Mystic Realm v.4.5 (scr_mysticrealm.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to finally see a version with functioning endgame bosses and black crawlas implemented in the 2nd quest. Those were pretty much the only things I were waiting for at this point.

...regarding the black crawlas though, there's nothing "classic" about the old design. It's just ugly. I went ahead and edited the 2.0.x sprites for a more up-to-date black crawla, and have the sprites and finalized wad available on the offchance that you may want to include it. However small that may be.

Last edited:
I'm gonna play it with XSRB2 because there are more saveslots. And it's kinda fun mess up with the effects :D

Last edited:
...regarding the black crawlas though, there's nothing "classic" about the old design. It's just ugly. I went ahead and edited the 2.0.x sprites for a more up-to-date black crawla, and have the sprites and finalized wad available on the offchance that you may want to include it. However small that may be.
Well, I personally would have no problem with that, although Mystic is of course the one that decides ultimately. From what Katmint reported, we'll have to do a bugfix anyway, so I see no reason why the updated sprites couldn't be included.

I'm gonna play it with XSRB2 because there are more saveslots. And it's kinda fun mess up with the effects :D

Same here. I enjoy playing as character WADs and stuff. That, and xSRB2 saves your 1UPs when playing online - perfect for playing AGZ.

It might've took months to port this. I mean, putting the right linedefs and thing numbers is going to take way too long to do this.

Putting the flats in the right place must've took a long time to do and the hidden emblem locations (Same areas as in 1.09.4) are still the same.

However, in the Mystic Realm Zone, I found a wall that had no side on it.

UPDATE: The wall I was talking about was from the 1.09.4 Mystic Realm.

(My ratings on this mod)

Jade Coast Zone Act 1
*10/10

This level is perfectly good for beginners that start to play this mod. I like the coastline scenery, but don't enjoy it too much as there are crawlas that are here to take you out.

Jade Coast Zone Act 2
*9/10

This level would make a great beach resort. (Even I would build one here after Eggman's gone for good)

Jade Coast Zone Act 3
*10/10

This level is just like the GFZ boss. Eggman doesn't know what he's doing while you're here.

Mudhole Karst Zone
*8/10

This is a good emerald stage, but beware of the mudholes that hurt you if you step in them!

Tempest Valley Zone Act 1
*7/10

There is too much poison, which can sometimes be a challenge, and a rainstorm works well here. Just beware of the buzzes that come out of nowhere.

Tempest Valley Zone Act 2
*9/10

There's a lot of buzzes here that'll try to knock you off the cliff and into the poison.

Tempest Valley Zone Act 3
*10/10

This level's easy to do. That, and for the fact that Eggman's floating over a body of poisonous water. I defeat him with caution.

Rainstorm Keep Zone
*9/10

This zone could possibly be the next Thunder Citadel. It also makes me a king when I go to the throne room that's straight ahead of the dining room.

Verdant Forest Zone Act 1
*6/10

You can easily get lost here, but this level's layout is excellent. If you know where you're going, you can clear this easily.

Verdant Forest Zone Act 2
*8/10

This level has me up in the treetops looking for the exit. This is a good effort of treetop areas.

Verdant Forest Zone Act 3
*9/10

It sounds like Eggman wants to play hide and seek in the treetops. He moves so much that he can't find a hiding place.

Labyrinth Woods Zone
*8/10

You can get lost here, but if you look at the ground and read the arrow, you can get out of this place.

Flame Rift Zone Act 1
*10/10

This valley is full of lava and one touch of the lava will give you a case of the hot foot. I also like the candles you put on the side roads.

Flame Rift Zone Act 2
*7/10

This section of the valley has mountaintops that rose out of the lava and has platforms over the lava. If you're not careful, you'll fall in the lava.

Flame Rift Zone Act 3
*8/10

It's Eggman again and this time he's using his Slimer to taint the lava like he did with the water on Techno Hill! Better beat him before the lava is fully tainted!

Mod Rating:
*10/10

This is a very excellent mod and I will play it in a netgame one day like the others. This mod has inspired to have me make a mod of my own.

Last edited:
Sorry, Ezer.Arch. I thought I saw that no wall patch.

(It came to my mind when I was playing this in 1.09.4)

Care to say where the error is? Screenshots would help.
I have a sneaking suspicion it's the same hall of mirrors that Prime has been screaming about for the past four years. At least in 4.4, after the tunnel in Mystic Realm Zone, if you turn around and look up there is a huge HOM.

srb20679.png

This? I see nothing wrong here.

