New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. They just had to keep the skinny unclassical Sonic. I really wanted like a next-gennier retro version of Sonic. Black-eyed, small and stubby, short hair. Just more graphical.

http://sonicstadium.org/news/three-clean-screenshots-from-the-sonic-4-trailer

sonic4ep1_0031.jpg

Huh, where'd they hide THIS model? It's much better looking...

Also, am I the only person not hating the Adventure Sonic being used and seeing this more like the Sonic series version of New Super Mario Bros? And guys, remember, the running speed wasn't that fast back in the day either; it was mostly the rolling & momentum gimmicks that gave your speed.

Last edited:
I swear I almost cried when I heard the trailer yell SEGA( I always loved hearing it while playing SA2B and mega collection.)! Also, I personally don't care about the design... just the epicness...

I actually quite like that they used Adventure Sonic... I mean... Classic Sonic could be a nice touch, but it could draw fans from both old and new Sonic and get them to agree on the same things for once.
Also, the cell-shading looks lovely. Reminds me a whole lot of Sonic Shuffle.

http://sonicstadium.org/news/three-clean-screenshots-from-the-sonic-4-trailer

sonic4ep1_0031.jpg

Also, am I the only person not hating the Adventure Sonic being used and seeing this more like the Sonic series version of New Super Mario Bros? And guys, remember, the running speed wasn't that fast back in the day either; it was mostly the rolling & momentum gimmicks that gave your speed.

I agree, what's this "speed" that everyone wanted? Sonic 1, 2 and 3 were as slow as hell, not so much 3 though but still pretty slow. Also, I like the model, it reflects the sides that SEGA is coming from. Also in that picture, it looks like a 3D Sonic on a 2D background, I would've liked a full 3D background taking full advantages of the rendering. If it's Splash Hill, then it shouldn take full advantage of the mist and that of the waterfalls hitting the ground. Some different camera rotations when a boss appears would be cool.

I believe the biggest question is the running animation.
Will his arms be in front of him like sonics 1-3 or behind him like CD, Adventure, etc?
What has been shown so far looks to be a jog instead of a run.

Thing is, I'm afraid they'll make it usual WiiWare quality and hardly put any effort in it. I mean, look at those animations...they kinda look crappy and rushed, don't they? And I have a feeling the engine's not gonna be so smooth either.

Since they'll be selling this for maybe 10 bucks at most in the WiiWare's case, does anybody really expect something as well worked out as Sonic 3? I'm having my doubts.

Even though this is slightly off the topic.. Blah Blah Werehog

See, reasonable posts about what makes it good and bad isn't a problem. Sure its not always easy to swallow the way people around here express it, but I'd rather swallow a hard-to-take valid concern than drama of any sort. The difference between people raising valid speculation about what the gameplay will be like, and what the addition of homing attack will mean and people whining about Sonic's green eyes and nitpicking three seconds of gameplay. (don't mind nitpicking and speculation, but I'm totally lost on the fancy discussions about how the layout of the speed gimmicks are just so and how that shows the design direction for the entire game et cetera)

Anyway, so that we don't end up going back and forth over the green eyes as long as SSMB... I found the Q&A on Gamespot HERE.

KB: Sonic as a brand is definitely not moving away from our packaged console versions. Making Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I for download is just a new way to offer a great Sonic experience through a different medium.

I know I've said this before, but when you've got a fanbase as divided as the Sonic fandumb, you really want to deliver on multiple fronts. I've always liked the idea of having different teams work on off-the-wall games like the storybook series, the rush series, the mainstream console games like Unleashed, and the likes of this to pull that off.

We're going to deliver a Genesis-era Sonic game as if it were created today that goes to the core of what classic Sonic fans desire. This means [the fan] gets to judge us on our work each step of the way, and we plan on delivering that goal in a big way

So they'll learn from their mistakes and remove the green irises in episode 2. In all seriousness, this sounds like a good enough plan, but I wouldn't bank on a ton of helpful input on the part of the fans based on some of the stuff I've seen already.
Although lately I've been quite surprised by game companies actually directly answering an audience's concerns. Sonic Team's mentions about momentum and the like show that at least they've heard some of the concerns... if they don't follow-through at least we know this time they tried. Nintendo's been spilling the beans on some of their valuable properties just to shut IGN up. And Spirit Tracks is an excellent example of how to improve on a game for a sequel.

I guess I can't say like I did before that we "won't be getting Sonic 4", but I'll reiterate with corrected vocabulary "we won't be getting Sonic 3 Mk II". I'll be happy if its Rush without boost. Even a linear hold-right-to-win setup (which is an oversimplification of Rush imo) becomes more interesting if you don't have a boost button to help you along.
However, I do hope for Sonic Team's sake that they do find ways to bring that into perspective for the classic sonic fans. Bringing back Green Hill Zone is an excellent start, hopefully there'll be some more nods to the originals.

