What is the difference between strafe and Standard ?

Octosona

bowser is pretty cool
So I've recently started playing SRB2 and I've been wondering what the difference between strafe and standard control options were in terms of gameplay , Does anyone know ?

The difference is that Strafe tries to replicate the original playstyle found in the older versions of SRB2, while Standard is the basic playstyle we have now.

Strafe control (Originally called "Legacy") is how SRB2 was played before Version 2.2. Your character always has their back turned toward the camera, and the Move Left and Right keys allow your character to strafe.

Standard Control allows you to move your character freely in any direction, but your character faces that direction and the camera only moves when you want it to.

So I've recently started playing SRB2 and I've been wondering what the difference between strafe and standard control options were in terms of gameplay , Does anyone know ?

strafe is standard but the character always looks where the camera is looking.

There's no gameplay difference, only a visual difference.
Standard really messes with my head. I can't get my head around the idea that Sonic thoks in the direction of the camera even though he's facing to the right.

For me, the big problem with Strafe in Software is that you're staring at a static image of Sonic's backside. For me, the 3d models in OpenGL give the character some depth in the scene -- character matches the camera's FOV, and the character has some parallax when you strafe. The 3d models in OGL give me some of the visual relief that I think the Standard scheme was intended to.

In Software with Strafe, you have this weird breakpoint where your strafing would finally get to such a strong angle that your diagonal sprites would kick in, which was a little bit jarring.

(Of course, this is all dependent on your "cam_speed" value.)

For me, the big problem with Strafe in Software is that you're staring at a static image of Sonic's backside. For me, the 3d models in OpenGL give the character some depth in the scene -- character matches the camera's FOV, and the character has some parallax when you strafe. The 3d models in OGL give me some of the visual relief that I think the Standard scheme was intended to.

That might explain why I felt like I had better perception with standard controls with models on. Interesting.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back