I am very glad that this mod has finally been ported to 2.0. Since I only found SRB2 like 3 weeks before 2.0 came out, I only started playing the first few zones since I played other level packs. Then 2.0 came out and kinda forgot about it untill I downloaded a straight port on the MS. While playing that port I realize this wasn't a real 100% port

Then last week I finally started played the official one and I really liked it. The sonic extra stages where hard that it took a lot of my lives. Today I had all emblems and played the 2nd quest and love the blue buzzers and black crawlas. This mod wad was really fun that I was glad it was ported.

It might've took months to port this. I mean, putting the right linedefs and thing numbers is going to take way too long to do this.

Putting the flats in the right place must've took a long time to do and the hidden emblem locations (Same areas as in 1.09.4) are still the same.
You obviously have no idea how this was ported.

srb20326.png

srb20327.png

I'm told this problem in Vulcan Forge (die at the rising lava and the lava FOFs become so fouled up as to make it nigh unclearable) is quite old. Begs the question, what's it still doing in here then?

My ratings.

Jade Coast - 9/10

This is one of my favorite stages. It is a good beginning for the new player. The great bunch of secrets are awesome. What doesn't deserve a point is the song, that is sticky and annoying.

Tempest Valley - 8/10

The stage is good because of its multiple paths and secrets. The song is remarkable. What makes the stage poor is because the player is always in danger. Buzzes, Crawlas, slime here and there always almost killing the player is not a good choice for second stage.

Verdant Forest - 8/10

The song is beautiful and remarkable. The stage has a pretty design and good enemies usage. What breaks everything is that the player gets lost constantly. By myself when I was playing by the first time got lost many times.

Flame Rift - 7/10
It really needs challenges. I can end this stage in seconds with Tails, cause it's all filled with nothing. Crawlas down there, lava... Nothing more than that. Ah! There are staircases. Ah, and a cave. Torches. What saves the stage is the song.

Midnight Freeze - 7/10

The song is good, but the stage is weak. The secrets are also good, but the stage is still weak. If Sonic falls down, has to make ALL the way back to the ice platforms. It is annoying.

Sunken Plant - 10/10

One of my favs. Secrets everywhere. The song is beautiful and the design is great. Nothing negative.

Aerial Garden - 8/10

Aerial Garden is one of my favs, but the problem is the amount of Jetty-syns. However it is in the sky, it looks like it came from hell, cuz Sonic suffers toughly. Extra tiny platforms for landing and awful secrets. Help. I fell down.

Prismatic Angel - 9/10

However it is a stage for Sonic, it is good to play. It tests our skills. And the song hypnotizes. I love Prismatic Angel cuz it's colorful. Cute :3

Mystic Realm - 6/10

Kim: Beautiful song, isn't it, Kari?
Kari: Yeah. Pretty cool.
Kim: Let's get doing it. My rings are ending.
Kari: Careful there...
Kim: Damn! I released the spindash button!
Kari: Don't worry, you have 5 lives left.
Kim: Again...
Kari: Whoa! Kim, the column!
Kim: Damn! Sonic fell again!
Kari: 4 lives...
Kim: *singing Mystic Realm song*
Kari: Kim? Watch out!
Kim: Uh...
Kari: OoOo Hall of Mirrors!
Kim: Where? Ah, I released it again! Damn!
1 hour later
Kim: OoOo Egg Crystal.
Kari: Cute!
Kim: He's throwing green rings!
Kari: Can't you throw yours?
Kim: *facepalm*
Kari: Nevermind. Going to the kitchen.
Kim: I will play EHF.
These were my ratings :D

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, is there a standard musicslot for the track on midnight freeze? Track 140 seems to be a remix of it, but the tune in this mod is different.

My only question is why the Master emerald remains just a static object rather than a black emerald collectible. Did it make Mystic Realm's boss far too easy? Was it far too pointless a collectible at that late in the game?

Still seems like a fair trade off to attain hyper sonic for a single purpose. Trust me, people are bozos with the whole invisible-floor deal, and I doubt they'd even get to that room in the first place with the need for the hidden switch early in the stage, that only a few-out-of-majority even know about. And if the problem is tails and knux finding it first and spoiling it for sonic, just keep the room blocked off entirely for them. (I've not checked recently, so maybe this is already in place?)

I dunno, it just seems kind of a douche move to dangle the hyper form only to yank it away. Yes, there's a reward regardless, but it feels kind of silly not to actually collect the real reward.

I still feel baffled that it was removed, since all the way back when it WAS first removed. :x

That and I wonder why the lava is water. Yes, I get it's a direct port, but what the heck is the difference, other than Vulcan Forge being an absolute douche for no reason.

Last edited:
The black emerald doesn't exist anymore, so I couldn't add it back even if I wanted to (which I don't)

because Hyper Sonic got taken out and durring 1.09.4, the black emerald would only work when given to you by Red XVI on GFZ act 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back