This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Latius

Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter
In the event I do not log in for a month and cannot be contacted, I give blanket permission for Kart Krew and their appointed staff to coordinate and approve the porting and maintenance of my SRB2Kart releases on the SRB2MB, except where stated otherwise. I reserve the right to ask for those ports to be taken down or replaced if I return. You may not edit my work to create other content (such as Original Characters or Remix Stages) unless specified.

This permission does not include this addon.

attachment.php

Welcome to Daytona Kart, a heavily modified form of my Countdown Mode which aims to replicate the feel of arcade game like Daytona USA, OutRun and Initial D Arcade Stage.

How does Daytona Kart work?

Daytona Kart adds a time limit to the start of the stage, shown at the top of the screen. This shows how much time you have left before you lose control of your car and get a Time Over - if you don't get lucky and cross the finish line before you fully stop, as you gain more time for completing laps.

For the base 55 maps which came with Kart 1.0, the time limits were originally based on the silver medal times for Time Attack, with the Time Extensions being based on the fastest laps for that track. Other maps, like the Map Hell ones and the new community cup, have their times based on some testing. Thanks to some help, most of the maps have better time limits which can be met during normal races.

For custom maps, there is a default 120 seconds with an extra 30 seconds added for each lap completed, but custom map makers (and/or those making map packs for servers) can include two Lua variables to add in to determine these - lua.arcadetime for the base time, and lua.arcadebonus for the time bonus gained for each lap.

However, these base time limits and bonuses can be further modified, as Daytona Kart has 5 difficulty modes:

• Easiest: Gain a bonus 30% of the base time and time extensions. Great for getting to learn a track!
  • Easy: Only a 15% bonus, but it's good if you're struggling to complete a lap on Normal.
  • Normal: The default Daytona Kart Experience. This is what the timer is locked to for Record Attack.
  • Hard: Time limits are tighter, with 5 seconds taken off your starting time, and 2 seconds taken off the time you get for completing a lap.
  • Expert: The hardest challenge of Daytona Kart. 10 seconds off of your starting time, and 5 seconds less from Time Extensions. Only for those who are experts at the game.
  • Master: Oh, wait, did I say 5 difficulty modes? Not anymore, as Master Mode is here from Version 1.4 - cutting your starting time by an extra 10 seconds compared to Expert. Otherwise, it's basically the same as Expert.
  • Custom: New to V1.7, Custom Mode lets you fine-tune the difficulty, through arcade_timermod and arcade_laptimermod to fine-tune the starting and lap bonus times, adding up to 60 seconds to the base time, up to 20 seconds per lap, and/or cutting the starting time by up to 30 seconds at the base level and/or 20 seconds per time extension.

Heads Up Display:
attachment.php

Custom Variables which the player can alter:
  • arcade_speed: Determines what speedometer type to use. Default Miles. Can be Disabled, Miles, Kilometers, Meters, Fracunits, Knots or Feet.
  • arcade_tenthspeed: Shows or hides the tenths of the speed. Default On.
  • arcade_capto99: Caps the shown time limit to 99. Default Off. (There is a secret setting to this, and some HUD styles will have this auto-set)
  • arcade_placezero: Shows a leading zero in 10+ player races. Default Off.
  • arcade_instupdate: Determines if the timer instantly updates whenever time is added, both at the start of a race and after completing a lap, or if it ticks up at a rate of 5s/4frames at the start, and 1s/2frames once a lap is completed. Default On.
  • arcade_hud: New to Version 1.1, this allows you to determine which HUD mode you want to use. This defaults to the Battle Mania Hud, however, there are other settings which it can be set to, with more intended to come in later versions.
  • arcade_hpmod_bar: Determines if the custom-made HP bars are shown when combined with the HP Mod. Defaults to On/
  • arcade_hpmod_spbar: ???. Defaults to Off.

