Enemy issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

WellDoneSnake

Yoko Shimomura
I'm not sure if I was suppose to make another thread with a soc problem instead of posting in the old one (which I managed to fix the item problem).
This issue is quite different, I made my first custom enemy: "BombNik". It's a enemy that almost has the same set of behaviours and actions as the "Bob-om" in the Mario games. Here is the soc and wad and again the pics were made by me.
I felt I wasn't detailed enough in my previous threads, so please read this spoiler that is supposed to demonstrate what the soc does.
1) The first three states (1820-1822) are the looking states.
2) The SeeStates (the states that is when it spots you, 1823-1825).
3) The states for when it chases you (these states are after the seestate, 1826-1828) however the "A_Chase" is looped so you the object only uses "A_FaceTarget" once.
4) I added meleestates and those are the same as the deathstates as if the enemy gets too close or gets attacked it explodes (1830-1833), the first action of those states is "A_Explode" which is supposed to hurt the player (but it doesn't) then the rest of those states are blank as the are just used for different "F008" death/explosion frames.
5) The object's flags are: "MF_ENEMY", "MF_SPECIAL" and "MF_SHOOTABLE".
6) One more thing, because I was using the action state "A_Explode" I did add a damage value.

So now that you've read that I can tell you the problem properly. When the enemy explodes it doesn't hurt the player, how do I make it do 'actual damage' to a player that is at least 32-64 fracunits from the enemy.

I've found out an amasing thing while debugging your enemy...
A_Explode doesnt work on the player (it still damages other badniks though).
Try raising damage to like 5000 and pop that bombnik in a place full with crawla's to see what i mean..

I've found out an amazing thing while debugging your enemy...
A_Explode doesn't work on the player (it still damages other badniks though).
Try raising damage to like 5000 and pop that bombnik in a place full with crawla's to see what i mean..
Ok I'll try this.

EDIT:
Nothing happened, the crawlas weren't affected by the BombNik. Just how do I get it to hurt players and enemies?

Last edited:
Well, uh, for the record, the "damage" for A_Explode is actually supposed to be the radius (or range) of the area to damage stuff in, measured in fracunits naturally. Just mentioning that in case it helps.

Well, uh, for the record, the "damage" for A_Explode is actually supposed to be the radius (or range) of the area to damage stuff in, measured in fracunits naturally. Just mentioning that in case it helps.
The info does help in a sense that I know learned that the damage is done in radius. But it doesn't fix the "blowing up my foes and I" problem. Maybe I'll try A_RingExplode or some other actions.
Actually I just got an idea, maybe when the enemy dies it spawns a type of hazard. The deathstates would be the sprite for the hazard, if those little explosion particles touch the player, it will cause harm. (Not sure if it would work for hurting enemies though).

Actually I just got an idea, maybe when the enemy dies it spawns a type of hazard. The deathstates would be the sprite for the hazard, if those little explosion particles touch the player, it will cause harm. (Not sure if it would work for hurting enemies though).
You mean like A_OldRingExplode?

*Sorry for the final double post*
Just finally informing you guys that it's fixed, I managed to also get the A_Explode to work along with the A_OldRingExplode so thanks for the info.

More detail about this will be revealed in future (when my mod beta is shown).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back