Circuit Level Rotation - 2.1 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I see, somehow I was unable to visualize it. Well, that would sort of work, but it would also mean there'd have to be an extremely long, empty hallway to connect the areas. Frankly, I think the teleporter is preferable to that.

Now I know this might cause some drama or something, but I feel I have to say it. (And before I say it, I just want to point out that I don't suck on springs, and I usually find them pretty enjoyable.)

Why the HECK is Not a Thokfest Zone in this pack? It may be a funny joke, but for a serious map, it's pretty painful. It's the same dull concept all the way through, except for the silly part where you have to hit the yellow springs and avoid the red ones. Even there, the yellow springs make you hit the wall a lot of the time, because it's a bit too low.
No offense to Katmint at all, but I have the feeling that if Katmint (who loves his spring blocks) had made this map, and not Mystic, it would be generally hated.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think that with the right ideas, such as some other Anti-Thokfest Obstacles, this map could become a lot better. But in it's current state? I don't believe it should be here.

I disagree. It's a good joke, and if you're good, the map is shorter than you might. But yeah, the part with the red springs that you have to avoid should be tweaked so that the ceilings aren't quite as low. It can be really hard to get the necessary momentum if you're just a tiny bit too slow.

But yeah, the part with the red springs that you have to avoid should be tweaked so that the ceilings aren't quite as low. It can be really hard to get the necessary momentum if you're just a tiny bit too slow.
Thirded. It might even be impossible with characters that have low aerial maneuverability. The ceiling should be as low as possible while being high enough so that players bouncing on yellow springs don't make contact with it at all.

I understand it's a joke map, but this map should be improved some before I can begin to like it being included in 2.1.
Yeah, it needs to be about 20% cooler.

In all seriousness, you can complain about the map all you like, but if you say it needs to be improved, at least say what needs improving.

I think by improved they mean adding less Springfest, or adding more interesting obstacles. At least, that's what I think.

In all seriousness, you can complain about the map all you like, but if you say it needs to be improved, at least say what needs improving.

Perhaps the fact that the whole level is the same quick to get boring gimmick, over and over again? I know, that's the point of it, but to me, it is also the major reason it shouldn't be included.
That's my main complaint, but there is also the fact that it seems like a long way between checkpoints in a map with so much falling.
And, of course, the problem of it being pretty much impossible to play in any relatively minor C-Lag. Now, I know we can't cater everything to people that live far away, but isn't this a bit overboard? Now, I was playing in Hinote's CS server, so there was no C-Lag, but I don't imagine CS is going to ever become the standard.

A few complaints with the choices.

Sonic Circuit Zone -
I like the slick new texture job that it's been given, but it doesn't save it from showing off race mode's main flaw, e.g. there being no reason to choose tails or knuckles. Even disregarding that, it's nothing more than a completely featureless circle that feels out of place with the other, more unique maps.

Rainbow Dash Zone - Pony reference aside, this map is literally nothing more than a few FOF's hovering over a pit. It's a bit more creative and requires more skill than Sonic Circuit, but it still manages to have the same problems, and more. Because of the lives system, any type of clag is likely to result in lives lost for everyone, and game overs are certainly not enjoyable in any form. Now, if you had infinite lives in circuit, that would alleviate this problem.

Not a Thokfest Zone - This was funny enough when it was in the OLDC. The fact that it's going to be an official map is not funny at all. This is the one map that netgame hosts are going to want to skip, or their clients are just going to beg for the map to be changed the entire time. It's really not that fun of a map. Sonic Circuit and Rainbow Dash both manage to be more enjoyable than this even with their problems. Its inclusion seems more like a bad joke than anything.

Okay, so that fixes that problem. It's still a rather uninteresting platforming map, though.

I'm beginning to suspect that people who are shooting Not A Thokfest down are doing so because of their lack of skill in maneuvering the character during spring jumps, similarly how the majority of people frowned whenever Slumber Circuit loaded up. That alone makes me want it in 2.1 even more, so it actually gets played and people might figure out that there is just as much to perfect about it as there is about thokking.

Actually, I didn't like Slumber Circuit because it takes so long, but Not A Thokfest takes long too and I like it. Weird :S

Last edited:
MAPR0: Race Alley Zone: --------

Unchanged, no complaints.

MAPR1: Sonic Circuit Zone: Leave It

So apparently this map was here back in 1.09.4. I can definitely see why it was removed, but I wonder why it's back on here...? Sure, the spikes make it a bit less than a thokfest, but the lack of Knuckles/Tails paths whatsoever makes them completely useless. Thus making this a boring Sonic-only level.

MAPR2: Burning Sands Zone: --------

MAPR3: Emerald Coast Zone: --------

MAPR4: Toxic Citadel Zone: --------

MAPR5: Frozen Night Zone: --------

I LOVE the changes made to this. The old FNZ was okay, but the new textures and scenery make this level look so much better. It also proves to be a lot less of a thokfest than it used to be, with the hazards actually getting in Sonic's way.

MAPR6: Metallic Hall Zone: --------

I don't mind this level being unchanged, but I still think the textures should be revamped, as the current textures make the level look much more dull than it normally is.

MAPR7: Heaven Pass Zone: --------

MAPR8: Corrupt Shrine Zone: --------

MAPR9: Endless Woods Zone: Keep It

I actually really like this map. It has a great use for shortcuts that Sonic players can use if they have good enough platforming skills. While at the same time putting Tails and Knuckles players at an advantage. It's an excellent way to balance out the characters. I say keep this for sure.

MAPRA: Egg Hall Zone: Keep It

Not a bad level at all. The use of the maces is perfectly fine, and not overused at all. The water section also helps this from becoming a thokfest. I agree with Neo on the red springs though, they completely fooled me when I played this for the first time.

MAPRB: Crimson Caves Zone: Keep It

The level flows nicely for Sonic players, and the platforming section isn't too over-the-top either. There are a LOT of flames everywhere in the background though, and they are very distracting. They should at least be toned down a bit, as they also make some of the rooms (specifically the room with the timed falling lava) laggy.

MAPRC: Thunder Factory Zone: Keep It

This is an awesome map, the way the fan gimmick is used is great. No complaints.

MAPRD: Rainbow Dash Zone: Leave It

I don't really find anything appealing with this map. Sure, it has platforming, but it's so basic that there's really nothing to like that much about it.

MAPRE: Not A Thokfest Zone: Leave It

I don't really get why a joke map is in this, at all. I remember playing this in the OLDC, and it was way back when I used to be a keyboard user. Let's just say I had a REALLY hard time with it. I can play with it fine, now that I use a mouse, but this map is NOT keyboard friendly at all, as maneuvering around in the air is much more difficult without strafing. The map also gets very repetitive really quick because of the fact that it's just bouncing on springs. The length doesn't help it either.

Last edited:
Just played it Crimson Caves...Without the Sonic 3D blast music, it just feels like it's lost the charm it once gave me for some reason (I don't know why).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back