Server based Custom Variables:
  • arcade: Turns the Arcade Mode on and off. Default On. (Added in V1.0.2)
  • arcade_diff: Sets the timer difficulty to one of the five difficulties mentioned prior. Default Normal.
  • arcade_sneaker: When on, items will be limited to Sneakers, Thunder Shields, Hyudoros, Invincibility and maybe Kitchen Sinks. Default On.
  • arcade_compathud: Compacts the HUD so that it won't get in the way of other game mode HUD stuff. Default Off. [Added in v1.7]
  • arcade_extratimermod: Determines how much extra starting time per lap to add on races with non-standard lap counts.This bonus would be rounded to the nearest 5 seconds after taking the extra laps into account before being applied. Default 8, Range 5 - 25 [Added in v1.7]

Current HUD settings:
  • Daytona - The classic Daytona Kart look, with the rev counter and such. Added in Pre-Version 1. Is useable in Splitscreen.
  • WarioLand - Based on Wario Land 4 in a sense, including the classic 'hurry up' timer. Added in Version 1.1. Is useable in Splitscreen.
  • HatInTime - A slightly modified version of the Daytona HUD with the timer from A Hat In Time's Train Rush mode. Added in Version 1.1.1 - thanks to Fav from the Kart Krew Discord for their timer sprite used here! This was removed in Version 1.4
  • BattleMania - Inspired by the Battle on the Edge rev counter but in a Sonic Mania style. Added in Version 1.3. Is NOT useable currently in Splitscreen.
  • PizzaTower - A modified version of the Wario Land 4 HUD using the Pizza Tower timer. Added in Version 1.7, Is NOT currently useable in splitscreen.
  • Wangan - Before the Maximum Tune games, there was Wangan Midnight, an arcade racer which used elements of Tokyo Xtreme Racer's SP system. This HUD style keeps the general layout of the other HUDs, having the health bar at the bottom of the screen, but is otherwise based off of it. Added in Version 1.7. Is compatible with Splitscreen.

NEW TO VERSION 1.7! While DaytonaKart is currently not compatible with BattlePlus, it is now compatible with the normal Battle modes, and even includes a new battle mode of its own: First Blood. To best work with First Blood, the standard time limit should be disabled, as First Blood has its own time limit... which starts once First Blood is drawn, gaining the attacker 2 bonus points for doing so.

attachment.php

DaytonaKart uses a table to determine the time limits of each map. This is split into two parts: the Base Time Limit, which is what the racers start with at the start of the race, and the Bonus Time, which is how much extra time they get per lap.
Map Makers, you can use LUA.arcadetime to set the base time limit and LUA.arcadebonus to set the bonus time. These will be rounded up to the nearest 5s, and have limits - LUA.arcadetime (with one exception) must be between 30 and 180, which represent 30 seconds and 3 minutes respectively, while LUA.arcadebonus must not only be between 10 and 90, but must be smaller than or equal to LUA.arcadetime as well.
If you feel like your map should have a fixed time limit, there are two ways to go about it. The first (and recommended) is to use LUA.noextension - this will automatically give all of the time bonuses from laps before the race starts. This gives the flexibility of allowing servers the ability to change the number of laps and still have a time limit which works out. The second one is to use LUA.arcadeboss - which should only be used if, for example, the map has a built-in time limit which, when exceeded, would end the match instantly.
Server Owners and Admins, you can use the function setmaptime(int map#, int basetime, int bonustime, bool override) to set or override a map's time limit. When a map is first played without their times already stored, their times will be stored in the table, or the default times would be stored in the case of maps with no preset time, but this allows you to either put values in first or (by setting override) override them with your own.
Also, DaytonaKart is able to be Record Attacked akin to Sneakerless Kart, and has the ability for people to set a Gold and Silver time through the use of LUA.arcadegold and LUA.arcadesilver - the Silver time should be in seconds, while the Gold time must be in Tics.

Also, make sure to check out the DaytonaKart Aftermarket addon mod, which adds in more timings to other tracks!

Thanks to LunarRay for providing the voice clips, and a bunch of others who I've credited in the Lua file.

Currently Supported Mods:

HP Mod (Has its own HP bars in three different styles)
TSRB2KR (Used in LunaRay's TSR server)
Splits
Friendmod

Mods which are known not to work with DaytonaKart as of V1.7.1:

BattlePlus
Countdown (Timing conflicts)
Sneakerless RA (Technically already bolted into DaytonaKart, so no need to add in this mod as well, otherwise it might break)

Supporters / Co-Authors:

Attachments

• kart0118.png
    kart0118.png
    181 KB · Views: 731
  • kart0116.png
    kart0116.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 624
  • kart0115.png
    kart0115.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 607
  • kart0114.png
    kart0114.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 585
  • kart0112.png
    kart0112.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 736
  • kart0111.png
    kart0111.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 580
  • kart0110.png
    kart0110.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 674
  • kart0198.png
    kart0198.png
    164 KB · Views: 438
  • kl_daytonakart-v1.3.pk3
    829.8 KB · Views: 308
  • kl_daytonakart-v1.3.1.pk3
    834.7 KB · Views: 297
  • kl_daytonakart-v1.4.pk3
    839.1 KB · Views: 252
  • kl_daytonakart-v1.4.1.pk3
    839.6 KB · Views: 273
  • kl_daytonakart-v1.4.2.pk3
    839.8 KB · Views: 246
  • kl_daytonakart-v1.5.3.pk3
    840.6 KB · Views: 256
  • kl_daytonakart-v1.5.4.pk3
    840.6 KB · Views: 226
  • kl_daytonakart-v1.5.5.pk3
    840.9 KB · Views: 234
  • kl_daytonakart-v1.5.6.pk3
    840.8 KB · Views: 248
  • kl_daytonakart-v1.6.pk3
    842 KB · Views: 251
  • kart0253.png
    kart0253.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 427
  • kl_daytonakart-v1.6.1.pk3
    842.1 KB · Views: 476
  • DaytonaKart Logo.png
    DaytonaKart Logo.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 8,453
  • DaytonaHUD_Race.jpg
    DaytonaHUD_Race.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 8,612
  • DaytonaHUD_Race-Wangan.jpg
    DaytonaHUD_Race-Wangan.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 386
  • DaytonaHUD_Battle.jpg
    DaytonaHUD_Battle.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 7,101
  • kl_daytonakart-v1.7.1.pk3
    2.7 MB · Views: 366
Last edited by a moderator:
Version History:

Pre-V1.0 - A private Beta was made, with the most recent one being Beta 1.2.4 which was finished on the 23rd of January, 2019. This was practically complete but hadn't been released before on the message board.

V1.0.0 - This version updated to take advantage of Kart V1.1's new values, such as the ability to get the numlaps variable and use that to do the lap counter.

V1.0.1 - Tested on a server on the 31st of May, 2019, this version added in the arcade_instupdate function, and when disabled, it allowed the time limit to increase over time. The screenshots come from this test.

V1.0.2 - Released on the 3rd of June, this patch fixes issues with lua.arcadetime and lua.arcadebonus while also adding the ability to turn the Arcade Mode on and off. You still get the announcer at the start of a race or battle, though, even if it's turned off.

V1.0.3 - Released on the 5th of June, this small patch adjusts Kart's countdown timer to expire after 600 seconds - hopefully long enough for either everyone else to finish or run out of time, except in extreme cases.

V1.1 - Added in a new HUD style based on the Wario Land 4 game's timer. And possibly some minor fixes which I forgot about.

V1.1.1 - A slight preview in a way of another mod I'm making in the form of the Hat in Time HUD version now added in, but also the HUDs with the Daytona Speedometer now also serve a purpose during the countdown, as they show how much charge you have towards a start boost. Try to just about enter the red for the best possible start!

V1.2 - Thanks to the help of LunarRay and MrNim, the base time limits for both the Map Hell and some of the normal maps have been improved. Also, we now have our own announcer, voiced by LunarRay themselves!

V1.2.1 - A patch to fix something spotted wrong with the Wario Land HUD

V1.3 - Adds in the Battle Mania HUD style!

V1.3.1 - A bug fix for starting a new round when everyone had Time Overed in the previous round, plus HitFeed compatibility is added - If you run out of time, it'll announce it, and again when you've been eliminated due to it.

V1.4 - A few things are cut, like the Hat in Time version of the timer, but a few other things are added. Including a custom HP bar in WarioLand style for the HP mod, Master Mode difficulty, and some bug fixes.

V1.4.1 - Some server-based bug fixes, and adds integration with the Team Sonic Racing mod - in that case, your team shares your timer and being the one to extend it grants your team some Ultimate charge!

V1.4.2 -Two new features are added which can be toggled by map variables: removing Time Extensions, and locking the HUD to a specific style for a specific map. Mainly intended to lock Mania Special Stages to the BattleMania Hud, and any Wario Land-themed stages to the Wario Land HUD.

V1.5 - This should fully fix the TSR mod integration, plus it also adds in a few bits to allow server hosts to add in or even correct the time limits of maps that don't have their time limits set in the SOC.

