[Open Assets] The Emerald Isles, v. 2.6 (2.0 updated June 29)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuja

http://www.4shared.com/file/2K6WwJXW/scr_TEI26.html
(2.6 mirror)(23.9 Mb)

Hi all,

So I had put this on hiatus due to lack of will, but I've finally decided to resume work on it. Many things had stopped working in the conversion, but I've managed to fix most, if not all of them. For more information on this level pack, see my old topic here:
http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=23608&

That's all I have to say for now. Any questions, bug reports, whatever. Tell me about them.

Oh one thing I'd like to mention. If you come to the Blaze Canyon boss, I included both versions of the water level. Old one is to the left, but it's not really supported anymore.

Attachments

• scr_TEI26.rar
    9.9 MB · Views: 3,282
Last edited:
Meh, I expected more, to be honest. This was my absolute favorite in 1.09.4, and I even regularly played the first three zones after 2.0 was released. But this port just feels unnecessary, and even unspectacular. The same old enemies in every level, the same old (and sometimes ugly) textures, etc. You didn't even take advantage of anything 2.0 has to offer (apart from some very questionable music choices and a few waterslides here and there). You even removed the sinking FOFs that have springs underneath them in Blaze Canyon Act 1, and replaced them with regular springs. I also find the colormap in ALZ1 utterly weird.

Bottom line: I'd rather play the 1.09.4 version. What I'd really like to have is a real port to 2.0 that takes advantage of what it has to offer.

srb20035-1.png

I see you haven't taken advantage of a certain linedef called Linedef Type 7 yet. =P

I see you haven't taken advantage of a certain linedef called Linedef Type 7 yet. =P

Oh hay, when did this get put into releases? Oh well. Guess I'll go from here. Yeah, I'll get to work on it for a future version.

And yes, it's a port. This is nothing more than a lolbugfix version. I've resumed work on it, so not much has changed here.

Last edited:
Finnaly. I've been waiting this for months. Wow! Amazing as 1094's. However, the music at the last level is supposed to Sonic and Knux pyramid music, not CEZ1.

Last edited:
Lovely, brilliant, great! My only dislike is the wintery level (forgot name), as it can be annoying at points.
Flaze Canyon Zone Act 1 is the best, the 2nd Act is slightly hard to navigate such as when I can't see to the right or left at points and fall.

Meh, I expected more, to be honest. This was my absolute favorite in 1.09.4, and I even regularly played the first three zones after 2.0 was released. But this port just feels unnecessary, and even unspectacular. The same old enemies in every level, the same old (and sometimes ugly) textures, etc. You didn't even take advantage of anything 2.0 has to offer (apart from some very questionable music choices and a few waterslides here and there). You even removed the sinking FOFs that have springs underneath them in Blaze Canyon Act 1, and replaced them with regular springs. I also find the colormap in ALZ1 utterly weird.

Bottom line: I'd rather play the 1.09.4 version. What I'd really like to have is a real port to 2.0 that takes advantage of what it has to offer.

Fully agree, the most important things to improve level designs amd make them unique are welol done gimmicks, so I don't know why you've decided to replace the sinking FOF's wth regular old springs, or is that something that went wrong in the conversion? Either way the sinking FOF's need to be put back.

Fully agree, the most important things to improve level designs amd make them unique are welol done gimmicks, so I don't know why you've decided to replace the sinking FOF's wth regular old springs, or is that something that went wrong in the conversion? Either way the sinking FOF's need to be put back.

Unless there's a way to keep sprites below a FOF, I'm afraid not. The real reason I removed the springs in both acts was because they would bug out if you stood on them(The sinking FoF) for too long. But if it means that much to you guys, I'll try and find another way to implement it. This goes for a lot of the things I had to tweak in some of the levels; some things just became broken in the port.

On a side note, I'm fixing the flat issues with the boxes, and am currently working on the waterblock issues I'm having with ALZ1/2.

Last edited:
Playing this mod, I have found it to be what I hoped for, yet dreaded: It is almost exactly the same as it was when it last came out for 1.09.4.

While this action has preserved the quality it was at that time, this also means that it has not improved any. In comparison to the newer levels and gimmicks that can be achieved with the newer engine, this mod seems lackluster.

Although I appreciate the level of time that you have put into porting this mod into the newer engine, to the point of actually fixing the errors that the included level converter has, along with not abusing the gimmicks (Tortured Planet), I can't say it has stood the test of time quite well.

For now, I think you should focus on what you have. Some bug fixing where you can find any (I couldn't), and then some time revamping some of the levels (Shale Village comes to mind here) to take advantage of the newer engine.

In other words, paraphrasing everyone else here.

I noticed the emblems. Could I recommend you stick them in better places? The first zone in particular had dead-simple Tails emblems.

This was one of my favourites level packs in SRB2 v1.09.4, but now it needs a lot of improvements.
First of all you have to change the order of the zones like this:
·Emerald isles
·Shalle village (it needs improvements, seriously)
·Twilight path
·Sandtrap dunes
·Blaze Canyon
·Aquatic Labirinth
·???

Also you have to fix the musci problems ACZ act 2 music is use in two different levels, some levels need to be overhauled, it needs more texture varition, and you should change or edit the bosses.

Honestly, this is a nice mod. I mean, I liked it in the previous version, but like others said, you don't really take advantage of all the new features. Also, I do want to add to that, that I think you need some more custom music for your stages. Or at least, not the default srb2 music. I guess this is just a minor nitpick of mine, but I think if you're going to do something like this, you should at least include more custom music. At least something not default to srb2.

Curiosity has killed the cat. At the end of Blaze Canyon, I went to the left entering. To Aqua Labyrinth. I wonder where I would go if i kept walking forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back