I'm with you

I'm wondering, why has everyone said there's homing attack in the trailer?
To me it just seems to be that when you roll, sonic leaves a blue trail. I don't see any evidence to back it up as a homing attack...
Also the rolling thing fits in with the intro of the trailer.

GS: As far as gameplay goes, should we expect classic old-school Sonic 2D mechanics or something new added into the mix?
KB:
All the Sonic favorites [are] here for sure! Spin dash, power sneakers, etc. But you will also see the homing attack added, and in true Sonic fashion, you can compete with your friends for the fastest level times through leaderboards.
SOURCE

Armed with his signature Speed, super Spin Dash - and powerful Homing Attack, Sonic is ready for an all-new adventure!
SOURCE (Characters -> Featured)

Here you go Ultimate. Homing attack is in the game, but there's no indication yet how it's gonna be used. I'm hoping for something akin to SRA's handling of it personally.

Thing is, I'm afraid they'll make it usual WiiWare quality and hardly put any effort in it. I mean, look at those animations...they kinda look crappy and rushed, don't they? And I have a feeling the engine's not gonna be so smooth either.

Since they'll be selling this for maybe 10 bucks at most in the WiiWare's case, does anybody really expect something as well worked out as Sonic 3? I'm having my doubts.

How do you even know that's the wiiware version?

Well, the TRAILER animations yes, but not the actual 3 seconds of gameplay. And it's not just WiiWare, it's XBLA, PSN, and the iPhone too. I dunno about the iPhone version, but I do recall reading that the WiiWare version is just graphically toned down and with some motion segments (which the PSN version will also have).

The new info is... The intro!

Story thus far:
It began as Sonic's animal friends begin disappearing from South Island. Soon Sonic discovers that evil scientist Dr. Eggman has been kidnapping them and turning them into robots to collect the legendary treasure - The Chaos Emeralds. Sonic decides it's up to him to save them and embarks on a quest to free his animal friends. Sonic battles Eggman through many different zones. Sonic eventually pursues Eggman to Final Zone where the first in many epic battles between them begins. In the end Sonic is victorious and Eggman's Mecha fly's away badly damaged. Sonic returns to Green Hill Zone and re-unites with his friends.

Their reunion is short lived however, as Eggman resurfaces and begins kidnapping Sonic friends again, in an effort to create more workers to finish his ultimate Weapon - The Death Egg! Teaming up with the newly met, Miles 'Tails' Prower, Sonic embarks on a new mission through West Side Island in an effort to free his friends and ensure Eggman does not obtain the 7 Chaos emeralds to fuel the Death Egg.

Once the West Side Island is freed, Sonic and Tails eventually board the Tornado and assault the Death Egg itself. After destroying Mecha Sonic, Eggman flees and enters his new Eggman Robot attacking Sonic! After a heated battle Sonic destroys the Eggman Robot and the Death Egg begins to explode.

Sonic and Tails fly down and come across mysterious island called Angel Island. This island is floating by the power of the precious stone called Master Emerald, but now this mysterious island are dropping down to the ocean surface because the Death Egg had been falling on this island. Sonic and Tails are attacked by a Red Echidna named Knuckles the guardian of the island.

Knuckles steals the Chaos emeralds from Sonic, being tricked by Eggman that he is an enemy come to take the Master Emerald.While Sonic and Tails are entangled by Knuckles, Eggman repairs the Death Egg and preps it for launch.
Sonic manages to jump on Death Egg just as it's flying off. After confronting Eggman on the Death Egg, Sonic defeats Eggman once more and the Death Egg plummets back to Angel Island.

Back on the ground Dr. Eggman begins the repairing Death Egg again. Feeling Knuckles has served his purpose, he sends EggRobo to eliminate this potential threat. EggRobo finds Knuckles relaxing in Mushroom Zone and drops a bomb on him but Knuckles manages to survive. Enraged, the Wild Echidna sets off to defeat EggRobo. Meanwhile Sonic and Tails explore the island to find traces of the Death Egg and find out Eggman's fate. After and Epic showdown between Sonic and Knuckles, Eggman uses the opportunity to finally steal the Master Emerald and re-launches the Death Egg. With the power of the emeralds, Sonic goes after Eggman, who has taken the Master Emerald into space.

Sonic and Tails secure the Master Emerald and return it to Knuckles on Angel Island. With it's power restored, the Angel Island lifts off into the sky as Sonic and Tails fly off into the sunset.
But this humiliating defeat only serves to further Eggman's rage, and he has determined once and for all to rid himself of Sonic. Eggman revisits - and improves - the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.
And so a new Adventure begins...

Apperently Silver Sonic's name really is Mecha Sonic and they are still saying Eggman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back