V1.5.3 - A quick bugfix from the V1.5 version (which bugfixes mistakes in V1.5.1 and V1.5.2 which I missed)

V1.5.4 - Fixes an issue due to 'tsr_finishtimer' not being reset by the TSR mod, which this mod was used to check the state of if the round had ended.

V1.5.5 - A complete overhaul of how the game collects and stores map times, as well as the ability to preset and override map times with the setmaptime command

V1.5.6 - Makes sure that setmaptime respects the limits of the starting and bonus times.

V1.6 - Finally, not only is split-screen supported but also a bunch of bugs have been patched!

V1.6.1 - A few minor fixes, mainly for spectators.

V1.7 - A bunch of beta tests, leading up to V1.7.0 - but a bug was spotted. The new HUD overviews came from these versions

V1.7.1 - Public release of the Battles and Records Update, adding in the Wangan and Pizza Tower HUD styles, as well as Record Attack medals and the First Blood game type for Battle.

V1.8 - Added in the LRayMAX Hud style, which was forced for the first LunarRay/Live Tournament on the 1st of May, 2021 - congrats to Etsii who won the tournament by a margin of a single point! Also added in a new function meant mainly for the tournament.

Last edited:
Could have the original voice clips from Daytona USA e.e
But the rest of the mod is just awesome! The tension when the time is ending is the same from the arcade, nice one!

V1.0.2 update is now live!

Changes from V1.0.1:

• Fixed some issues with the Lua variables so that they work properly now.
  • Added a toggle to turn Arcade Mode on and off
  • Because it felt strange to hear the 'Start your Engines!' at the start of a map, but not the countdown, I've added that to non-Arcade Mode races and also to Battle Mode.

Two updates today - first, Three Seven Speedway is now Daytona Kart Approved. This means that it's all set up perfectly and will work well in your servers.

Second, a small patch to V1.0.3 now that I found out how to fiddle with the end of level countdown. I can't yet disable it, but what I can do is set it very high.

Still no custom results screen, but V1.1 is now out with a new HUD style:
attachment.php

Attachments

• kart0141.png
    kart0141.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 8,358
Could have the original voice clips from Daytona USA e.e
But the rest of the mod is just awesome! The tension when the time is ending is the same from the arcade, nice one!
It has the voice clips from Daytona USA 2 though, so technically they are from the OG Daytona, maybe? i dont know

Umm, something is up with the Wario Land HUD. When the player is currently placed outside the top 3 while using the HUD, it will end in "rd", as in "4rd", though it is supposed to end in "th", as in "4th".
kart1408.png

Ah, right! Yeah, I just realised I didn't set the default to "TH" with that. I've fixed that in the 1.2.1 patch.

A new version, with a new HUD style. Still no split-screen support as of yet, but now the new HUD style does feel more like Daytona 2: Battle On The Edge

I wanted to make DaytonaKart compatible with a few other mods, so I've gone and done so. HitFeed is now supported, and not only that, if the HP Mod is on and you're in the Wario Land HUD style... You have your own custom HP bar.

Plus, you know, I found a bug while testing the HitFeed stuff, so I patched that as well. As one does.

Update to V1.4, which includes a few tweaks... And the first time that I decided to cut a HUD style from the pack. But mainly because the Hat in Time style is better off for Kart Rush.

Bug fixing is not easy, but when issues come up in a server about the mod, I have to fix it. And turns out the HP mod integration wasn't fully fixed, so fixed that, while adding in integration with the TSRB2KR mod as well, making the HUD work with it plus giving racers Ultimate charge for being the one to extend the time limit for their team!

Seeing the release of the Golden Passage map in one of the map packs makes me realise that sometimes, some maps are just suited to certain HUD styles. Plus, some maps might want to have a single time limit which is not extended on lap completions but can be increased or decreased by the number of laps one has to take. So I came up with a few things in Version 1.4.2:

Code:
LUA.noextension  - Only use this line if you intend to 'disable' the Time Extensions, and instead apply them all at the start of the race.
LUA.forcehud - This has four variations: forcehud, forcedefaulthud, forcewariohud and forcemaniahud. You should only use one of these four options - preferably the latter three, although the first one lets you put in the hud type number in (1 being Daytona, 2 being Wario Land 4, 3 being Battle Mania)

Attachments

• kart0228.png
    kart0228.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 287
A slight bug with the Wario Land HUD: On the second frame of GO, the time left increases by 1 second, only for that extra second to be lost on the very next tic.

kart0009.gif

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back