What sound hardware was the OGG music rendered through again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Hog

No, seriously, I forget. I know whatever it was, it blew out (and then AJ replaced it, only for that to blow out within a week). I was wondering if I could find a soundfont meant to emulate it and try rendering vaguely-official-sounding tunes with it...

I sincerely doubt that. Doing a search for Sound Blaster 16 only yields OPL3 emulation, which sounds like this, as opposed to, say, this or this (not that I think either of these are the right box, especially since that latter one sounds like the dreaded GM.DLS, but it's closer to the right sound, anyway).

EDIT: Aha, figured it out. Korg X5DR and Yamaha SW60XG. Wonder which one of those it was he had to rebuy...? Either way, this sounds pretty accurate to our music quality. I understand he didn't just run a MIDI through a synthesizer and call it a day, but it's still pretty close. I'll be looking into this...

Last edited:
I don't remember having to rebuy anything...where did you hear that?

I still have all of the equipment... I should note that a Yamaha MU10 or DB50XG will also work as replacements for the SW60XG (ISA slot..good luck finding a computer with THAT nowadays).

What's kinda cool is that the Korg X5D(R) also has a lot of history in Sonic-dom... From being used in AoStH (the uploader is a liar... that music was composed to MIDI by Cyan and *I* rendered it), to its drum samples making an appearance in Sonic 3, to use in Sonic Adventure (that link is actually a re-creation, believe it or not), to also possible appearance in Sonic R and Sonic CD.

Of course, most of this is due to the fact it's considered a 'classic' synthesizer and was in the arsenal of many a musician for many, many, years. Unfortunately I am not talented enough to truly take advantage of it.

Last edited:
I don't remember having to rebuy anything...where did you hear that?
#'dev, pre-2.0. As I recall we wanted to render Spazzo's ACZ MIDI with it, but had to wait on you for some reason, and ultimately wound up doing it differently anyway. That's probably not the truth, but it's the truth as I remember it.

I was considering doing a bunch of Christmas tracks I'd cobbled together for Doom 2, but as of right this second, I'm at work and lack access to any MIDIs. I'll get back to you on that.

What about using the SRB2Xmas songs? A lot of those were also used in the original 'Christmas Doom'.

As a matter of fact, a fair few of the MIDIs are the exact same ones - I don't intend to ask you to re-render those, no.

(Also, I'll just note I really have not thought this through, I just wanted to know if I had the ability should it arise.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back