic sprites?
CyberKnux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #40
Seaball
NiGHTS addict

Quote:
Removed Homing Attack shoutouts to seaballer
Thank god. Finally this has become good. /s

Advance Sonic is the most fun I've had with a character for a while. Glad to see this update come out and who knows if we'll ever get another one with new sprites :awake:

I'll go beat the campaign now
<seaballer> god DAMNIT pencil
<PencilVoid> JINX
Seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #41
Crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKnux View Post
umm.. crum is there supposed to be super sonic sprites?
No. There weren't enough originally to cover his whole moveset and they were even uglier. He only has the super flag so that he can turn yellow in NiGHTS.

In hindsight I should have just disabled the super form entirely.