Resource icon

Sonic Ability Design Contest (SADC) Release Thread

I think the thok is not... realistic.
I mean, how does Sonic actually thok? Does he get smacked on the back by an invisible ghost every time he says "thok"? Does he fart when he wants to thok? Is he a bullet, or maybe a rocket? It doesnt make sense, if you think about it...
Most of the abilities here are better, at least objectivelt, than the thok. I would remove double jump abilities from Sonic and give him Spamdash. But a bit less powerful then in sonic adventure because it would be too poweful.
That would make Sonic a fast character that can use the spamdash to do tight turns, and also it would give a reason why play as him and not knuckles or othet characters. I would also give him a homing attack, but maybe most people would disagree with that. The homing attack also made him different from other characters in Sonic Adventure, as killing enemies to progress on the level was faster with him.

If the SA1 movest is never gonna go in SRB2, then I would make a variation of the Momentum thok where you are given a little bit of speed if your speed very low. That way it would look more polished, make Sonic faster than others while not being a speed demon.

Last edited:
ffoxD said:
Ever wondered how can Tails use his tails like a propeller without them getting tangled up? Or how in the world does Knuckles use his dreadquills to catch rising hot air and glide (especially in snow-related zones)? How can Fang use his tail as a spring? How can Metal Sonic sustain his altitude without any additional jet thrusters? Where does Amy store her hammer? Why can Homing Attack automatically target enemies and how can it tell friend from foe? How does Double Jump allow you to jump in mid-air and why only once? Why swimming as a separate ability doesn't make SRB2 characters tired? How does Slow Fall work? How does Telekinesis work and why is it so limited? How does Fall Switch work and what makes it momentum-based? Well, Jump Boost is at least somewhat realistic at low actionspd values... How does Air Drill work? Again, why only once per jump? Why does it not break walls if it's a "drill"?
ffoxD said:
I would remove double jump abilities from Sonic and give him Spamdash
The problem that caused this whole discussion about Sonic's ability is the fact that new players ragequit because Sonic isn't suited for platforming as good as other characters. SpamDash instead of thok wouldn't remove that problem, but would cause a new problem: Sonic is entirely helpless in mid-air. And no, it wouldn't make Sonic "powerful" at all, given how most stages are heavily platforming-oriented. This is SRB2, not Sonic Adventure

Last edited:
ClimbThok: I... think it's neat? It's very situational, and it still has most of the problems the thok has. The execution feels clumsy.

Momentum Thok: I'm sure this is a good speedrunning ability, but it actually feels like it makes Sonic harder to use, not easier.

Epic Ability for Sonic: What is there to say? It does what it sets out to do absolutely perfectly.

ExThok: It's a slightly better thok, more controllable but fundamentally still just the thok. Also, doesn't work properly in simple controls, if you're holding the stick towards the camera Sonic goes away from the camera, backwards relative to the way he's facing.

Comet Dash + Recurl DropDash: The comet dash is better climbthok, much easier to use to get up walls. I like being able to recurl, I like having the dropdash there, but the combination of being able to fire it off mid-air but only being able to dropdash after you wall climb/spring feels like the unnatural result of a balancing issue pile-up.

Rebound Dash: I've been trying out the more updated version Krabs posted separately. I wouldn't say I like it all that much, it's kind of like diet Knuckles the way the Comet Dash used to be, except it has control issues that Knuckles doesn't run into. Sometimes you're going to want to face away from the wall after the second bounce, sometimes you want to face towards it, you don't really have a way to decide which one you get in the moment. Knuckles has all the time in the world to make up his mind and two detach buttons available.

Juke Thok: First impressions: So, when you're going forwards you hardly go anywhere, but when you're doing it backwards you fly into the unknown behind your camera uncontrollably. No thanks.

What the Thok: Ha ha. Is it supposed to be centered?

General thoughts: I don't think any of these should be the way forward for Sonic. It would have been nice to see something that wasn't a thok or a joke.

Last edited:
By the way, the results for the contest are in! Check the link in the first post to see!

I mean, how does Sonic actually thok? Does he get smacked on the back by an invisible ghost every time he says "thok"? Does he fart when he wants to thok? Is he a bullet, or maybe a rocket? It doesnt make sense, if you think about it...
My headcanon is that he does something similar to mario's midair dive in mario odyssey, where he propels himself forward.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back