ANALOG VS normal srb2 control

Status
Not open for further replies.

WellDoneSnake

Yoko Shimomura
What type of gameplay option do you prefer playing in srb2?
Analog or normal

I prefer Analog most of the time because I'm obsessed with trying to recreate the modern sonic gameplay. Sometimes I use normal gameplay if I'm on coop or race, also you should know that I usually play srb2 with a gamepad.

EDIT:Ok seeing as a greater majority of the srb2mb members dislike analog, do they also dislike srb2 with modern sonic gameplay?
I like most of the classic gameplay now when it comes to srb2 however I also like the some modern actions put into the gameplay, e.g. Speedpads! :)
EDIT Again: Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Analog is extremely crippling when you're trying to do precise jumps or thoks, because without the camera following your angle, you have pretty much no way of knowing exactly which direction you're going. So normal.

Also, this type of topic belongs in SRB2 Discussion, not General Discussion. I moved it for you.

Analog is extremely crippling when you're trying to do precise jumps or thoks, because without the camera following your angle, you have pretty much no way of knowing exactly which direction you're going. So normal.

Also, this type of topic belongs in SRB2 Discussion, not General Discussion. I moved it for you.

I've found making jumps no harder with Analog then they are with regular, (and I use a gamepad with the analog sticks even) but the thok IS problematic. I'll usually do a spin-dash jump first, then correct my angle with a thok after, seems to do me just fine.

Obviously, I use Analog with a gamepad, as it just feels better to me, but i'll switch to normal controls sometimes as well, just to ensure I don't get horribly awful at them in the case my gamepad breaks.

The pro with using an analog with dual joysticks is I find it easier for platforming, but with the mouse/keyboard, it's easier to aim properly when in a gametype where you have to defeat opponents using rings.

Normal controls, I can't stand analog.

Unlike most people, though, I don't like keyboard–mouse controls either; I prefer keyboard-only. I occasionally practice with the mouse so that I can play Match, but otherwise I avoid it as much as I can. I don't notice keyboard-only ever negatively impacting my performance.

You know it would be nice if the right stick on most gamepads ((usually Xbox controllers these days)) actually you know... controlled the camera??? Then it would work a lot better.

Thanks

The only problem I have with the analog is that the camera is sometimes confusing.
(This is short because I had to go to bed)
Let me elaborate on this (advantages and disadvantages):
-Analog is fun to use when you have a gamepad
-It is rubbish if you use a keyboard with it unless you are able to keep the camera rotating keys in reach therefore making the game play a bit easier.
-analog camera is bad because it does not follow the player around properly (e.g. when you turn a slightly sharp corner)
-I believe that the only way that analog camera can be good is if the camera acts follows the style of the sa2b style (it aligns you with your path), the only way to achieve this now is by using linedef 5 (camera scanner). Go to youtube and check out the sa2b levels and you'll understand what I'm talking about
-Analog allows the player to have a modern sonic feel whereas normal srb2 control gives you either a doom 2 feel or a easy control classic feel.

The only reason I use the analog gameplay sometimes is because
TSDude-repeat said:
-Analog allows the player to have a modern sonic feel
It is the closest thing I got to the modern sonic games (except for blitz sonic ultra, sonic gdk and sonic reloaded).

(BTW: If you find that my statements may contrast with each other, it is probably because I usually hold a two sided view, when it comes to games)

Anyhoo...
Who thinks that analog mode should be killed?

Who thinks that analog mode should be killed?
Well, I wouldn't say it should be outright killed. Some people apparently prefer using it, and it's completely invisible to those who don't. But I have been told that analog it automatically enabled when you plug in a gamepad, and that should be changed.

I wonder how easy it is to beat ERZ with analog mode on?...

Anyway, I prefer normal, but that's probably mostly because it's the mode I'm more used to.

If it did even work at all for multiplayer, I'd imagine it'd be a terrible choice for any of the 1st person shooter gametypes (after all how easy is it to actually *shoot* accurately with that sort of control mode?).

