Greenflower Act 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK.exe

The one and only!
Kart Krew™️
Ever wanted to play the 4th totally real Act of Greenflower?
No?
Well, here it is!

This was a joke level at first then I developed it into... well this.

There are 10 emblems to collect; 5 global, 2 knuckles, 1 sonic, 1 tails a Time emblem. Try and get them all!

Any bugs please report them here asap!

Changelog
v1.0
- Intial release

v1c
- FPS improvements
- Minor level design tweaks

Attachments

• srb21717.png
    srb21717.png
    248.9 KB · Views: 1,491
  • srb21714.png
    srb21714.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,435
  • srb21713.png
    srb21713.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,389
  • srb21711.png
    srb21711.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 1,547
  • scr_GFZ4.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,774
Last edited:
Ok, first of all, to those who may have low-end PCs/laptops; you may want to adjust your ingame settings to ensure that you will get the least amount of lag possible when playing this, as the map lagged alot for me. So, there's that.

Anyways, this map was actually fun to play though! It certainly was a very different experience from normal GFZ as you got to explore the area with a lot of space to spare.
The remix was also a nice touch, btw.

I do have some nitpicks about the level design, however.

Also, why are there pits? I know it's supposed to punish you, but isn't falling off the paths good enough? You could just put a lake or something, that leads to a lower path or something. It doesn't help that, there's some tight platforming on top of that, which both does not suit the "first zone" type. It's just kind of a dick move, really.

Anyways, that's all of the issues I have with this. Good job MK, and keep up the amazing work!

If the skybox causes any lag, which I'm sure it does, I honestly think the level would benefit from getting rid of it. The level is a joy to flow through once you know your way around, and the lag subtracts from that joy enormously.

So, onto the level: I loved it! I've called other levels "organic" before, but this one definitely takes the cake. Most people's slopes feel stiff and artificial, but you actually took the time to round the surfaces up and down and around in ways that I'd never think of. SRB2 has been such a flat-surface-fest for my entire life that I know I wouldn't have had the imagination for some of these curves. You'd think you modeled this level in Blender and not ZoneBuilder! Especially those freakin' arches. I can't tell you how much I love arches. It's not just the slopes, either; it's the way the outdoor areas and caves flow in and out of each other and the way the walls, ceilings and platforms overlap naturally that make this level feel so not like it was made on a grid. The rooms of the level just felt right. It's obvious that you had fun making this map. There's no half-assed areas, no place where you can say "yeah... MK just phoned it in on this room". The creativity and feeling of wonder just never runs out of steam.

I agree with Swift that the pits are a bit too punishing, and there's a particular crack in a platform (maybe I'll post a pic later if I'm not lazy) that sent me down into the abyss not one, not two, but three times! In a goddamn row! I may suck sometimes but I refuse to take responsibility for that one. :P
Also, this level highlights how, um, odd slopes still feel. Maybe this is something that can't be ironed out of the Doom engine. How natural can the physics feel when they're a mile-high stack of engine hacks? Or maybe it's something wrong with Sonic in general, as the more slopes there are, the less I feel in control, and the more I feel like the level is playing with me, toying around with me like I'm a ragdoll in a washing machine.
...Either way, it's not your fault, and the use of slopes is as masterful as I've seen in SRB2... so far!

Other than those gripes, though, I really enjoyed this level. It took me about 4 or 5 minutes just racing down the most obvious pathway, and I knew I'd left a lot of stuff unexplored, which makes me wanna play the level more. The ending came when I expected it, too, which shows a good feel for pacing.

All in all, stellar work MK. You took the GFZ clone and made it your own. It's definitely a worthy sequel to GFZ Holy Trinity.

If the skybox causes any lag, which I'm sure it does, I honestly think the level would benefit from getting rid of it. The level is a joy to flow through once you know your way around, and the lag subtracts from that joy enormously.

gGRQjmf.png

@Ice & Swift.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ok so for the next release since i do like the skybox i'll look into simplifying the skybox so it doesnt cripple FPS and as for the pits i dont want to remove, BUT!

I will rework some unnecessary pits into water areas and possibly make a new route.

Just finished playing it. Supurb job, man. It was freeesh! I like the different routes you can take. So it brings great replay value. The platform is pretty nice. I like the challenge. Then, we get one of those...infinite back-and-forth spring spaces (Somehow those are still funny to me) so that was entertaining to find in this level. Plus, I like how you edited GFZ3 and THZ1 to implement this level's pathway. Very nice touch. Overall, I enjoyed this. I needed that breath of fresh air to Greenflower!

Version 1c

New update with FPS fixes and some minor level design tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back