• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

CRISIS CITY - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION...

1. I dind't copied the idea ​​FC.lat' of "CRISIS CITY", has been developed over two months.
My English is bad, if you find a Error, sorry.

--------------------

OK. Hello everybody. This map has been created by me, ZeroGravityDarkis (aka Darkis or Wyvern) Its inspirated for the game Sonic Generations , level Crisis City Modern Version.

...Here some photos...

srb20084.png

srb20083.png

srb20085.png

This level is not always going forward to win... You are in a city abandoned and destroyed, where you explore and find the Goal Post!

Beta Testers...

• Zuko
  • Fox (Aka TG)
Download Link ... http://www.mediafire.com/?3g7qr8jk1ij935s

Please, leave your opinion and constructive criticism so I can improve this level! Thanks!

Firstly I like the idea of you trying to create a modern sonic crisis city but it doesn't look anything like a crisis city, it looks like ruins. Where are the destroyed buildings, and the big tornado (which is possible to create using fofs or polyojects).
Furthermore you shouldn't have to tell us the theme of your level, the design in the level is suppose to give us the idea of being an abandoned city.
To improve this I say you should make it more like the Sonic 2006 Crisis City since it has more features and is more SRB2-styled due to the platforming, but do not do rails or zoomtubes otherwise it makes the gameplay a bit rubbish. Also try creating more roads (if you use srb2cb try to create sloped roads, although you can do that in normal srb2 by using lots of sectors to make stairs).
Finally get rid of those ruin textures (like those bricks) and replace them with cracked wall textures also you can find crisis city textures anywhere (I get mine from blitz sonic ultra's crisis city).

Hey not bad!

Your level is very good I like it but... You use " ruins " textures. That's what TSDude says, your level is like ruins. And like my own crisis city, it's very short and, easy. I think you must put more hazard, like torches, spike balls, and flame thrower. The sky isn't bad but, it's again for a ruin level...

Why not use the special stage 5 sky (sky 54) like my level.
And if you want I can give you a better quality for the music.

Continue to made this level... change the ruins brick textures and make it harder this should be GREAT!! For my own crisis city act 1, it's finished, I'll post it later =P

Firstly I like the idea of you trying to create a modern sonic crisis city but it doesn't look anything like a crisis city, it looks like ruins. Where are the destroyed buildings, and the big tornado (which is possible to create using fofs or polyojects).
Furthermore you shouldn't have to tell us the theme of your level, the design in the level is suppose to give us the idea of being an abandoned city.
To improve this I say you should make it more like the Sonic 2006 Crisis City since it has more features and is more SRB2-styled due to the platforming, but do not do rails or zoomtubes otherwise it makes the gameplay a bit rubbish. Also try creating more roads (if you use srb2cb try to create sloped roads, although you can do that in normal srb2 by using lots of sectors to make stairs).
Finally get rid of those ruin textures (like those bricks) and replace them with cracked wall textures also you can find crisis city textures anywhere (I get mine from blitz sonic ultra's crisis city).

Its true. Its more like a ruin level. But, thanks for the ideas, I'll put them in the next version.

Hey not bad!

Your level is very good I like it but... You use " ruins " textures. That's what TSDude says, your level is like ruins. And like my own crisis city, it's very short and, easy. I think you must put more hazard, like torches, spike balls, and flame thrower. The sky isn't bad but, it's again for a ruin level...

Why not use the special stage 5 sky (sky 54) like my level.
And if you want I can give you a better quality for the music.

Continue to made this level... change the ruins brick textures and make it harder this should be GREAT!! For my own crisis city act 1, it's finished, I'll post it later =P

Yes, it's true. Should I put those things that you say... And for the Special Stage 5 Sky (Sky54) is not a bad idea. Yes please. Could you pass me that song with better quality? :D
And your Level crisis city is cool Too!

Last edited:
No problem for the song, I have the 3 OST:

Crisis City sonic 06
Classic Crisis City
and Modern Crisis City but it seems not work on srb2 :/

Tell me the one you want and I'll upload it and give you the link by a PM ;)

- Yes I know my crisis city level is cool but, too easy and too short. That's why I add a lot of Hazard, torches and flamethrower. I'll post it when it's totally done.

No problem for the song but I have test it on a single music.wad and it crash the game: SIGNAL HANDLER 0: SEGMENT VIOLATION :/
I don't know how to made it work in srb2 without broke his high quality...
I'll upload it later because I'm actually on mapping ^^'

Just get the modern sonic music from here (it's legal).

EDIT:
TSDude said:
Ignore this I forgot that this was a beta testing (I keep thinking that it is a release).

Also the ruin textures should be replaced with rubble in my opinion.

EDIT AGAIN:
Also the sky should be like the original crisis city sky, big dark orange&brown clouds like this.

Last edited:
I know you were going for the entire "exploration" feeling, but most of the time I was just completely lost. I had looked in every nook and cranny trying to find at least a checkpoint to guide me as to where to explore, and throughout the entire level I couldn't even figure out what I was doing. When I actually figured out the goal post was actually behind a building out of sight, I felt cheated because I didn't see it through normal gameplay. I still liked some aspects of exploring everywhere though, especially when you get the whirlwind shield and can jump into buildings you previously thought were just decorations.

This level is actually kind of cool! The effort you've put into the creation of the level clearly shows, even though there are some rough spots that desperately need addressing.

