Can DLL files be viruses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatian

KartKrew™
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Some antispyware on my computer that I removed today was saying a DLL in my srb2(again) folder was a virus.

Which brings up the question, can they be viruses?

A DLL is not part of an EXE file. Rather, an EXE can load a DLL and use the code inside it. Both EXEs and DLLs are created from the same method, except that with DLLs you need to declare whatever functions will be usable from the calling application.

So yes, it can contain viruses.

But hang on a second. Did it classify the DLL as a Trojan? If yes, then it is likely a false positive and you should ignore your anti-virus (I've basically been having nothing but false positives lately).

It didn't say anything about it being a trojan, but It did say it was a virus of some type, I can't remember.

If a DLL is common and used in lots of games, it's probably safe. If it's a really exotic DLL, you might want to check the Windows web site to see if it's up there. If it is, it should be all right. If not, you may be well advised not to download it.

SSNTails said:
What DLL was it?
If it comes with SRB2, it's not a virus.

I'm not sure what DLL it was, I can't remember the name now because my new security blocks it.

Unblock it. Some antivirus programs mistake SRB2 for a virus because they can't figure out what it is, but everything that comes with the game is totally safe.

I'm using McAfee, and Fawful, Its not blocking Srb2, I just don't want a virus on my computer, who does?

What did this DLL file come with? I mean, you must have downloaded something that included it.

What I was going to download was not allowed to be talked about on this forum. (Its nothing inapporpiate, if thats what your thinking.) If you want to know, just pm me, and I'll tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back