I wonder how easy it is to beat ERZ with analog mode on?...

Anyway, I prefer normal, but that's probably mostly because it's the mode I'm more used to.

If it did even work at all for multiplayer, I'd imagine it'd be a terrible choice for any of the 1st person shooter gametypes (after all how easy is it to actually *shoot* accurately with that sort of control mode?).
I beat ERZ easily with analog, the only problem was the boss.

I agree with you about the multiplayer match problems with analog mode, the only multiplayer levels that are good for it is race, coop and... I think that's it.

What's with all the bullshit about analog being amazing with gamepads. It's awfully crippling because of SRB2's spontaneous fast-slow gameplay style and feels NOTHING like how an adventure game controls because the camera is totally manual. Nothing is automatic at all, forcing you to constantly turn it yourself for every thok, every turn, and every single god damn room you walk into. Not to mention gamepads play even BETTER on the normal camera, I seriously just hope it gets the axe in 2.1.

And it turns on by default when you plug in a gamepad.
This ISN'T how you introduce players for an already odd-to-control Sonic game, so I'm assuming it's an overlook.

Last edited:
If it were possible that would be a nice thing to throw in. If you're using "analog mode" it would just have the camera automatically change. But oh well.

What's with all the bullshit about analog being amazing with gamepads. It's awfully crippling because of SRB2's spontaneous fast-slow gameplay style and feels NOTHING like how an adventure game controls because the camera is totally manual.
Like I said earlier:
-I believe that the only way that analog camera can be good is if the camera acts follows the style of the sa2b style (it aligns you with your path)
With the use of linedef 5, the camera will seem more sa2b-like, the only problem is that the camera won't rotate fully when it is used on it's target sector/fof.

I used analog mode for a long time in srb2, since I couldn't get used to the default controls (this was during the time when the default controls didn't make too much sense). I got used to the quirks of analog mode pretty quickly. I used the shoulder buttons for camera rotate and camera reset.

Online modes I always used chasecam off, since it gave me greater control where I wanted to thok. I used to play with the gamepad in my left hand and use the mouse with the other, but I use the keyboard + mouse now for the rare times I actually play srb2.

You know it would be nice if the right stick on most gamepads ((usually Xbox controllers these days)) actually you know... controlled the camera??? Then it would work a lot better.
You can set the controls so that the right stick controls the camera. I did that on mine and it works fine.

The only problem I have with the analog is that the camera is sometimes confusing.
Yeah, I noticed it gets stuck more than with a mouse and keyboard. I alleviated this issue somewhat by setting the camera reset button, though.

I personally prefer the mouse and keyboard control in almost every case. Some games like Batman: Arkham Asylum or Tomb Raider feel better with a controller for me, and of course I prefer a controller in classic games. In the case of SRB2, the mouse and keyboard feels more precise, but I use a controller for playing split screen with friends.

Tomb Raider feel better with a controller for me, and of course I prefer a controller in classic games. In the case of SRB2, the mouse and keyboard feels more precise, but I use a controller for playing split screen with friends.
Tomb Raider really does suit analog control, if the controls where mouse + keyboard, it would make the gameplay more like "Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater".

I use both, but usually normal: using a 360 controller.
Map Y-axis to forward/backward, X-axis to strafe, X-Rudder (RS X-axis) to (camera) left/right... just like a good ol' FPS we used to know and love. ;)
Trying to map left/right to LT/RT, but which axis/rudder is that? Surely not U and V...

New title/question: ANALOG&Modern sonic gameplay VS normal srb2 control&classic gameplay
(also check my first post again since new information was added)

First off, I wouldn't edit new questions into the OP after so much discussion on the old questions has already transpired.

Second off, SRB2 is and always has been about trying to make a 3D Sonic game like the originals, to a limited extent (since a lack of slopes does mean the whole "pinball physics" aspect doesn't really translate well). It is not and likely never will be about making it like recent Sonic titles. If you want that, go buy Generations and look into all the mods coming out for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back