1) Exploration is a great idea, but the level really just strikes me as having no sense of flow. Of course you as the designer know where to go because you designed the level. Players look for indications as to which way to proceed, and need to feel like they are making progress towards something. This level has none of that. Ring trails leading towards the goal, enemies facing away towards the direction the player is expected to come from, and sector layout (the important one) are all expected to play a role. Intentionally confusing a player who goes in not knowing what to expect is not a good design method.

2) The goal post instantly kills you while also completing the level (simple error that is likely to be addressed) and is hidden in a completely nonsensical location (not so likely). The goal needs to feel like a place the player feels proud of reaching after all that they have been through, and in this level can be reached with very very little effort on the player's part if they know what they are doing.

3) The level looks absolutely nothing like Crisis City. Since you're doing an original layout, it might be a good thing to distance yourself from Sonic 2006 as much as possible. Right now the name of the level simply does not fit the content and makes people expect very little of your work, possibly passing it over because they think it's a simple port. Don't let the quality level of that dung heap infect something you put your heart into.

As for suggestions as to how to move forwards, I can only say that every area should have a purpose. If the player can go there, he should find something there to incentivise the exploration. It doesn't have to be much, but make the player want to explore to find cool things and items instead of forcing them to explore because you don't want to hold their hand to the goal.

Boinciel said:
it might be a good thing to distance yourself from Sonic 2006 as much as possible
What do you mean by this? In certain areas Sonic 2006 did have a sort of SRB2 platforming, an example is the skyscraper, now that is a good area to copy. You can make a path for the character to go around the building and use linedef 5 (camera scanner) to add some good views of your path and where your character is heading.

This level is confusing. I spent about three minutes being lost, and I felt cheated when I found the exit. Key word "found" -- I shouldn't have to figure out where it is so much as get there. If you look at the official levels, they all have different, logical routes that lead to the exit. What you have is more of a match-type level, with an exit thrown in somewhere. This is good, but it's far from great.

EDIT: Also, the "Float" flag for rings is there for a reason.

I know you were going for the entire "exploration" feeling, but most of the time I was just completely lost. I had looked in every nook and cranny trying to find at least a checkpoint to guide me as to where to explore, and throughout the entire level I couldn't even figure out what I was doing. When I actually figured out the goal post was actually behind a building out of sight, I felt cheated because I didn't see it through normal gameplay. I still liked some aspects of exploring everywhere though, especially when you get the whirlwind shield and can jump into buildings you previously thought were just decorations.

That's the idea, exploring in the level, like in Sonic Generations (Modern Version), it has many places to explore. =P

Hahaha, yes. You can too also enter into abandoned houses =D

---

This level is confusing. I spent about three minutes being lost, and I felt cheated when I found the exit. Key word "found" -- I shouldn't have to figure out where it is so much as get there. If you look at the official levels, they all have different, logical routes that lead to the exit. What you have is more of a match-type level, with an exit thrown in somewhere. This is good, but it's far from great.

EDIT: Also, the "Float" flag for rings is there for a reason.

That's the idea for the level. Confusing the player so you can explore the abandoned city.

---

This level is actually kind of cool! The effort you've put into the creation of the level clearly shows, even though there are some rough spots that desperately need addressing.

1) Exploration is a great idea, but the level really just strikes me as having no sense of flow. Of course you as the designer know where to go because you designed the level. Players look for indications as to which way to proceed, and need to feel like they are making progress towards something. This level has none of that. Ring trails leading towards the goal, enemies facing away towards the direction the player is expected to come from, and sector layout (the important one) are all expected to play a role. Intentionally confusing a player who goes in not knowing what to expect is not a good design method.

2) The goal post instantly kills you while also completing the level (simple error that is likely to be addressed) and is hidden in a completely nonsensical location (not so likely). The goal needs to feel like a place the player feels proud of reaching after all that they have been through, and in this level can be reached with very very little effort on the player's part if they know what they are doing.

3) The level looks absolutely nothing like Crisis City. Since you're doing an original layout, it might be a good thing to distance yourself from Sonic 2006 as much as possible. Right now the name of the level simply does not fit the content and makes people expect very little of your work, possibly passing it over because they think it's a simple port. Don't let the quality level of that dung heap infect something you put your heart into.

As for suggestions as to how to move forwards, I can only say that every area should have a purpose. If the player can go there, he should find something there to incentivise the exploration. It doesn't have to be much, but make the player want to explore to find cool things and items instead of forcing them to explore because you don't want to hold their hand to the goal.

1) You're right. In the next version could put those ideas you gave me if the player can know where it is, and yes it is going on track and making progress, that's a very good idea :D

2) True, I would have to put in a better place to Goal Post and fix this bug for the Death Pit.

3) Maybe the final version will Change the Name to Level, you're right, all think is bad this level because for the bad reputation of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. (Because its a unfinished game)

Thanks Boinciel for you opinions!

---

Just get the modern sonic music from here (it's legal).

EDIT:

Ignore this I forgot that this was a beta testing (I keep thinking that it is a release).

Also the ruin textures should be replaced with rubble in my opinion.

EDIT AGAIN:
Also the sky should be like the original crisis city sky, big dark orange&brown clouds like this.

Thanks for the music in HighQuality TSDude. And for the replace textures, Maybe i do in the next version. Yeah, would rather put that style crisis city sky, big dark orange&brown clouds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back