[Open Assets] Checkered Zig Zags, a graphics replacement! (CheckeredZigZags.wad)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Hoo boy. It's been quite some time since I last checked on this, hasn't it?

I'm just dropping by real quick to say that I am currently working on a new update for this wad! It's not dead!

Looking back at some of the old graphics, I noticed that a few things looked sort of cluttered or not very consistent with the overall... "style", I guess. The new update will probably amend that by making a couple of them smaller so that it matches SRB2's sizes better.
Green.gif
...Not TOO too different from what it was, though.

The new update will also allow you to save your game in a CZZ-specific save file!
Title.gif
You won't need to start an entire new save just for the wad either! It seems like copying and renaming your original gamedata.dat file is enough. You can't do the same thing for .ssg files, unfortunately.

Oh, things like the offsets will be fixed, too:
Techno.gif
This is the best I could do so that the countdown doesn't completely disappear in OpenGL mode since, for some reason, it pushes certain things downwards.

While the new update will mostly focus on changing the previous graphics a bit, there will still be some new things as well! There's a lot of work that still needs to be done, though, so unfortunately I can't see this being released very soon... Please understand.

Well, I really didn't expect an update, to be honest. The new changes are looking nice so far, on the first and third GIF, is that a new score, time & rings HUD I spy?

I completely agree.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

Good luck on that

The update's finally here! Sorry for taking so long but hopefully this'll be worth the wait!

In addition to the semi-overhaul that I did with almost all of the graphics, this update also allows you to save your game in a separate save file! And just like I mentioned a few months ago, you can copy and rename your "gamedata.dat" file into "czzsave.dat" if you don't want to loose all your progress.

You know, something that always bothered me in the old version were the ring animations. If you checked inside of the wad you could've seen how... unoptimized they were. This update changes that! I edited quite a few of the states so that the animations run smoothly and so that the wad isn't filled with unnecessary copies of the same graphics! Be warned, however, that if any other wad or mod makes use of certain states that I changed, some animations might look a bit weird. Nothing game-breaking, though! All objects should still function perfectly fine!

I also removed certain graphics since I felt some of them were somewhat unnecessary. I will still keep version 1.5a up, though. So if, for some reason, you really like something that's been removed or changed it's not gone forever! Oh, I also did a quick fix on the race countdown offsets on the old version, too, so there should be nothing interfering with the gameplay if you want to use it.

The update's finally here! Sorry for taking so long but hopefully this'll be worth the wait!

In addition to the semi-overhaul that I did with almost all of the graphics, this update also allows you to save your game in a separate save file! And just like I mentioned a few months ago, you can copy and rename your "gamedata.dat" file into "czzsave.dat" if you don't want to loose all your progress.

You know, something that always bothered me in the old version were the ring animations. If you checked inside of the wad you could've seen how... unoptimized they were. This update changes that! I edited quite a few of the states so that the animations run smoothly and so that the wad isn't filled with unnecessary copies of the same graphics! Be warned, however, that if any other wad or mod makes use of certain states that I changed, some animations might look a bit weird. Nothing game-breaking, though! All objects should still function perfectly fine!

I also removed certain graphics since I felt some of them were somewhat unnecessary. I will still keep version 1.5a up, though. So if, for some reason, you really like something that's been removed or changed it's not gone forever! Oh, I also did a quick fix on the race countdown offsets on the old version, too, so there should be nothing interfering with the gameplay if you want to use it.
Hooray!
I'm gonna enjoy this!
Your work will not be wasted, I'm gonna be using this for quite a while!

So I really like this, and I would like to use it all the time. I really like the rings, title screen, and character select especially. I didn't notice the rings at first but after comparing them they really are much prettier imo and the character art is just next level beautiful. Really goes well with the Genesis music wad too.

Unfortunately this still deletes my save though. The statistics and everything gets copied over when I make the czzsave.dat but the actual save file itself is missing and I simply have all the "No Data" boxes. I've tried with and without the original gamedata.dat file in the srb2 folder.

This is great! To be honest SRB2 could really use something like this added to the official game, i tried it though and it doesn't save for me, this is still really cool though.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back