Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I thought Hughes was the other guy... the one with the flashback. What was the name of Hughes' friend then?

You know what I just noticed about your post, JEV?

I'm not entirely sure what to expect from Col. Hughes... He hasn't had as much attention as the other state alchemists...

Hughes isn't a state alchemist and he isn't (or wasn't, at least) a Colonel. He's just an investigative Major of the military, and he certainly not a state alchemist.

I think you're actually referring to Colonel Roy Mustang.

Okay I think I have it now. I guess I should ask what other names I need to know to avoid looking like an idiot. I know Major Armstrong, Ed and Al Elric, Winry, Granny, Mustang and Hughes (I know, ok?), Lust, Gluttony, Envy, and "the fuhrer"... Don't remember the librarian's name, but I don't think she's important.

I recognized Envy's first disguise at the end of episode 10 but I don't remember who it was... the second, not so much- but judging from the reaction I assumed it was family.

Maybe I should be watching the subs if only for the character bumpers. D=

Major Armstrong = Alex Louis Armstrong. Might want to remember at least the first name, because you'll be meeting his (incredibly badass) sister Olivier soon enough, and they both go by "Armstrong".

"Granny" is Pinako Rockbell. She's not really a major character, so don't feel too bad about not knowing her name.

"The Fuhrer" is Fuhrer King Bradley - King is his first name, not a title (that'd be "Fuhrer", obviously). He also has another name, which you'll learn in a few episodes (#14, I'm pretty sure - so about four weeks from now).

The librarian's name is Sheska. She was a more major character (if you could call it that) in the first anime - IIRC she'll more or less disappear in a few episodes, so don't worry too much about her.

The two bodyguards that were accompanying Ed and Al around the Lab 5 incident were Maria Ross and Denny Brosh. Both were very minor characters in the first anime; Brosh is still a minor character in this one, so don't worry about him, but Ross is going to be important in a couple of episodes.

Major Armstrong = Alex Louis Armstrong. Might want to remember at least the first name, because you'll be meeting his (incredibly badass) sister Olivier soon enough, and they both go by "Armstrong".

Of course, I assume she does not have the same habit of taking of her shirt without warning...

The two bodyguards that were accompanying Ed and Al around the Lab 5 incident were Maria Ross and Denny Brosh. Both were very minor characters in the first anime; Brosh is still a minor character in this one, so don't worry about him, but Ross is going to be important in a couple of episodes.

I assumed they were just there for comic relief. The fact that they were charged with protecting a couple state alchemists while being utterly clueless was pretty funny.

Of course, I assume she does not have the same habit of taking of her shirt without warning...
No, she fortunately does not.
Fullmetal Alchemist - 53 - Large 20.jpg

Fullmetal Alchemist - 53 - Large 27.jpg

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg
Dear God, so satisfying.

So, this week's episode is the big one. I can't say I was surprised by the reveal, but I loved seeing the Fuhrer in action. "Father" also shows up in this episode however I did not see much of him and a face that is not familiar does not really tell you much about the character. Al's flashback was a tad underwhelming, though I might guess the fact that he still saw more than Ed might have some more relevance later on.

They've started showing previews now, I can look forward to seeing Scar next episode along with some little girl. I wanna see more of Roy though. I'm also wondering how and when Winry will play into later episodes. Guess that is the problem with serials that are only 30 mins long. You can't be sure how long it will be before you see a character again unless its the main protagonist.

Well, if you needed a good look at his face, then here you go. Otherwise, wait another 14 episodes, you'll get an entire episode dedicated to him.

I'm a bit surprised they chose the voice they did - doesn't sound nearly old and wizened enough - but comparing the voice actor and seiyuu, it begins to make sense (in the case of both the original and the Funi dub, Father and the narrator are the same actor). I guess I'm just going to have to get used to Father sounding like Col. Roy Campbell all the time. (Different actor, sure, but they sure do sound similar.)

You want more Roy? Good news! You'll be getting more Roy! He's got a twofer of CMOAs coming up very soon, back-to-back. I won't say what, but you'll probably like 'em. As for Winry... well, you'll have to wait a bit longer for her backstory to be of relevance, but it'll happen soon after.

I didn't see any of his face and I totally knew "Father" was <snip>. I'm proud of myself.

Yeah, not even spoiler tags for those who didn't watch the first anime. The spoiler is that intense.

Well CK, the show has not caught me off-guard since the first five minutes of episode 2. Episode 4 was a big deal, but mostly because I saw it coming. I'd like to see something come totally out of left field, but I need a good red herring to obsess over.

Y'mean Von Hohenheim?
I was gonna use his other identity but... sure why not. Level 3 spoiler tags on this.
Ed and Al's Dad (if first anime is to be believed) Or as it's been called by someone I know who read the manga...
The Philosopher's Stone itself.

I just started watching; and as much as I may have never thought I'd say this, but this is better than Naruto Shippuden (uncut), by a long shot. The animation runs so much smoother, it looks so much better that it easily beats Naruto movies (or Bleach), there aren't any scenes were people are just staring at each other, or is reused, and I don't feel nerdy watching it.

So is this season 2? Even aside from the intro and ending themes changing, I noticed quite a few differences from the previous episodes. Mainly that the gags seemed concentrated during parts of the episode that were suited for them.

I'm not really seeing much relevance with the Xing here. Although I assume that it is no coincidence that two separate parties have suddenly taken an interest in immortal life. Additionally, the dialogue between the prince and his lackeys tells me that he may have left something out in his story. The girl's story will probably help to fill in the loose ends.

Also, Alphonse can do alchemy without a circle. I was hoping that he'd be able to do that after his memories came back. Although I hope this doesn't mean that his clunky robot martial arts doesn't go anywhere, I rather like mild-mannered Al and it was awesome seeing him actually use the alchemy at the end of that fight.

I liked the scene with Roy Mustang, but I want more! Rather impressive that he kept his cool even after 66 made that remark. Although 66 is a serial killer, Roy probably knew he would have readily confessed to it if he had and accept all the notoriety that comes with it.

Also, I liked the old ending better. It was stylized and the song was memorable. The animation for this one seems lazy and it might take me a while to warm up to the new song.

Okay, I'm confused. Apparently there need to be five sacrifices, and they're making a big deal about how Mustang is gonna be the final one... but there are only four absolutely defined sacrifices here - Ed, Al, Izumi and Mustang. Who's the fifth? Hohenheim?

Also...

Roy loses his eyes? Ouch. That's a pretty important body part to lose. The other guys got off easy, considering...

Roy loses his eyes? Ouch. That's a pretty important body part to lose. The other guys got off easy, considering...
I know a guy who read and analyzes mangas. Basically, that white outline-guy (God?) at the gate is the biggest dick ever.

Here's a rundown of what I was told.
The Gate Guy gives the alchemist what they are trying to human-transmute in some form, but takes away the alchemist's ability to enjoy it.

• Ed loses the arm and leg with which to support his family
  • Al loses the body with which to feel the warmth of his mother's love.
  • Izumi loses the ability to carry the seed of life.
  • Mustang loses the eyesight with which to see the world of which he dreams to create.
So yeah, God is a dick in FMA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back